Hi! I just got my BlackBerry Pearl 8130 on July 13th, and I'm already hopelessly in love with it. My husband and mom each got one too, so we're having a blast messaging each other and learning all the ins and outs.

I've already installed Google Maps (awesome) and I have my left shortcut key set to show my running apps so I don't hog all my memory. I seriously don't know how I ever survived with just a regular phone!

I don't know if others have done this (I'm sure they have) but I have my right shortcut button to "keyguard lock". I have a bad habit of forgetting to lock phones if it's a 2 step or prolonged process (like holding in the * key)

I know I'll be a BB lifer, when it's time to update I'm sure I'll stay in the BB family. I also have an iTouch, and I really wanted the iPhone, but I'm on Verizon so it was a no-go. A friend of mine has the iPhone and after using my BB, and playing with her iPhone, I'm really glad I didn't get it. I love how customizable the BB is. The fact that you can't get into the iPhone even to pull the battery, bothers me. My iTouch has never given me any problems, but I've heard people with the iPhone complaining of freezing, server lags, etc.

Long live RIM!

I already bought a black silicone skin for it to protect it. I've been playing around with themes, but I haven't found one that I completely love. I really like the clean simple look, similar to the OSX theme, which I might buy later down the line, but for now I can't afford buying a theme.

One question:

I'd like to buy a mini SD card, but I don't want to spend a lot. What's the cheapest card I can buy, and where should I get it? I'd like anything around 4 gigs. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is eBay the way to go?

Thanks and I look forward to reading your posts!
    07-23-08 01:09 AM
    Welcome to the Berry and enjoy the best on the web.
    07-23-08 01:30 AM
    Put the BB in standby mode. It not only locks it but saves a ton of battery usage as it shuts off all non essencial stuff. Calls, txt, email, etc function normally. You can hold the mute button for 2 seconds to go to standby (pressing mute while in standby will turn off standby). There is also an auto standby you can buy here in the CB store for $5 and is well worth the $5 for us forgetful people. It simply is a new section of settings in the settings app. I set it to go to standby 10 seconds after the screen turns off (which I have that set to 10 seconds as well. Let me tell ya I forget to put it in standby a lot. When I got auto standby I gained about 10-15% more usage time out of my BB battery. That's how much I was forgetting to put it in standby. I don't even want to know how much the battery gets used by not putting it in standby at all. I almost forgot, in standby the the BB is locked so only pressing the mute key will cause activity or if you get a phone call the screen comes on and you can answer like normal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Stoneryno; 07-23-08 at 06:47 AM.
    07-23-08 06:44 AM
    Welcome, eden! You'll love this site!

07-23-08 06:49 AM
    Congrats on the new phone. Welcome toCB.
    07-23-08 06:52 AM
    welcome welcome welcome
    07-23-08 08:22 AM
    Welcome to the boards, you'll love it here. I second the recommendation for auto-standby.

07-23-08 08:25 AM
    Welcome to BB and CB. You are going to love your new device. It is a lot better than an Iphone. I have had mine for over a month and am absolutely in love with it. Was even worth paying nearly full price for .

07-23-08 08:46 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!!!
    07-24-08 09:00 AM
    Congrats on your new BB and welcome to CB!

07-24-08 09:02 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry and congrats on your new berry!!!
    07-24-08 09:16 AM
    welcome to crackberry
    07-24-08 09:26 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.com!
    07-24-08 09:28 AM
    Welcome to CB the 8130 is a good phone.
    07-24-08 09:36 AM
    Well hi and welcome to crackberry!! I to just purchased an 8310 yesterday not my first bb though. You will fall in love with bb more and more anyways I have always found the best place to get a memory card is ebay. Make sure to get on late at night that is when I seem to always get a good deal. I got my 2g card for .99 cents. Also for themes for your phone I would try nancydrewthemes.com she has some of the best around. They are free but do ask to make a donation towards her work. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me or pin me

07-24-08 09:54 AM
    Welcome!!!!!
    07-24-08 09:58 AM

One question:

I'd like to buy a mini SD card, but I don't want to spend a lot. What's the cheapest card I can buy, and where should I get it? I'd like anything around 4 gigs. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is eBay the way to go?

Thanks and I look forward to reading your posts!
    I am in the same boat - just got my first BB and I'm totally in love and addicted. I ordered a 4gig card from newegg.com and it was less than $20 with shipping. If you find one on e-bay for less go for it, you have buyer protection. Just make sure you check their feedback before you buy. Good luck!
    07-24-08 10:50 AM
    Hello & welcome top the addiction!!!
    07-24-08 11:43 AM
    Sup everyone!
    New to BB and im already hooked =)
    07-24-08 11:50 AM
    Welcome to CB!
    07-24-08 12:03 PM
    i like your avatar and quote lol!! funny
    07-24-08 01:04 PM
    Congrats on your new Berry and Welcome to the Crack!!!
    07-25-08 08:13 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry!! Enjoy your stay!!
    07-25-08 08:29 AM
    We've been waiting for your arrival... Welcome.
    07-25-08 10:47 AM
    Welcome to CB!

Follow the link in my signature. It will guide you down the path to full addiction!

07-25-08 10:59 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD