So i finially caved in and bought a 8320 curve. I got it off ebay, so I'm still waiting for it. Any good advise as to what I should / shouldn't expect coming from the basic flip phone to the blackberry world?
    05-12-09 08:05 PM
    Best thing to do is to start reading the forums and check out the newbie section here. lots of great tips and how to's there. Just click on the green link in my signature
    05-12-09 08:12 PM
    Don't think you will escape the addiction these phones are capable of creating!

As LASTRAID stated the info in his sig is good stuff. Additionally you will probably want to ge and do some reading up here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/

Welcome!!

David
    05-12-09 08:15 PM
    Thanks, appreciate it. I've been downloading free ring tones already getting them ready for when I get mine in the mail I'll be ready to rock out.
    05-12-09 08:18 PM
    05-12-09 08:21 PM
    Ok so I got a question already. In my reading it said that while connected to wifi that making calls will not be counted towards minutes used. Is this a tmobile option only, or does that also apply to att? Also what is the difference between UMA and WIFI?
    05-12-09 09:02 PM
    Ok so I got a question already. In my reading it said that while connected to wifi that making calls will not be counted towards minutes used. Is this a tmobile option only, or does that also apply to att? Also what is the difference between UMA and WIFI?
    I know with T-Mobile, as long as you are paying for the Unlimited WiFi Calling add-on, all WiFi calls then, do not come from your plan mins. If you do NOT pay for this add-on, even when using WiFi, your min are deducted from your plan mins.

UMA is the protocal that the calls are being madewhile on Wifi.

What is UMA? snagged from What is UMA? - Definition

Definition of "UMA"

Unlicensed Mobile Access is a technology that allows a UMA capable mobile phone to seamlessly switch back and forth between mobile phone networks and local wireless networks. WiFi and Bluetooth are commonly used for the local wireless part of the system. Simply possessing a UMA capable phone does not mean that a subscriber can make use of UMA services since the system requires back-end support from the carrier. UMA is particularly useful in remote areas where mobile phone coverage is poor, as well as inside of buildings where the network signal might not be able to penetrate building walls. In the US, T-Mobile was the first carrier to start offering UMA services. UMA has been officially ratified by the 3GPP and has been renamed GAN, or Generic Access Network, though most often the technology is still referred to by the UMA name.
    Also known as: "GAN", "Generic Access Network", "Unlicensed Mobile Access"
    05-12-09 10:50 PM
    Welcome to cb

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-09 12:55 AM
    Welcome to CB and the addiction.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-09 02:31 AM
    great to have you with us!
    05-13-09 04:35 AM
    welcome to CB
    05-13-09 07:29 AM
    Welcome to CB.
    05-13-09 07:47 AM
    Thanks for all the advise and welcome messages. According to my tracking info, I should be in blackberry world sometime today.
    05-13-09 09:04 AM
    It takes a while to learn it all. It's going to be a big change.

One thing i just figured out is to use BOLT browser to view PC websites. It works great.

ALSO get you a big enough micro sd card. You have to have a micro sd card to record video. 8 gigs can be had for 20 bucks.

Also another thing that got me when I first got one is I kept to many apps running at the same time. That will cause your phone to slow down. Remember that hitting the red button like on your old flip phone will NOT make an app close. It will put it in the background. So if you hold ALT/BACK button by the trackball you'll see all the apps running.

So remember to either keep hitting the back button to exit an app you aren't going to be using at the time or to hit the blackberry button and hit close. If you just hit the red button like you are used to it will still be running. You get to much at once at it will slow down.

For example if you just got out of your picture viewer and options you don't need it running. You are done viewing pictures and done with your options so no need to keep it running in the background. Same thing with your camera or anything else.

I keep my myspace app running so it sends me the alert icon. But that's the only app I keep running all the time.

When I'm done with BOLT browser and viewing my pc sites I hit the blackberry button and close it.

Theres also thousands of free ringtones on this site. Probably everyone that you are looking for.

Don't download it on your computer and send it to your phone. You won't have to do that anymore. Just click "send to e-mail" And the email will come to your phone and download it.

Same with most apps. With blackberry you don't have to transfer them from the computer onto the blackberry.

Also go to options and turn your GPS on so you can use GPS with BB maps and other applications. It's free to use.
    05-13-09 09:20 AM
    Good to know curve, thanks.
    05-13-09 10:03 AM
    Welcome to the world of crackberry brother.
    06-03-09 08:22 AM
    Best thing to do is to start reading the forums and check out the newbie section here. lots of great tips and how to's there. Just click on the green link in my signature
    Thanks for your signature, I just learned something new from the "Dial Numbers Like 1800BESTBUY" link. That was driving me nuts for the longest time.
    06-03-09 09:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD