i was looking for a cheap phone with a qwerty, found a 7250 on ebay for 15 bucks.
    set up through verizon. (the reason i said or 7290 is because when i plugged it into my pc it said it was a 7290)

found the latest version software i could, which shows on the phone as v 4.1.0.268 (platform 2.2.0.112) - on this About menu, it says it is actually a 7250.
    It also says Java is installed with the little flash screen but I havent seen Java work at all during my browsing.

I've tried downloading many apps, even those that actually download properly and install don't work: for example - facebook mobile and google+ apps both give me the same error when attempting to initialize:

Error starting facebookmobile: Symbol 'BrowserSession.showBrowser' not found.

I also have a list of apps that have come up when trying to install, download or run an app I've downloaded:

net rim bb lbs api 2
    net rim bbapi maps
    net rim bbapi messagelist
    net rim xml org
    net rim bb browser field2 api
    net rim crypto
    net rim jaxrpc

(all of these filenames, when listed on the BB, have underscores instead of spaces)

So what can I do with this 7250? No contract. Verizon service. $30 data package 2 gb limit. + 10 bucks for friends and family unlimited text.
    If there's anything crazy I can do to this phone to get more functionality out of it, I'd love to know....thank you.
    05-06-12 09:39 PM
    If you're using your device on Verizon, you have the 7250. The 7290 is its practically identical twin for use on GSM networks. I would be very surprised if Facebook Mobile and Google+ apps would run on a device this old. Other than installing the latest OS there isn't anything more you can do. Devices that old just don't have the power, memory, and software to run newer, graphic intensive apps. I had one in 2007. It's a great phone and practically indestructible, but now obsolete.
    05-07-12 09:41 PM
    Thanks for the reply!

Can anyone recommend an older (aka cheaper) blackberry that can use a version of software that can do facebook twitter google+ apps etc?

Thanks in advance.
    05-15-12 09:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD