I am considering getting a Blackberry Curve.

I have been doing a lot of reading of the Crackberry forums, but I haven't found anyone with a scenario which exactly matches mine.

I am in the UK so my choice of network will be Orange, Vodafone or O2. More than likely it will be Orange. (I have seen how the O2 BIS works, but do all the BIS web sites work the same and offer the same features?)

I have multiple POP3 mailboxes, which I download using my existing e-mail client.

Using a borrowed Blackberry on the O2 network, I have experimented with the POP3 mirror settings on both the e-mail client and the BIS. It appears that the setting which I would need would be to enable POP3 mirroring on both, but this has two disadvantages.

(1) It synchronises deletions (in an unpredictable way), which I do not want.

(2) It results in all e-mails being left in the POP3 mailbox, which will result in it filling up quickly due to the volume of e-mails.

I simply want a copy of every e-mail sent to that POP3 box to be made available for the e-mail client and also sent to the Blackberry. Every e-mail to both, every time. The e-mail client will likely be left on and collecting e-mail all the time, so it could get to an e-mail before or after the BIS. I do not want any synchronisation. I do not want any situation where either the Blackberry gets the mail OR the e-mail client gets the mail, but not both. Mirroring might help, but I don't want the leaving of all mails on the POP3 server to fill up the mailbox quota and I don't want the synchronisation.

So, to achieve my aim of simply delivering every e-mail to both the e-mail client and to the Blackberry, I think the only method is to use a POP3 mailbox which will auto-forward every e-mail to two further POP3 boxes; one POP3 box to then be downloaded by the e-mail client (with no mirroring) and one POP3 box to be downloaded by BIS and pushed to the Blackberry handset (again with no mirroring).

Am I correct and does anyone have any better suggestions?

Many thanks for any help.
    03-29-08 02:52 PM
    Welcome 2 CB.

I will re-read this in the morning if you haven't already been helped.
    03-30-08 12:19 AM
    Yes, BIS is pretty much the same with all carriers...

With BIS / an email client, BOTH or them will receive new emails. If you're using GMail, Hotmail or Yahoo, you can set BIS to delete emails from your email(s)...
    03-30-08 02:32 AM
    Yes, BIS is pretty much the same with all carriers...

With BIS / an email client, BOTH or them will receive new emails. If you're using GMail, Hotmail or Yahoo, you can set BIS to delete emails from your email(s)...
    That seems to be only possible by using POP3 mirroring on both the e-mail client and the BIS. From my experiements, I believe I do not want this enabled because

(1) I do not want the synchronisation, because it appears unreliable and erratic

(2) I do not want all mails being left in the POP3 mailbox, because it will fill up very quickly and cause me extra work to have to go and empty it every few days.

Any suggestions for ways to get around this, that are better than my idea of using a forwarder into two separate POP3 boxes; one for mail client and one for BIS ?
    03-30-08 04:05 AM
    I'm making progress. I have now obtained a mail account that can forward to 2 other addresses, so I can have it forward to one POP3 box for the Blackberry to download from and one POP3 box for the existing mail client to download from. And they can't interfere with each other with screwed up and unreliable / unpredictable sync'ing etc.

Now, to resolve the ridiculously long 20 minute delays for every e-mail to reach the handset. I have created a gmail account and used this as the POP3/IMAP mailbox for the BIS to download from. Which gives near-real-time delivery to handset. Certainly fast enough for me. But it doesn't allow me to send 'from' my real e-mail address. I can only send from the gmail address which looks unprofessional. How do I get this fixed?

It seems I can have either near-instant e-mail delivery OR I can use my existing e-mail address. But not both. Is this true?

(I'm a Sys Admin with 10 years experience creating, configuring, fixing POP3 and other mailboxes, as well as recent experience with BES in the corporate environment. Quite how the ordinary "man on the street" is supposed to find a way to get a BIS-based Blackberry working in a sensible manner is worrying.)
    04-03-08 03:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD