Hi! I am new to CB and to Blackberries (received my Bold two weeks ago).

Apologies for the large thread ahead, but I have tried O2 customer service (who always put me through to their 'blackberry support line' and then the guys there tell me to call CS back and tell them there's no such thing as Blackberry support??) and O2 forums with no luck. I have been lurking through this website and it seems excellent, hopefully you guys can help!!

(I am absolutely new and unfamiliar with Blackberries as you might tell from my post. heh) I have ordered the blackberry package with O2 (MY BB is not linked with any networks). I received my SIM, got boltons activated, received service books and everything was set and ready to go.

I have been emailing/receiving, using the messenger and trying the web browsing and it was working flawlessly.

Three days later, it stopped...
    I called O2 again, as it obviously seems like a service issue, they asked me to clean my SIM! which is new, so I did not believe this was the case, but did so anyway. Nothing's changed.

*Called O2 support again, they asked me to delete and resend Service books. I did so, but i did not receive anything. I have turned it on/off, pulled battery out, nothing. I got home from work that night, where our wireless flows in the air and my blackberry connected to it (default as per my option) - all emails and messages started coming in. It came to life!

I am deeply unsatisfied with such service and I hope you can understand, as we already are paying for our Wireless back at home, lol, and I have chosen the Blackberry simplicity plan to actually use it, not have it off when i leave home!

Sorry for the moaning, but I hope someone can help me...
    09-30-08 06:42 AM
    ...Sorry I also forgot to mention it says GPRS in the corner and not EDGE, I have read numerous reports on the net, it says GPRS means I can send receive emails, but it's not the case.

I should also be in a EDGE area since I am in central London so it's a bit odd??

*my colleague confirmed that my emails and messenger messages go out, as they receive them, but i do not receive any replies and the browser keeps loading and nothing happens..

Kittens/Amber
    09-30-08 06:54 AM
    Firstly Hello & Welcome to the Forum

Sorry to hear you've been having problems...hopefully the experience & vast knowledge of people on here will solve your problems.

Can i ask...when you open your browser do you get any error messages ? i.e does it actually connect to the internet ?
    Can you also check to see if your browser is set to Hotspot Browser or Internet Browser.

With your Bold you should actually be getting 3G coverage in London but if its only EDGE or GPRS then you should still send/receive e-mails etc no problem.
    Last edited by CGSCOT; 09-30-08 at 07:24 AM.
    09-30-08 07:16 AM
    Hi there and thanks! Glad to be here..

Well, I thought 3G wouldn't be a problem either, but the thing is it appears in the upper corner when the BB is first turned on - and then swaps to GPRS in the next few minutes. I have no clue how to stop this!

The browser does not give a message -it just tries and loads forever. After I deleted the service books and was unable to get them back until I got home and got connected to wireless - it said this is a WiFi service and didn't allow me to even try browsing.

When I look under Options > Manage Connections> Services status
    it says Blackberry Internet service: not conencted
    It said Mobile network early this morning, but nothing was working anyway.

Thanks.....!
    09-30-08 08:03 AM
    Uh, how do I check if it's HotSpot?
    09-30-08 08:05 AM
    mmmm...If it says BIS - not connected sound like you BIS account isn't activated...it should say Mobile Network ? I take it you BIS account is activated...although it must have been if you were getting e-mails before.

Can you try a couple of things just to rule something else out.

click manage connections
    scroll to mobile network options & click
    scroll to network mode & click - Which will say, 3G, 2G, 3G & 2G
    click on 2G
    (the network will go off & then back on again)

whilst in manage connections
    scroll & untick wi-fi box so it will have red x at right hand side.

next go to browser
    BB key & scroll & click options
    click general properties
    default browser will read either Internet browser, O2 Active or Hotspot Browser
    Change to Internet browser.
    save, close & come out of browser

Go into browser & see if that works and go into messages, BB key & click reconcile now..see if any e-mails come in.

Just want to see if any of that works in 2G only with WI-FI & 3G switched off.
    09-30-08 08:31 AM
    Hi Kittens, welcome to CB.

London I believe does not have a great EDGE network but GPRS should be fine.

When your connection goes have you tried going to options > advanced options > host routing table and hitting menu > register now? This should reregister you on the network.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Hazysky; 09-30-08 at 08:46 AM.
    09-30-08 08:42 AM
    Hi there and thanks for your replies!

CGSCOT> I have followed the steps and done like you asked except "default browser will read either Internet browser, O2 Active or Hotspot Browser
    Change to Internet browser." = my only option when I choose 'change' is Hotspot browser.

I tried checking if this worked anyway > but it didn't work. And I don't have a 'reconcile now' choice under bb messages>bb button?? I have email reconciliation under messages options, but it's blank?

Hazysky> I have done that and received an immediate email saying i am now registered, but nothing works?
    09-30-08 09:47 AM
    Ok that sounds like a service book problem or Blackberry Account setting if you have no e-mail reconciliation or browser options.

Now that you have received your e-mail (as Hazysky post) go back into your BIS account & resend you service books & double check you have the PIN & IME numbers in the boxes & even try deleteing & setting your e-mail address again. You are probably fed up of sending service books so sorry you have to try again. Once you done that, take battery out for 30 secs & see if you get anything when you start your BB up again.

If none of that works then it must be a problem at O2's end with your BIS account not being registered by them correctly.
    Last edited by CGSCOT; 09-30-08 at 10:12 AM.
    09-30-08 10:07 AM
    Ok that sounds like a service book problem or Blackberry Account setting if you have no e-mail reconciliation or browser options.

Now that you have received your e-mail (as Hazysky post) go back into your BIS account & resend you service books & double check you have the PIN & IME numbers in the boxes & even try deleteing & setting your e-mail address again. You are probably fed up of sending service books so sorry you have to try again. Once you done that, take battery out for 30 secs & see if you get anything when you start your BB up again.

If none of that works then it must be a problem at O2's end with your BIS account not being registered by them correctly.

Thanks for your speedy reply! I have deleted my email account, and re-entered my pin and ime details, readded the email address, and sent service books. Turned phone off & took battery out for over 30 secs, put it back in - nothing happened. No service books no changes... I am losing hope ..

And the best bit is that O2 says there is nothing they can do. And that I should call Blackberry helpdesk. this does not look like a technical issue!

*miserable*
    09-30-08 10:51 AM
    - and I know that I will go home, connect to my home wireless and will receive all these tripple registrations and service books, emails and messages.. this is not how a blackberry should work. And I was looking forward to my first Bold!
    09-30-08 10:53 AM
    It does sound as if your Blackberry service has been knocked off somehow. O2 probably need to reprovision you but I can see you are reluctant to call them again.

Where did you get your Bold from? If all else fails get an exchange under your warranty.

09-30-08 11:00 AM
    Ah poo.....definately sounds like its a problem with O2....I was maybe thinking it was a faulty SIM but you get calls etc & it was just e-mail/browser/messenger that wasn't working.

Not really sure what else to try, you're not getting anywhere with phone support, try the shop you got it from ?

Its odd that everything works when on wi-fi but nothing works on GPRS
    09-30-08 11:12 AM
    What OS version is on your Bold kittens?

I've been thinking (dangerous!) In one of the earlier versions I think there was a bug in that the default browser couldn't be changed when set to hotspot browser. This sounds like the issue you are having.

09-30-08 11:31 AM
    Hey, I got it from directbuyer.co.uk NIB.

How do you mean O2 needs to reprovision me? I would call them again but I need to know what to ask for exactly, I don't know how Blackberry service works, or how it gets activated at their/my end and what can be changed... Does anyone? Thanks again for your response!

Hoping I do not need to exchange the blackberry itself :/.
    09-30-08 11:32 AM
    Hazysky, I have upgraded to the new version as per the sticky post under Bold 9000 today hoping it will improve it, and it has been successful or so it said, but nothing changed.

It says it's v4.6.0.147 (platform 4.0.0.144)
    09-30-08 11:34 AM
    Basically to ensure the blackberry tariff has been correctly applied but if it works over your home wifi than it must be. See post above re OS version.

09-30-08 11:35 AM
    Ok. When you get home and all your registraions then come in over wifi try then to change to defalult broswer to internet browser at options > advanced options >browser.

This is a very odd problem!

09-30-08 11:40 AM
    Ok, will do and will let you know!

Sorry to be a newb with a tough problem!
    09-30-08 12:10 PM
    It certainly an odd problem *thinks some more*
    09-30-08 12:17 PM
    I do not want to be a moaner but I got home, and BB says connected to our WiFi but BlackBerry internet service still says: Not connected. used to say wifi!! And nothing is going through at all! I will soon have a panic attack. Am i stuck?
    09-30-08 02:19 PM
    Have you reversed everything you did today & all the settings we asked you to check, turned on wi-fi again, changed back to 3G & so on ?

If you have & nothing working then I'm afraid you'll have to call O2 again & get them to double check you are correctly activated on the BIS account & everything is switched on & also ask if the SIM is correctly activated also...I take it they sent you a 3G sim ?
    09-30-08 03:45 PM
    Yup indeed I have, it's back to 3g and wifi...
    Wil call o2 tomorrow, last hope.
    09-30-08 04:50 PM
    Its a real strange one. Hope you get a better support person tomorrow

Sorry couldn't solve it for you

09-30-08 05:58 PM
    Just a miserable update..

On the phone with o2 for two hours.
    *They tried the 'outage on 29th September' - eventhough everyone else's iphones and blackberries are fine
    *the 'your home postal code belongs to the black spot' (it didnt work at work either, they could not fight that one)
    *they sent me test emails, which I did not receive, because I explained even the service books dont come through anymore
    *they claimed the filter in my BIS (which stops forwarding my gmail email copies to me) has got something to do with this
    *they asked me to completely wipe my device and try again = done = no luck
    *they said there is nothing else they can do and that my Bold is faulty.

So........ I am not happy, confused, and newbish. I guess I will try and see if i can get a replacement.
    10-02-08 05:39 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD