Hello all, new to the site (1st post). I'm also new to BB's, and soon that'll be obvious.

I spend 10-12 hours a day in a truck for work, so I don't have a lot of time to get things done in my personal life. I thought I'd be more productive with a smartphone, so I bought an 8320. Now I'm thinking that might have been a bad decision...

1st question, why doesn't it play video? Anything I try to look at off youtube either says "error launching app/program" or "file too large, please try opening another file".

2nd question, what is "unlocking" a phone? What does it do? I'm trying to get the most out of my phone by being paitient and learning, but I feel like I'm too far behind to catch up...

3rd question, where is the pointer? My friend's curve (Verizon) has a pointer that moves with the trackball, mine (Tmobile) just scrolls.

I have more questions, but I'll stop here for now. Any help would be appreciated, and I do best with step-by-step K.I.S.S. instructions. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me!
    08-23-08 12:19 PM
    I don't know the answers to all your questions but unlocking a phone means you can use it on any cell phone carrier around the world. For example you have a Gsm unlocked phone and I go to Europe and when I get to Europe I buy a prepaid sim to use while over there.
    08-23-08 12:24 PM
    ive had mine for over a week and i still have alot of questions. I know i am not using it to its full potential but i am still learning. hang in there and stick around here..........everyone here is very helpful and you will have it all figured out in no time.
    08-23-08 12:24 PM
    Okay, so if I'm not traveling outside the U.S., then there's not much point in unlocking my phone, correct? Also, what are the benefits of a prepaid sim versus having a call/data plan?
    08-23-08 12:34 PM
    Unfortunately these Blackberrys don't support youtube videos. The newest one, the Bold, has support for it.

Welcome to CB hope you stick around and learn more about your BB before deciding it's not for you.
    08-23-08 12:35 PM
    Unfortunately these Blackberrys don't support youtube videos. The newest one, the Bold, has support for it.

Welcome to CB hope you stick around and learn more about your BB before deciding it's not for you.
    Bummer... my friends' Verizon curve plays them and all kinds of other links and stuff too... maybe it's time to make a switch away from tmo?
    08-23-08 12:42 PM
    Bummer... my friends' Verizon curve plays them and all kinds of other links and stuff too... maybe it's time to make a switch away from tmo?
    The Verizon Curve is the 8330 (the CDMA version of the 8300, 8310, and 8320) if I'm not mistaken.. I have the same model and it doesn't play youtube vids.

I'm not sure what the defining factor is in that case.
    08-23-08 12:49 PM
    I have vzw cure and i watch youtube at m.youtube.com with no problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-08 01:46 PM
    I have a 8130 pearl from vzw and it plays youtube vids fine with not problem
    08-23-08 01:54 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!! Don't give up so quick.

08-23-08 01:55 PM
    Same here mine plays video from m.youtube.com just fine.

I have a 8130 pearl from vzw and it plays youtube vids fine with not problem
    08-23-08 01:57 PM
    welcome to CB. It can be overwhelming at first...but you'll get it eventually. m.youtube.com works fine on my 8330.

08-23-08 02:07 PM
    Another video option. Vids won't stream if they're over a minute and a half, you need to save them. blueapple.mobi web video search

08-23-08 02:40 PM
    Didn't the new OS add that ability to the older ones. I know the Sprint 8330 will work on youtube from the box and its really fast actually.
    08-23-08 03:20 PM

Please research a bit before giving people incorrect information. These devices do support Youtube videos. The 4.5 OS plays Youtube videos like a charm, and even the older OS versions, like 4.3, allow you to view Youtube videos. I simply use blueapple.mobi, personally. As for the OP's original questions.....

Hello all, new to the site (1st post). I'm also new to BB's, and soon that'll be obvious.

I spend 10-12 hours a day in a truck for work, so I don't have a lot of time to get things done in my personal life. I thought I'd be more productive with a smartphone, so I bought an 8320. Now I'm thinking that might have been a bad decision...

1st question, why doesn't it play video? Anything I try to look at off youtube either says "error launching app/program" or "file too large, please try opening another file".

Please see above.

2nd question, what is "unlocking" a phone? What does it do? I'm trying to get the most out of my phone by being paitient and learning, but I feel like I'm too far behind to catch up...

Unlocking a phone simply allows you to use GSM phones from one particular carrier on another. As long as you have a Tmo phone on a Tmo network, you don't need to worry about this.

3rd question, where is the pointer? My friend's curve (Verizon) has a pointer that moves with the trackball, mine (Tmobile) just scrolls.

You are most likely thinking of the cursor that appears while in a browser session. You can change this under your browser settings.

I have more questions, but I'll stop here for now. Any help would be appreciated, and I do best with step-by-step K.I.S.S. instructions. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me!
    08-23-08 03:32 PM
    Welcome to CB and the BB world.
    Don't be overwhelmed by the BB in time to come you would enjoy it.

08-23-08 03:34 PM
    I'm sorry you feel that way so quickly.

1. Like Jenay said, point your browser to "blueapple.mobi" and type the name of the youtube video. The Verizon curve already has 4.3 loaded and can play youtube videos directly from the website. Blueapple acts as a translator.

2. It's been explained. Used for using on other GSM carriers and/or international travel.

3. To add to Jenay's post, go into your browser then settings and then change the view to "Desktop View" (I believe)
    08-23-08 08:03 PM
    Welcome to CB!
    08-23-08 09:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD