I have an 8830 with Verizon and am going to Tokyo next month. Where can I find information on how to use my phone there? I know it has something to do with a sim card and stuff like that but that's as far as I've gotten. Thanks for the help in advance!
    03-07-08 12:24 AM
    Call your carrier. Most have a counterpart abroad (when I used to go to mainland Europe I was auto-swithed to Movistar) but charges differ.

You may be able to find the info on Google but calling the carrier is your best option.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-08 02:16 AM
    It's a given that there are no GSM based networks at all in Japan. Many foreign tourists/business people travelling in Japan find it a whole lot simpler and less expensive to just rent a phone upon arrival at the airport. The process is slick and easy. The CDMA capabilities of your 8830 are no good in Japan either. Still in doubt? Then also read from this 8830 user in and reporting from Japan -
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/bb-8...te-japan-2679/

As another option, use the services of a reputable firm like International cell phones - cell phone rental, GSM phone rental and Satellite phone rental when needing a phone for Japan or Korea. Cell Hire is used for occasional requests by the large international firm I work in. Phones are delivered to you before you go.

Here for more info about the networks in Japan
    Japanese Cellular Phones FAQ
    Last edited by Berryman; 03-07-08 at 06:03 AM.
    03-07-08 05:48 AM
    Well that's not good news. But thanks for those links, I'll check those out.
    03-07-08 10:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD