So, reading through Stoner's guide on increasing free memory on my BB, he says the following:

In order to run smoothly, our 'berrys needs roughly 12,000,000 of free space.
    Now, I got my Curve yesterday, and I have installed the Facebook app and the CB app. However, my status page says "File Free: 9,008,734 bytes", and "File Total: 52,953,088".

So, if I just got my BB yesterday, why do I have less than the recommended amount of free space? I've noticed my OS running a little sluggishly, which is why I am already looking around for solutions. How much would a 2gb media card help?
    08-03-08 03:16 PM
    Putting everything you can on a media card is the best thing you can and follow the guide to remove un-needed files.

Clear the browser cache and pull the battery with the device on and replace it after 30 seconds and see how much the free file increases.
    08-03-08 03:20 PM
    A media card and Device memory are two completely different things. You need a media card for pics, wallpapers, videos, etc. You want none of these on your device memory. Try pulling that the battery out while the device is on, wait a minute and check what your free file is at. Also make sure to fully close out an application when you are finished with it by hitting the menu button, scroll down and select close...
    08-03-08 03:23 PM
    So, if I just got my BB yesterday, why do I have less than the recommended amount of free space? I've noticed my OS running a little sluggishly, which is why I am already looking around for solutions. How much would a 2gb media card help?
    Because BlackBerries come out of the box with things you do not need, some of which take up a lot of memory. First, remove the BlackBerry sample video and preloaded pics (that will recover about 4Mb +)

Then proceed to follow Stoner's other tips... he is on top of the memory game and really takes care of his guide (updating, helping, etc)

Our Consumer BlackBerrys come packed full of features, samples, themes and support for highly sophisticated communications. It makes for a great, out of the box experience. It also represents the working limits of the device. The geeks had to stop somewhere, or there would be no free memory at all.
    08-03-08 03:27 PM
    Hello & welcome to the addiction!!!
    08-03-08 03:28 PM
    Wow... a battery pull (the first one was a little scary) brought me up to 17,143,821 free... what exactly was deleted?
    08-03-08 04:26 PM
    Wow... a battery pull (the first one was a little scary) brought me up to 17,143,821 free... what exactly was deleted?
    you may never know........lol
    08-03-08 04:27 PM
    A battery pull reboots your device and reloads the OS in contiguous memory. That recovers the memory that's been fragmented as programs start and stop. Some programs release their memory properly, others don't. A battery pull lets the OS have a fresh start at managing the memory, and almost always recovers memory. As with any electrical system, interrupting the power causes stress to the system, and should not be done more frequently than necessary. There is a remote chance that a battery pull could result in a corrupted OS, requiring you to reinstall your OS. It's very remote, but it can happen. Here's a good resource on the subject by Patrick Waugh, a BlackBerry developer: http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/coo...ing-app-47525/
    Last edited by JeffH; 08-03-08 at 04:33 PM. Reason: typo
    08-03-08 04:32 PM
    Actually what BB is saying is that you have 10-12 meg of memory which you will never be able to use effectively!!!!
    08-03-08 05:54 PM
    I would just as soon not use the device memory at all if it means my BB stays snappy.
    08-03-08 06:24 PM
    Because BlackBerries come out of the box with things you do not need, some of which take up a lot of memory. First, remove the BlackBerry sample video and preloaded pics (that will recover about 4Mb +)

Then proceed to follow Stoner's other tips... he is on top of the memory game and really takes care of his guide (updating, helping, etc)

I agree. Stoner has it covered on memory.

Newsguy, unfortunately, you will have to use your device memory for apps. Also, you will still have some memory leaks - regardless of freeing up memory thru optimization. But, it does give you the option of additional memory.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 08-03-08 at 06:42 PM.
    08-03-08 06:40 PM
    I have another question. Currently, whenever I receive an email on my BB, it will show up in both the email inbox and the message inbox. I have selected the option to keep SMS and Email inboxes separate, but it does not seem to change anything when it is set one way versus the other. Is there a fix?
    08-03-08 07:23 PM
    I have another question. Currently, whenever I receive an email on my BB, it will show up in both the email inbox and the message inbox. I have selected the option to keep SMS and Email inboxes separate, but it does not seem to change anything when it is set one way versus the other. Is there a fix?
    By design, the Messages folder aggregates all the email inboxes. If you separate SMS and emails, then SMS's will stay in their folder and emails will stay in theirs, but all emails will still go to the messages folder as well. You can hide the Messages folder if you don't want to see everything in one place.
    08-03-08 07:30 PM
    Ooohhh I've got it now. Thanks.
    08-03-08 07:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD