i am a future crackberry user (abuser?) and i need help! i previously posted on here with this problem, but need a new set of advice for it. i am an eighteen year old college-bound girl (in the fall) whose parents have agreed to get her a blackberry. while i am elated, i have no idea which to get.

with some research, i have come down to the curve and the 8820.

the big difference i notice between the two (besides the curve having a camera) is that the 8820 has wifi. seeing as the college campus i end up on will probably be wireless, do you think it is worth the extra $200 for this? will it really save me money in the long run (not having to use up the internet minutes on my plan)? or am i completely misguided as to how this all works?

any suggestions you have would be great. are there any key differences that i am missing here?

also, this may sound dumb to seasoned users, but do blackberries play mp3s? if so, how many songs can they hold? how easy to use is this feature?

update: okay, i have a few of my questions answered. now, here is the real question. my options are to
    a) go for the curve and get unlimited data.
    b) go for the 8820 and not get unlimited data because of the wifi capabilities, seeing as wherever i am will have wifi.

i think i am leaning towards the first, but what does everyone else think?

(cross posted to a few other boards)
    Last edited by five4three2fun; 03-21-08 at 05:45 PM. Reason: updated info!
    03-21-08 05:27 PM
    i am a future crackberry user (abuser?) and i need help! i previously posted on here with this problem, but need a new set of advice for it. i am an eighteen year old college-bound girl (in the fall) whose parents have agreed to get her a blackberry. while i am elated, i have no idea which to get.

the big difference i notice between the two (besides the curve having a camera) is that the 8820 has wifi. seeing as the college campus i end up on will probably be wireless, do you think it is worth the extra $200 for this? will it really save me money in the long run (not having to use up the internet minutes on my plan)? or am i completely misguided as to how this all works?

any suggestions you have would be great. are there any key differences that i am missing here?

also, this may sound dumb to seasoned users, but do blackberries play mp3s? if so, how many songs can they hold? how easy to use is this feature?

update: okay, i have a few of my questions answered. now, here is the real question. my options are to
    a) go for the curve and get unlimited data.
    b) go for the 8820 and not get unlimited data because of the wifi capabilities, seeing as wherever i am will have wifi.

i think i am leaning towards the first, but what does everyone else think?

Last edited by five4three2fun; 03-21-08 at 05:45 PM. Reason: updated info!
    03-21-08 05:28 PM
    MP3's - yes, you can load a bunch of them on a Memory card.
    Data - If you get an unlimited plan, ($30/mo) then your bill will always be the same. wifi is nice to have, but so is a camera to some. Hope this helped ya.
    03-21-08 05:33 PM
    well, the camera is not that important to me. so, with the unlimited plan the wifi doesn't matter?
    03-21-08 05:35 PM
    Welcome to CB!

I'm not a veteran by any means, but ill post anyway

I have the 8830 which I believe is just the 8820 with gps instead of wifi. It can take up to a 4gb microsd card which will hold about 1000 songs. I'm quite happy with mine. How is it 200 more if the folks are getting it for ya?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-08 05:38 PM
    well, of course i want to look out for my parents' wallets. i want to be helpful! i'm trying to figure out if i should a) get the curve and spring for the unlimited data plan, or b) get the 8820 so i could use wireless and not necessarily worry about unlimited data. or something. i'm still learning how all of this works!
    03-21-08 05:41 PM

Personally I find that wifi still has some bugs to be worked out before it works flawlessly. Not to say that it isn't nice to have, but I think everyone has has a wifi enabled BB has run into a problem using it at one point. And to add to it, I still like having a data plan for when I am not near a wifi access point. This is solely my opinion though. There are some people that feel wifi is all they ever need and want.

If you plan on using a data plan, it has to be a BB data plan. You can't carry a data plan from a non-blackberry device to a blackberry device. The data plans are specific to a blackberry device.

As for the mp3s. You can play them, but you will need to get a microSD card to store them on. The size of the card you get may depend on the OS the phone is running. It is safe to say you can at least utilize a 4gb microSD card. On some phones, which run the newest OS, 4.3, you can go as large as 8gb.
    03-21-08 05:50 PM
    I'd go for option A

"How many songs can they hold" depend on how big the capacity is of your micro SD card and how well the mp3s are compressed. A 2gb card can store about 500 songs (now again depending on how the mp3s are compressed).

As far as getting the data plan or just sticking to wifi I say if your parents are ok with getting you a data plan, then get it because some apps wont work with just wifi like Yahoo Msgr, Opera Mini, Viigo, etc.
    03-21-08 06:00 PM
    I would say get the curve and the unlimited data plan. You won't always be able to get wifi, while with the data, you will always have internet access.
    03-21-08 06:18 PM
    Stephen - the 8820 has both GPS and WiFi.

The 8320 (Curve) has WiFi. No GPS.

03-21-08 06:46 PM
    hello there 5432fun

I am a recent convert to the BB Curve 8310 and live in the UK.

My decision to chose the 8310 was based on the fact that i want my phone to work as an mp3 player also.

The curve media player is not as brilliantly simple as the nokia n73 media player i had but certainly is useable. Iv'e found it doesn't organise the albums by artist the way i want in the media player but by selecting the media player then going to the menu button i can explore the media card and play ther album / artist of my choice via that - this methods allows me to play the whole album or shuffle. I've not bothered with a playlist yet as to be fair i don't do that anyway and thus haven't looked to sort it out.
    I use the DM media player [roxio] option to add music and have found that the option to maximise the content for the phone reduces the file size sufficiently but again not as brilliantly as the nokia media converter did.

i have used a 1/4 of my media card on 6 albums [approx 60 tracks] whereas the nokia converter meant i have 600 songs on half the card.
    I an not an expert on this so reducing the bit rate to 64 from 128 [in the options section of the roxio converter] would improve that performance.
    If i did this it may well lead me to get 120 tracks [10 albums] on a 1/4 of the media card, but until i try then i can't confirm that. However that would be a max of 240 on half the card compared to the 600 i did have.

but 24 albums on a media card is pretty good.

As for the wifi / data plan choice have you consideed that whilst at uni [english for college] you may well have access to the internet via the uni's IT department and their IT library therefore you may not really need the wifi as much as you thought and could work with a data plan

I choose an unlimited data plan because subject to fair useage i can do what i want and not be limited by having to be near starbucks etc..

good luck
    03-21-08 06:47 PM
    well, i already have a laptop (macbook), so i'll have internet no matter what (not just limited to my bb). just trying to save some money and cut corners where possible! college is expensive enough as it is! haha.

that's good info about the curve. thanks for that. the reason i asked is because my ipod has been busted for about a year, and i'm trying to avoid having to buy a new one (i've already sent it back twice to be fixed, and no luck).
    03-21-08 06:51 PM
    Stephen - the 8820 has both GPS and WiFi.

The 8320 (Curve) has WiFi. No GPS.

She is with AT&T, according to her info. Therefore it would be the 8820 pr the 8310. The curve is a nice and small and easy to type on and I have bigger hands. The 8820 has WiFi and GPS, but no camera and as you stated, that's not a worry. The 8820 is a bit on the bigger side and unsure if that would matter to you. The best thing to do is to go into a store and test it out.

You now also have the option of getting an 8120 (pearl w/ WiFi) for AT&T. This is the smallest, has WiFi, but has a smaller screen.

With either of the 3, you can't go wrong. I don't use the camera, but I personally like the Curve. You also stated you are looking out for you parents pockets and the Curve is less in cost than both the 8120 & 8820.

Data - Will be needed when you aren't near WiFi. For me, I am rarely near a WiFi location that is free, unless at home or work, in which I have highspeed internet in both places. If you travel to Starbucks a lot, you'll have free WiFi from AT&T.

There decision is yours... Congrats on college this fall.

Welcome 2 What's soon 2 Be Your New Home! Where Crack ain't Whack!
    03-21-08 07:48 PM
    Curve 8320 has wiFi

03-21-08 08:10 PM
    Sorry, I was on the WAP. Didn't see the AT&T thing.
    03-22-08 05:09 AM
    Go with the curve
    03-22-08 05:13 AM
    hey & welcome... and whatever you decide on... it'll be a good choice!
    03-22-08 04:12 PM
    well, i already have a laptop (macbook), so i'll have internet no matter what (not just limited to my bb). just trying to save some money and cut corners where possible! college is expensive enough as it is! haha.

that's good info about the curve. thanks for that. the reason i asked is because my ipod has been busted for about a year, and i'm trying to avoid having to buy a new one (i've already sent it back twice to be fixed, and no luck).
    I gave this some thought [for my own benefit] this am and have just given myself a nice easter treat.

As previously mentioned i had 527 songs and 30 images on my memory card in my nokia n73.

This afternoon -during a late night session recovery - i copied all of the music directly from my nokia memory card onto the BB memory card and all the images.

they are stored in M4A format as done by the nokia media manager and i now have all 527songs and the images on my BB.

They play just as well in the BB media player and thus i am a very happy man now cos i've got my music back and also don't have to faff around taking albums on and off the BB cos the card is still only 1/2 used.

my next trick is how to work out where the nokia media manager stores the music on my hard drive on my pc so i can just add more using that and then copy them to the memory card.

Happy little easter bunny here.
    03-23-08 02:35 PM
    I found the files on my hard drive and can just drag and drop onto the memory card when my BB is attached to the pc.

All is great again.
    I added some more songs and now have about 550 songs and only 48% of my media card used.

I would recommend this method to anyone.

Nokia pc suite which is free from t'internet is where you find the Nokia Music Manager.
    03-23-08 04:13 PM
    welcome to cb either one would be a good choice but i would lean towards the curve because of having the unlimited data
    03-23-08 04:18 PM
    I think the Curve is more college friendly...meaning it's everything you need in one device and it's small yet has the full querty keyboard that's a plus for us major texter's.this is only my opinion i tried both and the curve was more comfortable for me and my wallet. Also welcome to the crackberry family
    Last edited by TexasTrainer254; 03-23-08 at 08:53 PM.
    03-23-08 08:50 PM
    Whatever your choice in phones, I highly suggest getting the unlimited data plan for 30.00/month. Once you get the berry, get a media card 1, 2, 4, 6, or 8 gig. Check the CrackBerry store. Good Luck

03-23-08 09:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD