with the storm coming out these posts are most likely a dime a dozen, but i too am considering the switch.

I would have made the switch witout thinking a couple months ago but then i found opera mini and skyfire. skyfire is amazinjng, unfortunately its not available for blackberry and i hear the bb browser leaves much to be desired. true?

anyways my main question, can i make it so that my new bb(storm) will be completely silent, no alerts/rings/alarms but if a specific contact calls it rings full force?? kind of like to oiny allow family to ring while sleeping? this is a must have/deal breaker for me. i work nights and need to mute my cell in the mornings cause i get hundreds of bs calls, but my family could have an emergency, etc.

2nd, i use exchange server 2003, what is the extent of 3rd party software i will need? i found something on bb website that was free for 1 cal or something but didnt understand the detals.

thanks
    11-18-08 08:30 AM
    Welcome to Crack!

Browsers... you can d/l Opera for the Blackberry as well. IMO, all previous BBs prior to my Bold is installed and used Opera. I like the new BB browser so much, Opera has not even been a thought. I imagine I would have the same thoughts with the Storm.

Profiles... nothing extra needed and you are able to do this. You can put it on silent and have "exceptions" for your friends and family that you would like it to ring for.

Exchange... If you are using exchange, what 3rd party software are you looking for? To not have to pay the $45/mo and pay $30? If so, try emoze, but I'm not sure how well it works. I'm not sure if it works for the BB as I don't see any support for it, but if you found something that says "compatible" with BBs, then give it a try.
    11-18-08 08:43 AM
    Welcome to Crack!

Exchange... If you are using exchange, what 3rd party software are you looking for? To not have to pay the $45/mo and pay $30? If so, try , but I'm not sure how well it works. I'm not sure if it works for the BB as I don't see any support for it, but if you found something that says "compatible" with BBs, then give it a try.

Thanks for the info, that is great about the profiles.

Regarding exchange, i meant 3rd party software on my exhcange server. I am the exchange server admin and COULD install software to make BB work, but i hate this idea so much its kept me from getting a blackberry. I was reading that they have a free version of BES whre you get like 1 CAL and its like a lite version or something for small companies.

This is the one reason and one reason only now that i am not sure about getting the storm.
    11-18-08 06:50 PM

Oh wow. Very unsure about this. I would contact verizon and speak to their data support.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-08 07:07 PM

Oh wow. Very unsure about this. I would contact verizon and speak to their data support.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

i dont think its a carrier related issue, i am pretty sure it is a platform/os issue/question.

regarding the profile thing, i can turn off all tones including low battery alerts, text message alerts, email alerts, and only have the specific people ring me?

that wuld be so great, i need 3rd party software for it on winmo.
    11-18-08 07:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD