Hi everyone,

At the beginning of this month, I signed up with Verizon for the Blackberry Curve 8330 and a wireless PC Card. Generally speaking, I love them both (except that I only get a two bar signal in my apartment; I think it is because of all the trees).

However, I do have a few questions/concerns/problems that I need some assistance with. I thank you in advance for your patience.

1. What is mass storage mode?

2. Early this week, my Blackberry stopped charging with the travel charger. So I walked over to my laptop and plugged it into the USB cord, and at first it wouldn't charge there either. So, I reset the phone (I got the software from here), and now I am able to charge the Blackberry with the USB cord, but not the travel charger. Do you think something is wrong with the phone, or with the charger? I am still within my first 30 days.

3. How do I check my minutes and my balance? Verizon says to text or dial #min or #bal, but with the Blackberry, it doesn't seem as though I have alpha-numeric dialing. Meaning, I can't dial 1-800-mattres, I have to have the actual numbers to dial. Unless there is something I am missing?

4. I know this is a Blackberry forum, but I also have a question about data usage for my PC card. I am on the $59.99 per month plan with 5 GB of data. Well, when I got my first bill, my data usage was $190 OVER, so my actual bill just for the PC Card was more like $250!!! I thought that the PC card offered unlimited internet access, and the data usage was based on the size of the files I download that month. Now I'm confused...how is data usage actually calculated, and how can I keep my bill low each month?

Thanks again,

Adrianne

P.S. Oh yeah, I installed the Blackberry Desktop Software that came on the CD with my phone. It was really glitchy, and I had to reinstall it several times (I have Vista). Then, I finally got it to work, and then a few days ago it stopped working again (when I start the software, it starts to synch with my Blackberry, then after awhile Windows sends me a message that the software stopped responding, and to close it. When I restart it , it does the same thing. Meanwhile, the Blackberry is left in synch mode (the screen shows that the Blackberry is still connected to the laptop), so when I go into Windows to stop the external drive (or whatever terminology they use...I forget), Windows says it is safe to remove the hardware, but the Blackberry still shows the phone as connected to the laptop. So, so far I have just been shutting the phone off...but I have noticed that all my calender entries and reminders are not transferring properly between the phone and Outlook. Should I reinstall the Blackberry Desktop Software (again)?
    Last edited by affirmwealth; 10-31-08 at 11:13 AM. Reason: I just remembered one more thing
    10-31-08 11:03 AM
    Mass storage mode is where you can view your memory card stuff on the computer. For instance, if you have mass storage mode turned on, when you hook your berry up to your computer, the computer will pop up a menu to ask you if you want to load your media from your memory card to your computer. I personally have mine turned on so that I can view my media when I have my berry pluged in to my puter, it is a personal preference thing. As far as the phone not charging with the wall charger, it sounds like something might be wrong with the phone, I would think about returning it and getting a new one. To call a number like 1-800-mattres, dial the 1-800 part like normal, and then hold down the "alt"key, and press the letters matters, and they will show up on the screen and automatically be converted to the numbers that correspond to them. As far as the pc-card, you got me. Sorry but I cant help you there. Anyway, good luck and I hope that this helped. Have fun and keep Berrying, and welcome to Crackberry!!
    10-31-08 11:11 AM
    4. I know this is a Blackberry forum, but I also have a question about data usage for my PC card. I am on the $59.99 per month plan with 5 GB of data. Well, when I got my first bill, my data usage was $190 OVER, so my actual bill just for the PC Card was more like $250!!! I thought that the PC card offered unlimited internet access, and the data usage was based on the size of the files I download that month. Now I'm confused...how is data usage actually calculated, and how can I keep my bill low each month?

Thanks again,

Adrianne
    VZW bills a month in advance, so your first bill should be for a pro-rated amount of the first month plus the upcoming month, with your activation fee, it seems higher than normal. If the $190 is indeed overage, then you surpassed the 5gb usage allowance. The 5 gb applies to all usage, not just downloads. Any time you are on the net (transfering data) it is adding up. I have never seen a customer surpass that with simple browsing however. Also, there is a Verizon Wireless forum here, please post VZW related questions there. Welcome to crackberry!
    10-31-08 11:17 AM
    Thank you for your responses so far. I think with the PC card what happened is that I leave it on all the time...even when I am sleeping or not at home (I use it as my primary internet connection).

Next time I will remember to post that question in the right forum. Thanks again.
    10-31-08 11:27 AM
    No problem, use VZ Access manager on your desktop and just "disconnect" the card whenever you are not using it. There is a button there that will connect and disconnect the card.
    10-31-08 11:29 AM
    I am trying to back up my address book to my mac and then tranfer it to my I phone help!!! it wont work
    01-05-09 11:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD