I've got the 8320 from T-Mobile with OS 4.2.2.180 as it came from the carrier. I've been reading around on the site and found that upgrading the OS can give you some new features and it has intrigued me. For one I like the idea of being able to record video and being able to read HTML emails though I likely won't be using video often (it'd be very cool to have). First question I have is what features will the latest OS v4.6.x.xxx give me over what I currently have? Second question is what issues might I have since it's not supported by my carrier?

Also, I'm using this phone for personal use and for mostly lack of being ambitious enough to transfer everything to work through Outlook (I only got it recently) I am using webmail and have all my contacts in there. Am I able to sync my BB to my contacts in webmail? It's not clear to me if I can.

Any suggestions, advice, answers, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
    10-11-08 07:12 PM
    You will not be able to utilize 4.6 from what I am reading / hearing. Only the newer models are said to be able to utilize this (Bold, Storm/Thunder & Curve 8900 and Pearl 8220)

Another plus is that the UI seems faster and less sluggish (4.5).

The only issue you may run into is not being able to view html emails if you carrier has not upgraded their BIS, which I believe t-mobile did.

Duvi
    10-11-08 07:27 PM
    I meant to put v4.5.0.81 - I was going off memory and got it wrong. I'm going to delete this post and repost it under the 83XX section. I'm curious why some have decided to put it on and why others have not. The whole pros and cons thing. I'll also write a separate post about synching up my webmail contacts.
    10-12-08 12:25 PM
    how long have you had your blackberry? if its still new dont update the os. you need to get comfortable with it before you go and do that, the risk of nuking it isnt worth it.
    10-12-08 12:38 PM
    New features in v4.5xx

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Device Software

... I am using webmail and have all my contacts in there. Am I able to sync my BB to my contacts in webmail?
    That is little tougher, BlackBerry Sync supports Yahoo webmail, but that may not help if you are using a different provider.

If you webmail service also supports POP3, you can use Outlook or the free Outlook Express to get access to your contacts. From there, it is simple to sync them to your device.
    10-12-08 12:52 PM
    No problem. You can also look in the device forums and look for the sticky and read the reviews.

10-12-08 12:55 PM
    No problem. You can also look in the device forums and look for the sticky and read the reviews.

I read through the sticky on the new OS but it was a HUGE thread and several pages in I didn't see what I was looking for. In fact most people were discussing some better usability with WiFi and Bluetooth and a couple of other things. I've also been reading a lot on the site since I got my BB two weeks ago and I've been going through the BB 101 Lecture series - which is great! I'd still like to know some things about OS upgrades though that I didn't see. Are the only pros of this new OS the video recording capability, ability to read HTML email, and the better workability of the WiFi calling with Bluetooth? Also, any drawbacks? Will it affect support from TMO if anything goes wrong? Are there any features I'll lose? Any help in that area would be greatly appreciated.

As for synching to webmail contacts...I was afraid you'd say that. I'm using a different webmail provider from Yahoo but had been using it for a while when I didn't have Outlook on my home PC. I just got it however a few months ago for dirt cheap and just haven't gotten around to fully setting it up because it'll be so time consuming and I'd rather be doing other things. Guess, I gotta get motivated to do it now. No worries..it'll be better in the long run for me.

Thanks for the help.
    10-12-08 01:16 PM
    New features in v4.5xx

That is little tougher, BlackBerry Sync supports Yahoo webmail, but that may not help if you are using a different provider.

If you webmail service also supports POP3, you can use Outlook or the free Outlook Express to get access to your contacts. From there, it is simple to sync them to your device.
    This is exactly what I was looking for on the upside of it. Grazie! Do you know anything about it's downside? Also, thanks for the tip on synching webmail contacts. I accidentally replied to your comment on Jayden's post (I'm brain dead today!). I'll get started on transferring everything through Outlook and just get it over with.
    10-12-08 01:20 PM
    how long have you had your blackberry? if its still new dont update the os. you need to get comfortable with it before you go and do that, the risk of nuking it isnt worth it.
    I've read that from several other posters and I even think yourself on another thread from a newbie. How great is the threat of nuking it? Is it common place?
    10-12-08 01:22 PM
    It happens occasionally, but when it does, the consequences are dramatic. Particularly if you have selected the option to wipe the device first. That is an expert only technique to be used when you want to prevent the current setting from being carried forward. In the vast majority of cases, you do not want to do it that way.

The most common cause is an issue with the USB port connection. In most cases, the problem is with the computer itself.

The best test is to make a backup of your device first. If it will do that, you can be confidant the upgrade will go smoothly.

Downside to doing the upgrade is your Carrier customer support will not be able to support any update related questions.

There are a number of changes to the OS too, for example, I no longer have the General Options choice in Options. Perhaps they are now buried in other option categories, but I have not been able to find them, yet.
    10-12-08 02:17 PM
    It happens occasionally, but when it does, the consequences are dramatic. Particularly if you have selected the option to wipe the device first. That is an expert only technique to be used when you want to prevent the current setting from being carried forward. In the vast majority of cases, you do not want to do it that way.

The most common cause is an issue with the USB port connection. In most cases, the problem is with the computer itself.

The best test is to make a backup of your device first. If it will do that, you can be confidant the upgrade will go smoothly.

Downside to doing the upgrade is your Carrier customer support will not be able to support any update related questions.

There are a number of changes to the OS too, for example, I no longer have the General Options choice in Options. Perhaps they are now buried in other option categories, but I have not been able to find them, yet.
    Is that the only negative you've encountered thus far? I actually don't have that choice in the operating system version I have now.
    10-12-08 08:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD