Hi guys! To introduce myself, I'm a VZW customer and will be ordering my Curve in 2 weeks. I've started looking around and trying to learn things but if anyone could prepare me with tips and tricks and applications that I should download on Day 1, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
    09-12-09 08:56 AM
    First try to remmember that you must configure your bb, that is easy that opens alone, then now is more easy install the appworld, BlackBerry App World there you can see lots of free apps that you can choose, perhaps that could be something, then in the box you will have all the instruction to configure your email an more

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-09 09:03 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

The best starting place is the series of BlackBerry 101 Lectures. You will find them under the link for BlackBerry Help at the top of the page.

When questions come up, this is the place to discuss them and get a variaty of opinions.
    09-12-09 09:03 AM
    Yeap, the 101 lecture series is a great resource. Welcome to CrackBerry

09-12-09 09:14 AM
    You really want a curve, I think you would be better off with the new tour, faster, thinner, better looking, better camera and a whole more

09-12-09 09:36 AM
    There is nothing wrong at all with your choice of the Curve. They are stable, reliable, and the smartphone of choice for many who are on a limited budget.

They don't have the nicer screen, memory, or the extra capability of the Tour, true, but they are very effective, and much easier to repair and customize than the Tour is, currently.

Enjoy the Curve, it is a nice way to start the 'addiction'!

09-12-09 09:43 AM
    Welcome to the BB world and congrats on your 1st BB...
    09-12-09 09:48 AM
    A wise choice to start. Welcome to the family.

09-12-09 02:11 PM
    I've been using the curve for a year now and really like it. Start off by getting a memory card and then delete all the stuff your not going to use.Googles maps help me alot when traveling (plus it's free).

09-12-09 02:19 PM
    Another note, its is very wise to get into a groove of memory cleaning management procedure for your 8330 to run smoothly and achieve peak performance out of it.

May I recommend when you read this process over and decide if you want to try it out or not, its all up to you. It has made my 8330 run so much quicker. IMHO!

I will advise you to enable your native memory cleaner. Follow these steps, always press ALT+left shift+H to see how much file free you have, make sure you have more then 12MB or 12,000,000MB.

1-When your done with the Browser, goto options then goto cache operations, press clear history and make sure you delete everything then close the browser.

2-At homescreen, hold and press ALT+LGLG, then press the BB button, press clear log, then close it.

3-Goto options, then goto security, then select memory cleaning, then enable it, then scroll down to clean when idle/idle timeout select 1 minute, then scroll down to show on homescreen, then save, then close out of options.

4-Then goto/find the memory cleaning icon, then select it then after it is done do a battery pull.

I advise doing this daily/weekly, also every time you do a battery pull you will have to re enable the memory cleaner.

Also deleting all your SMS/MMS and email/other messages is advised on a daily/weekly basis!.

Also make sure you close all Apps that you aren't using, if need be goto options, then goto advance, then goto applications and look for the apps you don't have use for anymore and delete them.

Also if your browser gets laggy/times out. Switch to your homescreen then hold and press ALT+LGLG and clear event log, then switch back to browser and refresh it by pressing (R)

For peak performance follow this process on a daily/weekly basis for your Blackberry Curve 8330.

*(Enabling your native Memory Cleaner will slow your Lock/Unlock access screen)*

Thnx, �Tripster�

09-12-09 02:30 PM
    Wow, thanks for the outpour of replies guys! Another question I have is protecting my BB. I've been told that BBs are very fragile and should be treated more carefully than a normal phone. With that in mind, I've seen tons of cases and screen protectors in the Crackberry store, are there any you recommend in particular and why?
    09-12-09 08:45 PM
    YOU WILL LOVE YOUR CURVE!

I love mine. Sometimes I wish I could get the tour buuut then I remember how much I love Dulce
    09-12-09 09:13 PM
    You can get a silicone skin from Ebay for as cheap as $1.83 (free ship). As far as screen protectors go, I've tried both the Zagg and Clarivue. Zaggs are about $24 (Bestbuy) and IMO appeared really rippled on the phone. The Clarivue 2 for $11 (free ship - Clarivue.com) are crystal clear and CHEAP. Just my opinion. I've heard an equal amount of people on here say that Zagg is the better of the two.
    09-12-09 09:17 PM
    You can get a silicone skin from Ebay for as cheap as $1.83 (free ship). As far as screen protectors go, I've tried both the Zagg and Clarivue. Zaggs are about $24 (Bestbuy) and IMO appeared really rippled on the phone. The Clarivue 2 for $11 (free ship - Clarivue.com) are crystal clear and CHEAP. Just my opinion. I've heard an equal amount of people on here say that Zagg is the better of the two.
    Best Skins Ever is cheaper and has a total body protection skin as well as a screen protector skin. Same material and works great. I love mine.
    09-12-09 10:33 PM
    OK, I will look into this. In addition, any must have apps/games/themes? I'm overwhelmed by all the threads/files/you name it on here and I was hoping I could get some input from you "addicts" :P
    09-13-09 10:37 AM
    BerryBuzz is a fantastic app. And as you're with Verizon, if you want to send really long texts, you might want to look into Beyond160. Both can be found in the CrackBerry store.

For a full list of applications you can download straight from your phone, check this out: http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/bla...a-apps-236714/

I personally recommend Opera Mini (beta 5 just came out and it has tabbed browsing), UberTwitter, Pandora, MaraTick, Poynt and Viigo.

Welcome to the addiction, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions or anything.
    09-18-09 03:38 AM
    Hi guys! To introduce myself, I'm a VZW customer and will be ordering my Curve in 2 weeks. I've started looking around and trying to learn things but if anyone could prepare me with tips and tricks and applications that I should download on Day 1, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
    I would recommend that you buy at a corporate store if you can... I know that you have to wait a lil while for the rebate but they will help you out and are required to set up your email with you and have phonebook transfer machines.

Honestly a requirement for you to own a curve is that you buy a storage card of any size as photos can be up to half a mb and with the limited storage capacity you could easily kill the storage and have tons of problems quickly

I would recommend that you do skydeck for managing your contacts and NOT googlesync since google sync makes it impossible for you to delete contacts.

page once makes a nice app for checking your minutes called mobile minutes tracker. It will tell you your billing cycle with a bar, your minutes, and your billing info.

Most VZW reps will run setup wizard for you which will remove some of the extra languages for you but I would recommend rerunning the app because it has some tips in it.

I would also recommend that you do a tour, storm, or pearl flip as they are much newer devices... also the tour and storm have storage cards in them.

Some other sweet apps are BBScanner, BerryUnitConverter, edocrab, itookthisonmyphone, level, opera mini 5 beta, patern lock (for storm), quickpull, skydeck, songid, vznavigator, weatherbug for storm or weather eye for anything else, visual voicemail, youmail, and youtube.

Visual Voicemail is super awesome but i dont think its available on the curve... its only 2.99 and dosnt use any of your minutes... standard voicemail uses your minutes when you call into it and youmail uses TONS AND TONS AND TONS OF MINUTES... basically every single phone call that you do not answer is atleast 1 minute, if they leave a voicemail then several minutes...

HAVE FUN
    HAVE FUN
    HAVE FUN

Also allways remember RIM devices are very high quality most issues that you have with the phone are problems caused by..... YOU so dont try to get your phone swapped out try reading... and make sure NO media is stored to the phone EVER!!!
    09-18-09 03:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD