Hi,

Sorry, I could not find this answered anywhere in these forums, so I am hoping someone will provide examples for me.

My carrier offers $30 unlimited email and internet (not data).

What exactly does this give me? What would constitute data, therefore not being included in the unlimited plan? Are there specific examples so I can understand if this is right for me?

Basically, I will be using the blackberry for the following:

1. Emails from multiple email accounts.
    2. Surf the web (google.com, tsn.ca, etc)
    3. Text messages on occasion.

So what exactly would data be?

Thanks in advance.
    11-19-08 10:35 PM
    I believe data would be your internet but you may want to call your provider to clarify this.
    11-19-08 10:38 PM
    That's why I was confused. I just assumed data was anything...email, web, etc. But he said unlimited email and internet (not data). So I am assuming data is something else?

I guess I don't know all the "cool" things you can do with a blackberry.
    11-19-08 10:40 PM
    mcleanap, take it from me... be sure to ask your PROVIDER the question about "exactly what does DATA mean?". I was nailed by extremely high fees for not understanding. I had over-charges of a LOT (I won't scare you with the details).

But, it's much better to get the information from the people that will be charging you!

Absolutely no disrespect is meant to anyone in these forums, as there are really bright people here - it's just that the charges you'll be responsible for are directly coming from your provider!

Good luck!
    11-19-08 11:09 PM
    I have a similar concern with sprint. I have the everything data plan but I wonder if I can use yahoo go or if I will incur charges. Guess I'll ask next time I am at the sprint store.

When in doubt always ask your carrier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-08 11:26 PM
    For Sprint members:

Unlimited data is NOT unlimited. It is capped at 5gb per month, afterwhich your service is subject to being interrupted.

Sprint's fine print. What they don't show you when you buy the phone and sign up in the store:

Terms & Conditions

Many carriers apparently cap usage at 5gb per month. You'll want to read your carriers fine print to see what they define as "unlimited". Caveat Emptor.
    11-19-08 11:34 PM
    To clarify for you - with the everything sata plan that you have under Sprint, you can use "Yahoo Go" and any other 3rd party application that uses data. ANY data use is free under this plan. You do however have a 5gb cap, but will not reach this cap in a month unless you are tethering (using your phone as a modem for your computer) Tethering costs an extra $15 a month under Sprint and is optional. You must sign up for tethering, it is not currently included with any plan. So to answer your question, you can use Yahoo Go, and any other application that uses your data connection, for free.

I have a similar concern with sprint. I have the everything data plan but I wonder if I can use yahoo go or if I will incur charges. Guess I'll ask next time I am at the sprint store.

When in doubt always ask your carrier.

11-20-08 12:02 AM
    To clarify for you - with the everything sata plan that you have under Sprint, you can use "Yahoo Go" and any other 3rd party application that uses data. ANY data use is free under this plan. You do however have a 5gb cap, but will not reach this cap in a month unless you are tethering (using your phone as a modem for your computer) Tethering costs an extra $15 a month under Sprint and is optional. You must sign up for tethering, it is not currently included with any plan. So to answer your question, you can use Yahoo Go, and any other application that uses your data connection, for free.

Thank you, I'll never be tethering, just browsing the web, and using stuff like Yahoo Go. I don't think I'll reach 5gb a month there. Thanks again!
    11-20-08 04:27 AM
    Keep in mind, too, that IM apps (like yahoo) come out of your text instead of your data with some providers. If you're a power IMer, this can seriously cause some overages if you dont have an unlimited text plan.
    11-21-08 10:56 AM
    I'm sure it has been covered a billion times but someone please go over it with me one more time.

The 2 options I have are:

1) Email and Web for Blackberry

and

2) Blackberry Solution Unlimited Data Usage

Am I correct in stating that Option 1 is the BIS and Option 2 is the BES.

And the only difference between the two plans is that the BIS is more in line with consumer usage (Gmail, Yahoo Mail accounts) and the BES is more in line with corporate usage (Outlook, Novell accounts)

The data usage for both plans is still capped at 5GB right?

Thanks for going over it with me.
    11-21-08 12:51 PM
    You got it.

As far as the data cap, that is dependand on your carrier. With Sprint, the "Simply Everything" plans are not capped, like most other carriers out there. So if you have a "Simply Everything" or one of the older "BlackBerry Data" plans for $30/$40 month, you don't have to worry about a cap. However, if you're tethering then you do fall victim to the 5gb cap per month. But again, this is only if you're using your phone as a modem.

Sprint was one of the last major cellcos out there to implement the data use caps, and IMHO they did the right think by having it apply only to phone as modem use.

Anywho, you'll have to check with your carrier, unless someone knows the individual providers bandwidth caps.

11-21-08 02:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD