Hi. I've had my Blackberry now for a little more that a week now and a couple days ago I noticed something strange started happening. Every now and again it will vibrate ( I always have it set to vibrate 'cuz I am either at work or in church so I just leave it on that setting so I don't forget to change it) but there is no incoming call or mail. And the red indicator light keeps flashing. When this happens I check everything including voice mail and nothing. It does let me know when calls and messages do come through, but it still happens even when there is nothing, and then I have to shut it down to make the red light go away.

Any thoughts or do I have a defective unit? Thanks in advance for any help anyone may have.
    08-27-08 12:13 PM
    You might want to call Sprint and get a replacement - that sounds weird to me.
    08-27-08 12:26 PM
    If you haven't optimized your memory, it's possible you are running low. Check your Options / Status / File Free. If your number is less than 12 000 000 bytes, that's too low for reliable operation. One consequence of low memory is the device will delete emails as soon as they arrive, sometimes before you even see them. That could be what you're experiencing. When you pull the battery to make the red light go away, you free up some memory, which alleviates the problem temporarily. The solution, if the problem is low memory, is to perform the Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig.
    08-27-08 12:28 PM
    Wait did you mean 120,000 or 120,000,000? cause i only have 450,474 and mine works fine.
    08-27-08 12:32 PM
    You might want to call Sprint and get a replacement - that sounds weird to me.
    I like those shades Michelle...
    08-27-08 12:32 PM
    I like those shades Michelle...
    Thanks SD!!
    08-27-08 12:35 PM
    Wait did you mean 120,000 or 120,000,000? cause i only have 450,474 and mine works fine.
    I meant 12 000 000 bytes. If your Options / Status / File Free value is 450 474 bytes, then you can expect to lose your call logs and sms messages at any time and without any warning from your device.
    08-27-08 12:39 PM
    You have less than 1mb of memory?
    08-27-08 12:39 PM
    If you haven't optimized your memory, it's possible you are running low. Check your Options / Status / File Free. If your number is less than 12 000 000 bytes, that's too low for reliable operation. One consequence of low memory is the device will delete emails as soon as they arrive, sometimes before you even see them. That could be what you're experiencing. When you pull the battery to make the red light go away, you free up some memory, which alleviates the problem temporarily. The solution, if the problem is low memory, is to perform the Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig.
    Thanks so much for the help and sorry for the late reply. I followed the steps outlined and found that I actually do have enough memory. The problem however has slowed down quite a bit. I stopped shutting it down when it happens and just wait it out. Usually within the hour the red light stops flashing. I was wondering if perhaps it was alerting me to mail going into my junk mail folder on Gmail, but that is not the case either.
    But anyway, it's resolving on it's own I think.

Thanks to everyone who gave me insight.
    09-02-08 11:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD