Ok, I've spent several intimate hours with Google looking for an answer to this. Most of the posts on the subject seem quite old, so I'm hoping for some newer info or ideas.

Basically, Gmail reconciliation sucks.

When I delete mail on my BB, it is instantly deleted from my Gmail account. When I delete mail on my Gmail account it is eventually deleted on my BB.

Clicking "Reconcile Now" does nothing.

I've deleted the Gmail account in BIS, and reset the account following the directions on the Gmail website. If there is a new fix (that I haven't found in Google) please point me in the right direction.

As I don't think there is a fix right now, how about setting up an IMAP server? I've got a Windows Home Server running 24/7, so I was thinking about setting up a IMAP server. I'm thinking about hMailServer (if it's free it's for me). Any thoughts on this? Pros? Cons?

Thanks,
    Bill
    11-15-08 04:50 PM
    It doesn't really work that way - you can delete from your BB and have it be deleted from Gmail, but since your are on BIS you can't delete from Gmail and have it delete the mail on your BB - - if it eventually did delete it was probably due to some other reason like number of day you have set to retain old email on your BB - - the reconcile feature where it would work both ways is a BES feature.
    11-15-08 04:56 PM
    Nope, it's not because it sat on BB too long. It actually deleted it off of the BB after a few hours. My purge time on BB is set to 60 days. I read some posts on here (or another forum) with the same time frame of "a few hours" to delete from BB after being deleted in Gmail. I've tried with several messages so far, and it seems to delete after about 3 hours.
    11-15-08 05:00 PM
    Nope, it's not because it sat on BB too long. It actually deleted it off of the BB after a few hours. My purge time on BB is set to 60 days. I read some posts on here (or another forum) with the same time frame of "a few hours" to delete from BB after being deleted in Gmail. I've tried with several messages so far, and it seems to delete after about 3 hours.

Well, I am surprised by that
    11-15-08 05:38 PM
    Yep, it deletes it after a few hours. There are some posts on this forum that report the same thing. I'm with AT&T, so I don't know how much that plays into the whole big picture. I've also got it set up as IMAP instead of POP3 and I've completely disabled POP in the Gmail settings.

Instead of setting up an IMAP server, I've also considered using Yahoo since it seems to have a better reconcile ability than Gmail, but Yahoo doesn't have IMAP available to regular users. There was a Beta IMAP service, but I understand that it has been discontinued.
    11-15-08 05:47 PM
    Yep, I tried it again just to make sure. If you delete mail from your Gmail account it does delete it from the BB. It only took NINE hours to delete it!

Is there a really good solution for this? I'd like to use Gmail, but NINE hours is unacceptable. Right now I'm using a AT&T Yahoo account (I've got UVerse) that deletes from the BB right away. Since it's part of UVerse, I get to use the POP access for free without paying for upgraded mail. I'd prefer access using IMAP due to the number of locations and the way that I check my mail. I'm not a fan of webmail. Alas, Yahoo doesn't have IMAP access.

I prefer the Gmail antispam and IMAP access, but to wait NINE hours for the mail to be deleted from the BB is just crazy!

I tried AIM Mail, (free IMAP access) and it doesn't reconcile either.

I guess I'll stick to Yahoo for now and keep an eye on Gmail's progress with the delete capability. I can switch when Gmail gets better. I'm forwarding my own domain address so it's no big deal to switch back and forth. I'm also going to start working on setting up hMailServer so I can get ALL of the features I want (hopefully).
    11-16-08 05:18 PM
    It's curious, as I was looking for the same today... I had set up IMAP for my GMail account a while back, but never really used it, as I only access my email at home (I use Thunderbird as my main email program). But now, having a BB with a POP setup is tedious, as I have to usually re-read my messages when I get home and see which ones are newer than my last glance at the BB.

For now, I have just set up my IMAP account in BIS, to see how it works. It works great and as expected between web-base GMail and TB. It somewhat works between the BB, GMail and TB.

BTW, if I mark a message as read on my BB, so it's supposed to be marked as read on the web-based Gmail, should I still receive a READ copy of the message in TB? Or, being marked as read, TB does not download it?
    11-16-08 10:31 PM
    For now, I have just set up my IMAP account in BIS, to see how it works. It works great and as expected between web-base GMail and TB. It somewhat works between the BB, GMail and TB.
    Is it actually deleting the messages from the BB when you delete them from the web based Gmail instantly or at least in a reasonable time? I wonder if this may be carrier related since i see you're T-Mobile and I'm AT&T.
    11-16-08 11:19 PM
    If I delete on GMail and still see old messages on my bb a simple Refresh always cures the problem and puts me back in sync on both sides.
    11-17-08 08:52 AM
    Is it actually deleting the messages from the BB when you delete them from the web based Gmail instantly or at least in a reasonable time? I wonder if this may be carrier related since i see you're T-Mobile and I'm AT&T.
    I have to find some time this weekend to test a bit more, I will update you on my progress!
    11-20-08 08:50 PM
    BTW, welcome to CB! :-)
    11-21-08 12:13 AM
    I have AT&T as my carrier, and here's the scoop: BB's "native" Gmail receives emails quickly, but it does not under any circumstances "reconcile" with my laptop's Gmail account. The "Reconcile Now" option does nothing. In effect, it is like having 2 separate Gmail accounts, and therefore, is worthless to me.

The only solution (for me, anyway) was to download Gmail's own email software to my BB, and manage my emails from there. Although there is a time delay between the 2 being in synch (under 30 minutes at the worst, and usually much faster than that), at least the action you take on your laptop is reflected on the BB, and vice versa. Hitting "Refresh" when in Gmail on the BB, seems to speed things up a bit.

I think all the "instructions" on the BB, the AT&T BB site, and on the Gmail site about synching the 2, or reconciling the 2, are a bunch of garbage. Perhaps the Gmail and BB work together better if somehow Gmail is your "corporate" email. Just speculation, but I use Outlook for my corproate email and what I do on my laptop and my BB synch up automatically pretty quickly.

Other than this issue, I love my BB.

Iit seems to me that issues like this, where the problem may lie in several areas (in this case, AT&T, Gmail, RIM) take forever to get resolved....if they ever do get resolved.
    11-21-08 02:11 PM
    BTW, welcome to CB! :-)

Thanks!!!
    11-22-08 01:50 PM
    Why bother with all the issues of using gmail on the blackberry?

Use the gmail mobile app (http:// www. google. com/mobile/blackberry/mail. html) and everything is easy. Archive right from the screen instead of deleting. View emails in gmail native conversation view. The only downfall is it does not currently support full HTML viewing with emails. I am guessing this update will come soon now that the bold and storm are out.
    11-22-08 11:50 PM
    The reason to bother is that the BB native "Gmail" app offers virtually instant email receipt, but the "real" Gmail app has a significant delay on the BB.
    11-23-08 09:36 PM
    11-24-08 04:57 PM
    guys sorry to sound n00bish but when i delete an email from my BB it does not delete from my gmail! Ive tried reconcile now and it still doesnt work...im on BIS...how do u guys get this to work for you?
    11-25-08 08:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD