I'm planning on buying my first Blackberry shortly (the Bold) and am a little confused about how data usage is monitored.

I will be getting it from Vodafone UK where the BIS is limited to 6mb/month but then it also includes a data plan of 500mb/month. I've read that any kind of data usage will go through the BIS, but can't see how this can be the case due to the miniscule amount of bandwidth that can be used each month.

Basically, I'd like to know what type of usage goes through the BIS and what type uses up that additional 500mb limit?

Thanks for any help.
    11-30-08 05:29 PM
    The 500mb from Vodafone covers everything you do with the BB.

The 6mb is basically the old plan as at one time 6mb was all vodafone users got for �15!!!!! thankfully Vodafone saw the light and brought in the 500mb allowance

Basically BIS is email, BBM, and the blackberry browse etc r . The 500mb is vodafone live (wap) but the 500mb covers ALL your use.

500mb is plenty unless you plan to stream audio/ video a lot or tether.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-08 05:39 PM
    Wow! I never knew vodaphone users got pwned so badly with caps of only 6mb.
    Verizons is unlimited until you start tethering the phone then its limited to 5gb.

How you guys survive on 500 a month is astonishing.

11-30-08 05:43 PM
    Ah, thanks a lot Hazysky. That eases my mind about moving into the Blackberry world.

Now I've just got to find out how much it'll cost me to end my current contract with 3 then the Bold will be mine.
    11-30-08 06:22 PM
    I am pretty new to the bb scene what does tether mean? I have verizon and I'd like to know
    12-01-08 04:20 AM
    Tethering is connecting your pc to the internet using your Blackberry as a modem.

12-01-08 05:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD