Hi.
    I've had the 8120 for a couple of weeks now, and all is fine except Bluetooth.
    I can pair/connect to other phones, my b/tooth car kit, and sat nav - I can send pics to other phones.

But, whilst they can see me, phones can't send me files, the car kit answer button does nothing, and the sat nav (Navman S50 3d) won't connect.

Spoke to my provider (Orange, UK), and their techies told me BB's often can't receive B/tooth info from other devices due to their "superior" security, and that I should contact Blackberry/Rim. I did and got a standard reply saying I'd need to pay for support.

Heck, I just want to be able to connect via bluetooth like you can with any pretty basic phone these days.

Any help or advise would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Nick.
    10-21-08 12:48 PM
    Have you toyed with any settings in your Bluetooth Options? Discoverable and Security are two that might make a difference for others to connect to you.
    10-21-08 03:35 PM
    Orange has Script Moinkeys as first line, not techies.

You might need to set your phone's Bluetooth settings to 'Trusted' for each paired device.

Your phone menu should have a list of paired accessories (no idea where on the Pearl). Select a likely device, click Menu and look for Connect.

Once it is paired with a device you don't need to be discoverable. In fact it is better for security if it is Not Discoverable unless you are trying to pair a new accessory.
    10-21-08 05:19 PM
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    I have set each of the devices i'm trying to receive from to "Trusted".
    As an example, I paired this morning with a mate's HTC phone. I found him and requested to connect (pin 0000). He accepted and entered 0000 to connect to me.
    I set the connection as Trusted - Yes, and Encryption - Disabled.

The 8120 is set to discoverable, as it's my own phone and i'm not overy bothered about security on it. The Security level option is set to "High", but the only other option is "High +Encryption".

It said the connection was successfull, and I then b/toothed him a picture, which he received.
    He tried to send one to me, and just got "failed". Other phones get "failed to connect" (sony ericcson) or similar.
    In the same manner, the satnav fails to connect.

From what you guys suggest, it doesn't sound like i'm doing anything wrong, or is there something i'm missing?

Cheers in advance.
    Nick.
    10-22-08 03:39 AM
    Hi Nick,

I also have the 8120, on T-Mobile UK. I've found for people to be able to send me bluetooth stuff, I have to go into media, then the type I want to receive, press the menu button and hit 'receive by Bluetooth'. I have to admit that this annoys me, but I don't receive stuff all that often so it doesn't annoy me all that often.

I also use a bluetooth car kit (a Jabra one, not sure which), and my BB connects as soon as I turn it on, and I can receive calls fine. I've not tried to make a call for ages, but the last time i tried I think I had a problem. I changed an option somewhere on the Pearl to 'allow outgoing calls when locked', but I don't think I've tried it since. I'll have a go later and report back

I don't have a satnav so can't help there!

Hope this helps,

Laura
    10-22-08 03:58 AM
    I have an 8120 with T-Mobile here in the states, so I hope this is close to your phone. I simply select the Bluetooth Setup icon from my main menu and then it automatically prompts a question menu of whether I want to search for a device or allow another device to find me. I select the latter if someone is trying to connect to me (like another phone rather than something permanent like a headset) and it is all just fine.

Also with the 8120 try going into your media section using icon from main menu, and then roll over the picture section but do not click on it. Hit the menu key to bring up the menu options and select "Receive using Bluetooth".

I hope this helps!

EDIT: Oops, looks like Laura beet me to it. I really think that is what us 8120 users have to do
    10-22-08 04:09 AM
    Laura, Dakatone - thankyou very much!
    It worked, I received a picture and audio clip via the methods you mentioned (into media, select type etc.)
    It is a bit long winded isn't it - I guess that's part of BB's security?!

Anyway, I will persevere with the SatNav (I have only just got it).
    I can use the bluetooth car kit, but I have to hit answer on the 8120, which is a bit awkward - rather than using the answer button on the dash.

Thanks very much indeed for your help.
    Kind regards.
    Nick.
    10-22-08 01:12 PM
    No problems, I think that is the best part of Crackberry, the assistance you get...for FREE!

I am still looking and hoping, but maybe one day there will be aftermarket software that can "fix" this for Pearl users.

Glad it worked for you Nick!
    10-22-08 01:54 PM
    Yeah, it is a pain. I want to choose how I set my security, not have it dictated.
    It's a brilliant phone in other respect, just not as "friendly" as other brands.
    Thanks again guys.
    cheers.
    10-23-08 02:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD