I am totally new on this forum but I hope someone can help me with a really stupid question.

I always wanted a Blackberry, but never had one. Ironically, due to the negative media coverage lately about RIM, that kept RIM in my mind more than usual, and I went out and bought a Blackberry Bold 9790 last week.

Now I am totally new to the Blackberry platform and I thought all I had to do was take the SIM card out of my Android phone and put it in the Blackberry and it would work. Well I can make calls with it , send text messages with it and surf the web with the browser. But I can�t access App World, Facebook (from the app) or join the BBM.

Through a little research I found out that I need a special �Blackberry plan� to use the Blackberry features. So I went around to ask various carriers about their Blackberry plans.

One carrier I asked was selling me on a �data plan� he said that I can access all the Blackberry features. But the thing that worries me is that nowhere in the documentation he provided does it mention Blackberry. I am afraid he is just trying to sell me the same kind of plan I have now for the Android phone.

So here�s the question. If the guy wants to sell me a �data plan� and verbally tells me it�s a �blackberry plan� but I am not sure about this, I�d like him to write something on the contract when I sign it o make sure that it�s what I need. That way if it turns out to be something else, I can complain about it.

So question: What do I need him to write? �Blackberry plan�? That sounds too vague. �BIS access plan�? I�ve heard this term in relation to Blackberry but I don�t really know if it�s appropriate here. Any suggestions would be helpful.

And please�I know this is a really stupid question so if possible refrain from sarcastic remarks. Perhaps I should have researched more about it first and I fully realize this.
    07-07-12 12:48 AM
    Can you provide what country you're in and the carriers you inquired about BIS with?
    Some companies just say data plan but it's generic (for iOS/Android) - just make sure they have access to Blackberry Internet Service (BIS).
    07-07-12 12:53 AM
    07-07-12 12:56 AM
    I'm in Hong Kong. The carriers I have inquired with:

3: Useless. They want to sell me a 500 KB per month plan!!!
    One2Free: Not much better; 10 MB per month. Useless.
    PCCW: 3 GB but a bit on the expensive side.
    Vodafone: This is the one I talked about in my post. 400 MB which should be enough for me as I currently have a 400MB limit on my Android phone and never go over that. But as I said I'm a little afraid about the wording of their contract.

(I have a tablet too and a separate data plan for that and that's why 400MB on the phone is enough for me).

All of the above carriers have "unlimited" data plans available but the price just isn't worth it for me considering my data usage.

And thanks for that link I'll check it out.
    Last edited by ntomyng; 07-07-12 at 02:22 AM.
    07-07-12 02:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD