Hey guys. I have been lusting over my friends' Blackberries for years, and finally, last week, made the decision to get the Pearl 8130. I absolutely love it!
    My only problem so far is that I am in a memory crunch. Even after I picked up a 4gb memory card the other day, my SMS messages and Call log keep getting deleted.
    How do I utilize the memory card in order to keep this from happening? Is there any way to direct installed apps or incoming messages onto the memory card?

- Thanks!
    Last edited by rmiller07; 11-23-08 at 10:06 PM.
    11-23-08 10:01 PM
    Any time "File Free" drops below 12 000 000 bytes, the phone will start deleting call logs and text messages without warning to free up memory. Text messages may be deleted as soon as they arrive, before you have had time to read them.

A battery pull recovers memory and will alleviate the problem temporarily. The solution is to remove the stuff you don't need (the sample video, wallpaper, themes, other languages, brickbreaker, etc.) from the device's memory. The following procedure, originally written by Forums Moderator Reed McLay will guide you:

How to Increase BlackBerry's File free memory

Also, if you have a Media Card, be sure to put pictures, videos, music, and ringtones on it, not in your device's memory. Keep in mind that Media Card memory is not device memory. You have to keep your device memory above 12 000 000 bytes, regardless of the capacity of your Media Card or how much free space it has. Finally, you can't at this time run programs from a Media Card. Programs have to be installed in and executed in device memory.
    11-23-08 10:12 PM
    Congratulations on your purchase and welcome aboard!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-08 10:16 PM
    11-24-08 04:47 PM
    Welcome to CB!

Delete any apps you don't need, and be sure to close apps appropriately by choosing Close and not Escape. It will help prevent apps from running in the background.
    11-24-08 11:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD