Hello Crackberry!

I know I'm a noob here, but I am fairly well versed with rooting Android and hacking a few other platforms, I have just never used a blackberry. That being said my dad loves it. He recently wanted to reduce the his contract and so because of that didnt get a blackberry, imho i think the man at the shop talked him into a mistake - a Nokia Symbian phone. My dad hates it. He has requested if I could figure out how to change the SIM into his old phone. This is what I am trying to do.

So Its still the same UK Provider, and so the SIM can just be swapped. However he would still like to receive his email (Hotmail but he also has Gmail, so I can setup a forward service from hotmail to Gmail - like I do for myself) and do a rare Google search, make calls and texts. That is all he wants. No other apps, just Email and the browser. Just to make this clearer, HE DOES NOT HAVE A BLACKBERRY DATA PLAN, NOR CAN I GET ACCESS TO ONE. His current normal data plan is for 250mb per month, which I'm sure for email and the one Google per month he does, is TONS (he has wifi at home too)

Here's what I've got so far:
    1) Update the software. (might be optional, but i suppose it might be a good idea)
    2) Install Opera Mini Browser and Gmail
    3) Go through the setting and disable push browsing and other BIS related features THEN setup Gmail and Opera as defaults.
    4) Edit the APNs (if still set to BIS on new SIM card)

Does that sound right? Well I'm having problems doing it.

Q1) I cannot find a UK blackberry update for the 8520 Curve. Also a tutorial would help, but is not essential.
    Q2) Without BIS very few people talk about how to do this, and I have yet to see a tutorial on it. If a link could be provided to a tutorial that would be perfect, if not any help would be great. I know I have to download the app then convert it then install it... but HOW?
    Q3) Seems ok - but is there something I NEED to disable? or something i might normally miss? I guess i can figure that 1 out...
    Q4) I think i can do that myself, but is there one you recommend?

I have the blackberry on me now - I have not started messing with it other than looking through the settings. I have got it onto WIFI and disabled Push browsing, the browser now works just fine. its fast too.

Have I missed something??

Any and ALL help will be greatly appreciated

Mattyyey
    01-24-12 01:16 PM
    Your dad doesn't have a blackberry data plan so all you need to do is put the sim card in and the phone won't register with BIS because there is no blackberry plan active just normal internet so don't worry.

Then all you need to do is google 'uk network apn list' exactly and find the apn setting for your network and go to settings and I can't remember where exactly but find the bit where you enter apn settings into blackberry and then the internet will start to work guranteed. No extra charges. Let me know how you get on.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-24-12 01:33 PM
    well thats great however it doesnt solve my problem of getting his email..... I'm at a loss of getting the lastest Gmail app on his phone without BIS.... (Q2)
    01-24-12 02:07 PM
    With a little more searchin I have now found zip files for Gmail (a few versions) and Gmaps.... just about to try installing them.... ty anyway...
    01-24-12 03:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD