When an application says that it is OTA, like weathereye. What exactly does that mean. It connects over the network for an update or something? And why is this important, does it use minutes? If it uses data thats fine because I have unlimited. Thanks!!
    09-06-08 02:08 AM
    OTA (over the air) would normally refer to how you could install the application or theme etc to your BB. You receive a link and the download begins without you needing to be connected to your PC. The OTA process will be using data not minutes.

EDIT: I forgot, welcome to CB
    Last edited by gritmaster; 09-06-08 at 02:55 AM.
    09-06-08 02:52 AM
    Weather eye is a push application, it will update the weather information by obtaining data from the internet. You can set how often you would like it to do this in the settings option, every 1 hour or 2 hours for example.

It uses data not minutes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-08 02:58 AM
    OK, i think that I understand this. Since these applications use push data and i have the t-mobile unlimited plan, I should not be charged anything extra for these applications right?

09-06-08 12:01 PM
    Yes that is correct, if you have unlimited data. The only cost would be if you had to purchase the application in the first place.
    09-06-08 12:11 PM
    OTA makes it easier to download stuff instead of having to load it from a computer.

09-06-08 12:17 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry

OTA (Over the Air) is one of the options you can use to install apps and themes to your device It uses a .jad file and automatically installs using your Data Plan, no PC needed.

Some people prefer this method and others prefer using the .cod and .alx files with DesktopManager and loading using AppLoader
    09-06-08 12:23 PM
    When an application says that it is OTA, like weathereye. What exactly does that mean. It connects over the network for an update or something? And why is this important, does it use minutes? If it uses data thats fine because I have unlimited. Thanks!!

Welcome to CB. Enjoy your bb
    09-06-08 12:29 PM
    That's a good question - us newbies have to stick together! I've had my 1st BB in several years for a week and have found the OTA installs to be quite easy. You will see some posts that indicate there are problems (i.e. you install a new OS or some such action) because they aren't backed up automatically on your pc. There is a method to back up 3rd party programs, tho, so all is not lost. So, search around and see what else you can find, and enjoy your new addiction.
    09-06-08 02:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD