Hello, all --

I've been lurking here and decided to introduce myself. I'm new to Blackberry -- had my Curve for about three months (Sprint customer) -- and I love it. It's the best phone I ever had. Coming from the Samsung Instinct, I can really appreciate my "Berry." I love it for all the reasons most people here already know, so I guess I'll just say that the push email and multitasking (like being able to use AIM, msn, and yahoo at the same time, without having to sign out of one to use the other) are just a few of my favorite features.

As for look, I'm somewhat of a minimalist. I don't like icons on my Blackberry's screen or on my computer desktop. I prefer to see only my wallpaper and to use keyboard shortcuts for as much as possible. (I don't dial from the home screen, though I do speed dial from it.) Here's what I did to make that happen on my Blackberry.

First, I selected the BB Dimension Icon theme. Then, I made a folder for the many unused icons for which I already had keyboard shortcuts or simply didn't use. Then, I placed the occasionally used icons for which I had no shortcut (in my case, these are only the camera, video camera, navigation, voice recorder, and uber twitter) on the "desktop" next to the folder of unneeded icons. I selected "hide" for each icon and the folder and made sure that "show all" wasn't selected. This gave me what I wanted: a clean desktop with only my often-changing wallpaper to enjoy. I use keyboard shortcuts for the things I do 90% of the time. For example, if I want IM clients, I press i, x, and y for AIM, msn, and yahoo respectively. If I want the address book or to compose an email, I press a or c. If I want the alarm, the calculator, or options, I press r, u, or o. For messages, I press m. For saved messages, memo pad or tasks, it's v, d, or t. If I want the call log, I press the send button. If I need any of my less-frequently used applications, I simply press the Blackberry key, select "show all," and the tasks for which I don't have shortcuts and the folder of mostly unneeded icons are there in icon form. I have both convenience keys set for application switching.

Anyway, I didn't mean to bore with a list of shortcuts. Sorry for that, if I did. I just wanted to share how I'm making my Blackberry work the way I want. Before I discovered the method which I described above, I thought I was going to have to design a theme to be able to have an icon-free screen (or, more realistically, have someone else design the theme), so I'm quite pleased that that wasn't necessary.

In any case, thanks for the great site. I hope I can contribute something once in awhile.

T�nis aka "tony"
    08-08-09 11:50 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.com!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-09 06:17 PM
    Welcome buddy!
    08-25-09 03:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD