Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Newbie with a question before I buy a BB

Don't flame me - I did not find the answer elsewhere.
    I am ready to buy my first smartphone and having done my research, want to buy a new, unlocked BB Z10. I see Blackberry sells them directly on their website for $299. Amazon sells new unlocked ones for less. My question is if I buy from Amazon, would I get the manufacturer warranty? I want to do my little part to help the company but want to also insure I buy a new unit covered by warranty. Any advice or insights?
    I am neutral on the BB vs Apple, Android arguements but think BB makes quality gear. It is a bit of a risk to buy one with some carriers dropping working with BB such ast MetroPCS, but I think it is still worth it.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,793 Global Posts

Pretty sure the ones on Amazon don't come with warranty. And they may also not be fully compatible with US carriers' networks (i.e. international variants.)
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Passport, Classic
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

NULL
    Last edited by soundscan9800; 09-28-2014 at 09:03 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

If you buy from shopBlackBerry, you know for sure you will get the STL100-3 version.
    Buying from Amazon is going to take a little more research to know which version that vendor is selling.
    What made you decide to go with BB for the very first smartphone?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I have had a playbook for a couple years and like it. All the research I have done says BB are built solid with no nonsense. I refuse to become assimiliated into the Android/google ecosphere. Really like an underdog and am hoping BB company stays around so we can all have alternative choices than the big two.
    Thanked by:
    mvpcrossxover (04-03-2014) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,295 Global Posts

buy direct from BlackBerry. You will have less headaches if anything *knock on wood* anything goes wrong. Dealing with a 3rd party might not be as smooth.
    I LOVE MY 8310 9700 9900 Z10 Z30 Passport!
    CrackBerry User

I understand what you mean about the Android thing. My Z10 died, and I was handed a Galaxy S3 as a loaner. Without forcing certain apps to close, I can't find a logical way to do it.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30!
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    2BDA899C

Quote Originally Posted by axiometric View Post
    Don't flame me - I did not find the answer elsewhere.
    I am ready to buy my first smartphone and having done my research, want to buy a new, unlocked BB Z10. I see Blackberry sells them directly on their website for $299. Amazon sells new unlocked ones for less. My question is if I buy from Amazon, would I get the manufacturer warranty? I want to do my little part to help the company but want to also insure I buy a new unit covered by warranty. Any advice or insights?
    I am neutral on the BB vs Apple, Android arguements but think BB makes quality gear. It is a bit of a risk to buy one with some carriers dropping working with BB such ast MetroPCS, but I think it is still worth it.
    Some quick notes; Like the other posters I would strongly recommend that you buy direct from BlackBerry. I've heard of people buying from Amazon or EBay and getting an "STL100-1" (You don't want an STL100-1, you want at least a -3 for North America).

About that thing about "dropping support" for BlackBerry: There really isn't any such thing for BlackBerry10. Your new phone will happily work even if all the mobile carriers died themselves - all you need is Wi-Fi and you're happy (and use BBM or SKYPE for voice calls over Wi-Fi). Older legacy devices did require a special environment called "BIS" to work in but all the new devices work independently of the Carriers.

I like BlackBerry for the same reasons you point out. Apple is a cult and Google uses Android to spy on you (just in order to "help" you of course).

The support from BlackBerry has been great. Get yourself a nice case for your phone, too.

HEY - Finally - There is a Sale on $100 off for American Customers on BlackBerry.com because of that T-Mobile thing. Check it out!
    Just use "BLACKBERRY1" in the Coupon Code
    CrackBerry User

I bought my Z10 direct from Blackberry for $199 and I'm pretty sure I got a 14-day return policy and short warranty.

I don't know. Do what I did and call ShopBlackberry. The average agents don't appear to be very knowledgeable but the supervisors are pretty ace.

I'm z10ing. Yes, I invented a verb.
    CrackBerry User

Wow that discount actually works, 199 for a brand new z10 and 299 for a brand new Q10, great deals! Free shipping too!

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

BlackBerry have very poor support for warranty. They will give you a lot of head ache if you got problem with your device so if you decide to buy any BlackBerry make sure you buy it from BlackBerry website. Once again it is very poor support

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts

Give some examples of your experiences to help the OP. Not had any reason to warranty my BB products, so would be interested in your problems. When my PSU died, I had to send it to Corsair for replacement. I paid the postage to return the unit, and they sent a replacement with 7 year warranty.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Just bought an unlocked Z10 from shopblackberry using the BLACKBERRY1 Code and it worked.

I agree with other posters about getting it directly.

If you, OP, haven't bought it yet then I suggest you use the code and get $100 off the price of a Z10.

What happens in Vegas...