I just got my 8703e yesterday. It replaced my Moto Q that I hated. So far seems like a wonderful device - pretty intuitive, software solid, and e-mail is terrific and FAST!!!!!

Questions:
    1. Where to get good ringtones that are not aimed at (no insult intended but I'm 62 yrs old) 15 year old Pearl users? I tried Ringtone Megaplex at Handango and it was awful. I like classical, jazz, and 60s + 70s rock and R&B. I really don't want to spend time with mp3 ringtone converter software - just download and assign to callers.

2. Holsters: Is the OEM one supplied with the phone any good? Seems to be a bit trick to get the phone out. Also, can I use my Bluetooth to answer when the phone is in the holster or do I need to take it out. Any suggestions for a replacement?

3. Screen protector: I always used one in my Palm days. The BB display is gorgeous and I want to keep it that way. Any suggestions?

4. Any straightforward business oriented themes available? Don't like what comes with the BB.

5. How do I remove software that I don't like or need?

6. Any "must haves" for an old man using his BB.

I know that's a lot of questions but I sure do like this device. I've been using PDAs since the first mono Palms, and cell phones since the Motorola Brick and two other "smartphones" The BB is by far the best of them so far.

Thanks
    05-23-07 04:56 PM
    You can make your own ringtones if you're clever enough. there is software called ringtone ripper that is free. You can email the file (a 30 second clip) to your handset and it will let you load it from there as a ringtone.

You can use your bluetooth to answer if the phone is in the headset. Your headset should have an answer button. Simply change the phone settings so that answering and hanging up are not holster based (I believe the default setting is that returning the phone to the holster hangs up the call).

You can buy sheet screen protectors at staples, officemax, etc and cut to fit, or any number of online retailers sell precut ones based on your blackberry model.

I'm not sure about updating the themes on a CDMA handset, so I can't help you there.

a great piece of software to have is SimulSays. The free version records and stores your voicemail, which allows you to browse through them in a text interface and only listen to the one you want, with a feature available that transcribes the voicemails so you can READ them as text (that part is fee based.) Being able to flip through and see who left me a voicemail, what time, and listen to it without listening to my old or saved messages, and without using any airtime, is so so useful.
    05-23-07 06:38 PM
    I just got my 8703e yesterday. It replaced my Moto Q that I hated. So far seems like a wonderful device - pretty intuitive, software solid, and e-mail is terrific and FAST!!!!!

Questions:
    1. Where to get good ringtones that are not aimed at (no insult intended but I'm 62 yrs old) 15 year old Pearl users? I tried Ringtone Megaplex at Handango and it was awful. I like classical, jazz, and 60s + 70s rock and R&B. I really don't want to spend time with mp3 ringtone converter software - just download and assign to callers.

I never purchase ringtones for my BlackBerry, not much into Tune ringers. I prefer the Notifiers for messages and standard ringers for phone calls. But you can check some free sites where you can download ringtones straight from your browser. One of the free sites that I go to is Mobile9 - Free ringtones, free themes, free wallpapers, free videos, free software, free games for mobile phone. I play it on my computer before I decide to access and download OTA.

2. Holsters: Is the OEM one supplied with the phone any good? Seems to be a bit trick to get the phone out. Also, can I use my Bluetooth to answer when the phone is in the holster or do I need to take it out. Any suggestions for a replacement?

It's kind of tricky when everything is brand new So have patience? As for replacement for OEM holster, there are a lot of OEMs available. If you ever purchase anything that is not OEM, make sure it has a sleeper function.

3. Screen protector: I always used one in my Palm days. The BB display is gorgeous and I want to keep it that way. Any suggestions?

Try Shieldzone.com, the Invisible Shield. A lot of my friends use this brand and have never heard of any negative feedback about this product.

4. Any straightforward business oriented themes available? Don't like what comes with the BB.

One of my favorite themes for my 8700g, is the Overlord! Black background, white fonts. Check first what themes you have, I'm sure there are a few available already loaded in you BB besides what is default.

5. How do I remove software that I don't like or need?

Remove softwares that you don't like? Any of the standard loaded applications in particular? You can either Hide it or uninstall it using your Desktop Manager. Just make sure you are uninstalling non-critical applications.

6. Any "must haves" for an old man using his BB.

Ohhh gee, this is the hardest question among all the questions you asked Well, I believe, only you will be able to answer this question accurately. It all boils down to what are you looking to do with your new found gadget. Do you keep track of stocks? Are you one of those crazy individual who needs everything organize? Figure out what you like your BB would do for you and go from there.

I know that's a lot of questions but I sure do like this device. I've been using PDAs since the first mono Palms, and cell phones since the Motorola Brick and two other "smartphones" The BB is by far the best of them so far.

Thanks
    05-23-07 09:22 PM
    Did your questions get answered CC??
    06-11-07 01:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD