Hi all. Trying to install the Desktop Manager on my laptop, and getting an odd issue that I've never had before. No matter which version of the software I try to install, I keep getting this annoying pop-up and it won't let me continue with the install. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

By the way, posted this in the newbie section so I don't get flamed for posting in the wrong section since I couldn't find a forum dedicated to Desktop Manager.
    12-30-08 08:35 PM
    i believe you have the wrong version for me i got the 4.7 version
    12-30-08 08:46 PM
    I'm a relative BB newbie, but I've worked in computers for over 20 years and that error message has to do with the Windows Installer. That version of the installer is for Windows XP SP2 or SP3. Do you have SP2 or SP3 loaded on your computer? I trust you also have administrative rights to the directory it's installing to? Also, check your error logs and find out the error message number, as that might help.

Don't know your level of computer expertise, so if you have questions about how to check either of these things, let me know.
    Last edited by BeckyTech; 12-30-08 at 09:15 PM.
    12-30-08 09:12 PM
    Welcome to the Crack. Becky Tech seems to have nailed, hope that helps you out
    12-30-08 09:20 PM
    Very technologically inclined, but this one simply had me stumped. I figured this was a Windows issue, but wanted to double check.

I am running XP SP3, and definitely have admin privileges. After checking the event log after trying to install the Desktop Manager software, I found errors all similar to this:

The description for Event ID ( 1033 ) in Source ( MsiInstaller ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: BlackBerry v4.2.2 for the 8320 Series Wireless Handheld, 4.2.2.184 (Platform 2.5.0.40), 1033, 0, (NULL), , .

p.s. thanks for the warm welcomes.
    12-30-08 09:21 PM
    i believe you have the wrong version for me i got the 4.7 version
    Are you sure about that? It seems the latest version is 4.5....
    12-30-08 09:32 PM
    Well, I found this KB article that has quite a few suggestions for Windows Installer problems:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175

Without sitting down at your computer (and charging you our hourly rates ) I can't be more specific.

Also, I believe you and Parana6 are speaking crosswise about version numbers. 4.5 is the latest Windows Installer version and 4.7 is the latest Desktop Manager version.
    12-30-08 09:37 PM
    I gave up and just dug up my old laptop. Thanks anyways, all.
    12-30-08 11:59 PM
    I hope to you get ya issue fixed
    12-31-08 01:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD