Hey gang...

I'm waiting for my new Blackberry Storm to be delivered early next week. This will be my *first* Blackberry. Upgrading from a Palm Treo...may it RIP. My question is when I set up by BB desktop software on my laptop will it be able to recognize by contact list from my Palm Desktop software?

I've looked for the answer in the FAQs, lecture series, and under a few other newbie threads but couldn't find it. Sorry if this has been answered before.

Look forward to interacting with you all and getting the most out of my BB.

Maelstrom
    11-22-08 09:39 AM
    Welcome to CB!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-08 10:49 AM
    I asked the same question (sort of) and as soon as I get an answer, I'll point you to it. I'm migrating from a Treo 755P, but have not been able to get the BB Device Wizard to see it yet.
    11-22-08 12:58 PM
    11-22-08 01:17 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

BlackBerry Desktop Manager includes an application for just that purpose. It is safe to assume a lot of folks are migrating in this direction.

11-22-08 04:49 PM
    Hey Maelstrom - thanks for the laugh!!! I'm on these forums a LOT and rarely do I get a chuckle, but this was funny!

-->Upgrading from a Palm Treo...may it RIP.

Welcome to the CB family! Glad to have someone on the forums that can still make me laugh!
    11-23-08 10:36 AM
    Thanks for the warm welcome! And thanks for the answer, Reed. Got my tracking number from Verizon today. Storm's coming Tuesday by 3 pm! Woo-hoo!
    11-24-08 12:17 AM
    Yay! Congrats and welcome to the addiction.
    11-24-08 12:51 AM
    Welcome Maelstrom!

I have also asked this question. I am migrating from a Palm T|X.

The short answer is there is no acceptable desktop software that is as good as the Palm Desktop. I think this is a serious shortcoming in BlackBerry as a consumer item. Since it was made for corporate environments, it works with Microsoft Outlook.

And if you're anything like me, you want to stay far away from Outlook. I use Mozilla's browser and email client.

What I did was set up Outlook without email, so it can manage my tasks, calendar, and address book, and that's how I solved it.

But beware! I just found out that Outlook 2000 is not supported in BB software version 4.3 or higher! It simply doesn't show up when you try to configure synchronization.

In theory you can synch to Yahoo Calendar, etc. but I didn't feel like migrating over. I wanted to keep all my contacts local to my computer.

I hope this helps you. There is another thread in this area where somebody posted a series of links that had to do with Palm but I haven't reviewed all of them to see if they are helpful.

Again, welcome!
    11-24-08 01:00 AM
    sd card could't read anyone help pls..for bold 9000
    11-24-08 01:04 AM
    Hi Jeet! You're posting in a thread about migrating from Palm Desktop software. Can you start a new thread so your question can be answered there? Then this thread can stay on topic.

You need to go to the Crackberry Newbies thread section and then click on New Thread. If you click my link it should do that for you.

Also you can use the Advanced Forum Search to find if other people have already answered your question in the Forums.
    11-24-08 02:57 AM
    I too have been a Palm user for over 10 years (currently 700p). I am intrigued by the Storm (I use Verizon) but I am concerned about my ability to transfer all of my contact and calendar info over. I have NEVER used Outlook but only the Palm desktop software. I will be watching these posts with great interest. Thanks to all!
    11-27-08 10:44 PM
    I can suggest doing a Key Word search with the word "Palm", some search tips in my text below. To save you that step... here's a bunch

Here's a couple hits I got out of many:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/tra...40/#post559427

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/pal...nversion-1533/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f34/tra...info-bb-14280/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/old...-i-have-84205/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f34/pal...hing-bb-89597/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f34/can...-8130-a-95331/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/pal...ry-sync-14661/

Anyways... Welcome to Crackberry!

Take advantage of the very helpful BB 101. BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series | CrackBerry.com . Also the powerfull search engine to dig through this bottomless pit of Crackberry knowledge for stuff already answered. Post on those existing threads or post a new one if need be. Many folks here happy to help. Some searching tips... Go To: Search Forums / Advanced Search / Key word search / search by title / "pick a key word" that comes to mind and you might stumble upon some answers and/or clues. Or search by Post content...

Launch your addiction into the next dimension. Go to wap.crackberry.com (from your phone) and install your CB Launcher.

No worries Intervention is not in our vocabulary here, enjoy your addiction to the fullest.
    11-28-08 01:23 AM
    Hey PvT -- the keyword search idea is a good one, but the findings are discouraging. Many of the solutions touted don't work for many users who follow up. I have been migrating from the Palm T|X and have been unable to move directly to either Outlook or the BB. I also had a lot of trouble with Outlook because RIM disabled Outlook 2000 and didn't even put anything in the software asking me to upgrade to 2003 or 2007. If you try to synch with Outlook 2000 it just doesn't recognize it at all.

I really wish RIM would do a better job with the migration from Palm, and I also wish they didn't rely so heavily on Outlook. A lot of us try to avoid commonly used Microsoft products because of serious virus and hijacking issues.
    11-29-08 05:41 PM
    welcome to crack
    11-29-08 06:29 PM
    Hello & welcome to the addiction!!!
    11-29-08 06:47 PM
    ....I really wish RIM would do a better job with the migration from Palm, and I also wish they didn't rely so heavily on Outlook. A lot of us try to avoid commonly used Microsoft products because of serious virus and hijacking issues.
    You are right about all that, for sure. I do use Outlook and yes, my data is exposed to the great world of Microsoft vulnerability.

I exported my Palm data to excel and cleaned up years of stuff ending up in incorrect fields, brought it into outlook and sync from there. I guess, one could go from Palm to excel (password protect the excel document) and then export the data to a generic format (once again vulnerable) and then to Desktop manager... but from that point forward what do you sync it up with... and do you have to use your old 486 PC in the basement that's not connected to the internet to keep it all reasonable safe...

I still keep most of my password information on an old Palm pilot IIIxe... LOL

I think I'm going to print it out and put it in a safe

Yes, in short, a better Palm support would have been better as I've seen some deadending chatter on the subject as well.
    11-29-08 06:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD