Hello, I'm a new user to this community, a college student, IT Technician, and hope to push up to IT Admin upon graduation.

I'm doing my research now since my plan expires this March, and I'm hoping I can take advantage of Verizon's "New Every Two" offer they have to get a Blackberry... if not I'll probably still get one simply based on how useful they seem.

Web Browsing, Messenger, Music, Email through our Exchange Server and my personal boxes, and possibly Facebook (I've refrained from using it much since I'm moving around alot) are my reasons for looking into a Blackberry at this moment.

I've been looking at the 8830 WE from Verizon, and since Live Messenger is a must have for me, Jive (at the recommendations found on nearly every thread about a messenger) will be something I intend to use.

One Question: does Jive use my WiFi Connection, or my data plan through Verizon?

Also, if you have any suggestions (for different providers/Blackberrys/Apps) I'd welcome all.

Nice to meet you all!
    01-17-08 11:36 PM
    First -- Welcome. Good luck on your graduation.

it is JiveTalk. Just this week a WiFi-enabled version if JT is available for beta testing, which so far I understand to be working well.

If you get the 8830, it doesn't have WiFi, sorry.

Go with the carrier that has the best coverage where ever you live, work, and play (and study, in your case).
    01-17-08 11:42 PM
    Hrm, wonder how I missed that...

Blast! Verizon is really the only adequate provider in the area but the selection offered by them are not very broad.

*sigh*
    01-17-08 11:59 PM
    hello & welcome!
    01-18-08 01:40 AM
    if you're looking at verizon, i can tell you the pearl is fantastic. it has a good camera, so you could use it to post pics to your facebook. i like twitterberry, and i think you can post your twitter feed to your facebook - you just can't post pics to twitter.

don't be scared off by the suretype. i actually really like that feature, and i appreciate the smaller stature of the pearl - fits well into my pocket. no qwerty on the pearl.

verizon's service is good. unlimited data is $30/month. just keep in mind you'll love any berry you choose! good luck.
    01-18-08 08:07 AM
    Howdy Doody.
    01-18-08 02:07 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!
    01-18-08 03:10 PM
    Welcome!

I have the 8830 form Verizon and love it, although I have been thinking about getting the pearl mainly for the camera. I just can't bring myself to switch because I text a ton and don't think I could live without the qwerty keyboard.

Also, what exaclty in IT are you studying? I went to school for IT and worked in the field for about a year before switching over to engineering.
    01-20-08 09:07 PM
    Welcome!

I have the 8830 form Verizon and love it, although I have been thinking about getting the pearl mainly for the camera. I just can't bring myself to switch because I text a ton and don't think I could live without the qwerty keyboard.

Also, what exaclty in IT are you studying? I went to school for IT and worked in the field for about a year before switching over to engineering.
    Texting was my main concern too, which kept me from attempting a temporary switch to Nokia's n810 and seeing if skype would work well.

Currently I am majoring in MIS and work with the University's IT department. We manage lab builds and each semester we reimage the lab nodes, upgrade labs to newer hardware, and generally troubleshoot hardware/software problems that arrise throughout the semester.

I've begun hearing rumors about blackberry curve coming to verizon, and I hope to snag one if it is out by march.
    Last edited by Liquid Wolf; 01-21-08 at 07:05 PM.
    01-21-08 07:02 PM
    Texting was my main concern too, which kept me from attempting a temporary switch to Nokia's n810 and seeing if skype would work well.

Currently I am majoring in MIS and work with the University's IT department. We manage lab builds and each semester we reimage the lab nodes, upgrade labs to newer hardware, and generally troubleshoot hardware/software problems that arrise throughout the semester.

I've begun hearing rumors about blackberry curve coming to verizon, and I hope to snag one if it is out by march.
    I did that exact same thing when I was in school. I hope that the curve comes to Verizon soon too because I'd love to have it.
    01-22-08 05:48 PM
    welcome youngbuck
    03-16-08 05:58 AM
    Welcome to CB
    03-16-08 06:29 AM
    Hi and welcome.
    03-16-08 11:22 AM
    Welcome to CB!
    03-16-08 12:09 PM
    Welcome to CB!
    03-16-08 12:15 PM
    hello and welcome
    03-16-08 01:07 PM
    BB's are not included in the Every 2 Year Plan. When I want/need a new BB, I will have to pay full price or hope they have some special deal going on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-08 01:32 PM
    Welcome to CB!!!
    03-16-08 04:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD