I am not using BB service/data plan at this time. Is it possible to d/l the latest version of Desktop Manager without being registered at Blackberry website? When I tried to d/l an error message said that there was no phone number associated with my information. Is there any other way to get the latest version?
    09-23-08 06:35 AM
    I just went to the Verizon BlackBerry site, selected 8830 as my device, and entered my daughter's Verizon (but not BlackBerry) cell phone number and was able to download Desktop Manager.

Your device info says you are not a Blackberry user. Why would you want to d/l Desktop Manager?
    09-24-08 11:53 AM
    sorry for the confusion.
    I did not state my situation properly. Here it is again:
    I want to buy a Curve 8310/20 but my situation is that I live in a rural area in India where the BIS is not available right now. I have been trying to test the possibilities of using the phone without the BIS. (mainly because I need a high voice quality and strong reception capable phone to handle the situation where I live and so I am interested in BB to solve my problems.). I tried going to the RIM site to d/l the latest version of DM but I receive an error message when I put in my information on the form. It says that no number is associated with this information. Is there any workaround for this? (for d/l the latest version)?
    09-25-08 07:10 AM
    If you use the carrier specific links, you will be asked for a valid carrier phone number. The simple way around that is to bypass the carrier and download it directly from the BlackBerry support site.

This link will take you directly to Desktop Manager. The latest version is v4.6.

BlackBerry Desktop Manager

I can appreciate you quality of service issue, I also live in a fringe reception area. Getting one bar is tough at times, paticularly indoors.

The solution to that is Wifi and Unlicenced Mobile Access (UMA). Instead of using the carrier network, your voice and data is routed through an Internet connection. That will require a UMA enabled device, the Curve 8320, and UMA support through your carrier.
    09-25-08 10:51 AM
    thanks for the info and suggestion. I will ask the carrier if UMA is supported.
    09-25-08 11:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD