So I see that only certain email attachments can be viewed on my BB Curve 8300. OK, so why can't I download any type of attached file and transfer it to my laptop so I can view it there.

If there is a way to download any attached file type and get it on my laptop please let me know. I heard this is the BB Guru forum so this should be a no-brainer.

So far I've tried changing the file extension, which sort of worked except that the phone then tried to display it and of course couldn't so the process was aborted.

I then saved the email, hoping the attachment would be saved along with it but I can't find where the email was saved. To make matters worse, the Media Manager utility only deals with, well, media, so other types of files are filtered out (even zip, which the BB lists as supporting). Is there another utility that deals with all files. I am a 3D architect, by the way, so I deal with CAD and 3D files (dcd, dwg, dxf, c4d). I am beginning to believe I am the very first architect to own a BB, since there seems to be no support for these type of files.

The help said that attachments can be automatically saved but didn't explain how. I've searched and searched but can't find how to do this. Anyone ever tried adding a media extension to a file (eg: cad_filename.dcd to cad_filename.dcd.jpg) emailing it to a BB and the receiver save it (without viewing), transferring it, via Media Manager, to another computer where the bogus extension will be removed.

Thanks in advance for any help (otherwise my precious BB gets dumped),

Larry
    10-07-08 07:24 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry Larry.

The first consideration, you will need a media card to enable the transfer to your computer. You computer does not see your device memory.

I have just run a test using a IPD file, BlackBerry backup. The procedure is not at all intuitive.

Position the cursor on the attachment at the bottom of the message. Press Menu / Download Attachment. A dialogue box with a warning message will appear, select the Yes button. A second dialogue box will appear with a Download button.

A window with the media card directory structure will appear. Navigate to a selected directory or use the root directory. Press Menu / Select Here.

The download will commence.

To move the file, connect it to your computer and use Windows File Manager to copy it to the final destination.

10-07-08 10:36 AM
    **Edit: I was composing the following when the reply to my first post was made. Thanks for the assistance, Reed. Getting my hands on a media card was my next step.***

Oops, did I make a boo-boo or what. Sorry guys, I see now that this Newbie forum is like where I stand up and introduce myself to the community. Well, to me 'Newbie' means 'dummy' and that means I have lots to learn so here I came begging for help.

Well, please excuse me for that and here's my story:

I'm from the Bahamas and here we are using the GSM system as well as the old TDMA system, which I used because it was solid and reliable, where ever I went. My local carrier, BTC, is finally dumping the TDMA system and is offering some very good deals to those who are forced to switch over to GSM. I had heard a lot about the BlackBerry so I checked it out and was attracted by the possibility of connecting my laptop to it and being able to up- and download attachments where ever I was without having to look for a wireless hot spot. I am on the road a lot, between meetings or in some remote location. Many times I was either late for a meeting because I had to email something important or the email had to wait until I got back, which could be many hours later. My emails usually contain attachments of large CAD files.

So I got the BB (just last Saturday) and I must say, it was very easy to figure out. That menu button does wonders, the track ball is amazingly accurate (wish there were Home and End keys, though), the help systems are very good (although going back to find something you saw earlier may be tricky), receiving and responding to emails instantly is amazing, etc., etc. My only disappointment, and this is a big one, is the fact that I can't download any attachment filetype and transfer it directly to my laptop for viewing. I am able to trick the system into uploading any file type attachment, but the receiver would have to be told what to do to open it on their computer. I am aware of the tethered modem ability but I haven't gotten that to work so far.

So here's hoping someone can help me out and I become a long time, happy member of this BlackBerry community.

Larry
    Last edited by Lar5000; 10-07-08 at 10:54 AM.
    10-07-08 10:48 AM
    You are in the right place, there are plenty of folks that will see and respond here.

The procedure works fine with moderate sized files, but I understand there are maximim file size limits for attachments. That could be a problem for a CAD file over a couple Mb.

I belive that is a carrier dependent limitation and would apply to email directly to the device and email to a tethered computer.
    10-07-08 11:09 AM

Position the cursor on the attachment at the bottom of the message. Press Menu / Download Attachment. A dialogue box with a warning message will appear, select the Yes button. A second dialogue box will appear with a Download button.

Well, I got a 4G media card and followed your advice. I am able to attach any type of file to my emails but I still am unable to download the CAD files. What's worse, I now see that the BlackBerry 8300 Curve doesn't seem to download anything, not even the files it is able to display. There is no 'download attachment' available anywhere in the vast menu system, only 'open attachment' which only displays it. There is a 'save' but it only 'marks' the email as being saved.

This is a major bummer for me. What's the use of emailing if you can't access attachments.

Larry
    10-09-08 09:07 AM
    Take a look at MediaPop. It is mainly used to download media files to your SDcard. You can add file types so that it can dowload any file you wish. Works great for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-08 10:53 AM
    I have only tried to download and save media files and have had no problems. I'm having someone send me a file to play with. In the meantime, and I don't know if this is will help, but when I plug into a computer and turn mass storage mode on, I am able to drag and drop many different types of files onto the BlackBerry's media card and transport them between computers. But I've really only opened word docs and media files with my Curve.

10-09-08 11:02 AM
    I was playing around with some email attachments. From the email, I'm able to open a word doc, it's supported with docs to go. When I highlighted it and pressed the menu key, I was given the option to open or download (make sure you scroll down to see all of the menu options), it opened just fine. I then selected download. My berry warned me that I wouldn't be able to view it after I downloaded it. I went ahead and downloaded it. When I went to find the downloaded file, I opened my media card -- clicked the media icon, then I pushed the menu key and selected explore. The file was there on the first page. That is the only place I could see that file. And of course it wouldn't open from the media card. From that location, I was able to email the doc file. I didn't try, but I think if you plug into your PC, you'll be able to drag it off the card and drop it into a folder on your PC. I think this will work with most files you save to your card from an email.

When you save an email, it should save to your saved folder. It will be on your desktop and different from your other email folders. Hope this info helps. The only other thing is I'm sure those cad files are simply too large for you to even try to open on a BlackBerry.

Last edited by exelant; 10-09-08 at 11:34 AM.
    10-09-08 11:30 AM
    You might also check out the latest version of operamini. I've been able to download files with that to my 8703e.
    10-09-08 02:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD