I've had my Pearl 8110 for about a month and a half and I love it but recently it slowed down tremendously and the hourglass is ALWAYS on the screen...there has been no water damage and I deleted my messages because I thought they might've been taken up too much space. None of that worked! Also my emails and facebook notifications stoped coming to my phone, idk what's wrong with it. I'm not opposed to resetting the phone to factory settings BUT 1. I don't know how to do that and 2. I don't want to lose my contacts. If there is a way I can get my phone to work the way that it was a week ago w/o losing my contacts PLEASEEEEEE someone let me know. I'm in desparate need of help!

Thanks
    09-29-08 09:07 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

The hour glass indicates the Pearl is busy doing something. From your discription, I would guess it is recovering memory, but not having a lot of success.

You should be able to regain control by pulling the battery and replacing it. That will clear out some of the memory, enough to let you proceed.

Check Options / Status to view your memory allocation.

Most likely, you will need to delete the preinstalled samples and recycle the memory, we all have.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    09-29-08 09:38 AM
    The battery pull previously mentioned is the most common way to fix the memory issue (among other things). There are other alternatives to keep your memory at a satisfactory level. Many people have opinions on the amount of memory that should be left open for BB operations. Some say 6MB and others say 12MB.
    Store files such as pictures and MP3’s on a Micro SD card.
    Clear the Event Log often. Hold the ALT key and type in lglg while on the home screen, then press the menu button, Clear Log, Delete.
    Remove the Sample Video file (the largest file on the internal memory)

You can also install 3rd party applications that “help” with the BB memory leaks. Memory Viewer & MemoryUp are a couple of programs on the market.

Also, the link in Reed's reply is the best thread on cleaning up the BB memory.
    09-29-08 10:17 AM
    My fiance works with a girl that has a curve. When it freezes she beats it. Yesterday I told her that a battery pull works much better.
    09-29-08 10:38 AM
    battery pull is your friend.

and remember the magic number is 12Mb free space. lots of tutorials in the forum that will teach you how to do that.
    09-29-08 12:34 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry.
    09-29-08 12:36 PM
    Another thing you can do with the event log: open the log (alt-lglg)> press menu key> select options> put a check in each box> this will stop it from collecting data and slowing your device down.

Welcome and here's some good reading for you!
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/blac...e-series-4716/
    09-29-08 01:28 PM
    good info on the Event Log Clear, i dont see the Internal Sample Video or Pix anymore, is that because i have the memory card in? or maybe since i upped the OS to 4.5?
    10-01-08 06:07 PM
    So, welcome to CB. And, I hope that BB starts working properly again.
    10-01-08 06:23 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry...

How many apps do you have installed? Are your pictures/media installed on a memory card?
    10-01-08 07:20 PM
    good info on the Event Log Clear, i dont see the Internal Sample Video or Pix anymore, is that because i have the memory card in? or maybe since i upped the OS to 4.5?
    That is your answer, the later v4.5xx OS have removed the preloaded samples. That is a big help.
    10-01-08 09:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD