I suspect I'll be at the AT&T store on Tuesday buying my first smart phone.

I'm pretty much decided on the bold 9700.

So after reading about applications and browsers over the last few days and looking on the app store, what do people like?

I read somewhere that Opera is the browser of choice

Also - standard calendar application, or does someone have any suggestions for the busy grad student?

And, hmmm, replace the OS right away?

Thanks!
    04-19-10 07:56 PM
    SBSH Calendar Pro works well for me, I'm also a grad student and work full time; it keeps me organized.

I don't know much about os but I'm sure someone on the forums will help you.

Welcome to the club and enjoy.
    04-19-10 08:00 PM
    Tether BlackBerry | BlackBerry Modem | Tether Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music the 2 apps that will never leave my blackberry personally i don't care for opera, but to each his own.. the stock bb calendar is great. and as far as the 9700.... you won't be dissapointed... well maybe you will when the next latest greatest bb comes out and your contract is binded... but still a great phone none the less...
    04-19-10 08:03 PM
    I would suggest you try the stock BB browser, and calendar. Go check out a program called StudentDocket. It is superb for students out there! I have been using it for about 2 years now, and couldn't function without it.
    04-19-10 08:06 PM
    -Opera is faster, but the native wins in some parts.
    -OS is completely to you, you can if you want, I upgraded as soon as I got the phone, no problems here.
    -I use Bejoose and Memory Booster to optimize my memory and recover it
    -BeamExplorer is a free, GOOD file manager with the ability to zip/unzip

Don't use much apps besides those.
    04-19-10 08:07 PM
    I've had the 9700 for about a month now and being relatively new I'd say upgrade the OS asap, but try the native apps (calender, browser, etc.) First before switching. Personally I tried opera and hated it, I now use native and will sometimes use bolt for browsing, but the native calender is good.

Ultimately, to each his own, ya gotta try it out and you will definitely find what fits you perfecly

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-10 08:38 PM
    thanks ya'all... I'm sure I'll be playin' with it tomorrow night!
    04-19-10 10:02 PM
    I am not a student but on the go business point of view...

i got the latest os
    weather app
    zen theme w transitions and weather button
    google maps, lattitude and google talk
    my sync client

browser i kind of like the new browser and i swear the new firmware is faster for downloading but it maybe just placebo.

using stock calendar/email/contacts etc

I tried opera and bolt... i kind of prefer the stock i think it seems to be pretty fast.
    04-19-10 10:28 PM
    ok, the first 24 hours have been interesting.

I didn't have a desktop PIM and I won't use outlook for anything (I use Eudora, don't laugh, it runs just fine on XP) so I'm trying to make do with the halfway useable sync applications with google calendar.

No task syncing, yet... working on that but so far cannot get GMtaskSync to run at all.

Anyway, I like it so far. The phone part works well and I'm enjoying my ability to twitter/text with my friends...
    04-21-10 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD