So I'd like to ask whether or not its ok to leave my BB plugged in all night and charging even if its already at 100% until I go to work in the morning?

I think I killed the battery life on my last phone b/c I use to leave it plugged in all the time.

Let me know your suggestions, on calibrating it every so often, etc.

Thanks!
    07-15-07 11:45 PM
    I leave mine plugged in all night and was under the impression that it wouldn't do any harm to the battery. Let's see what others have to say on the topic.
    07-16-07 12:13 AM
    I'm sure the type of battery used with BlackBerry's don't suffer from memory loss. I need someone else to confirm this...
    07-16-07 07:34 AM
    I was told by an employee of RIM that if you leave the battery charging all night long every night, over time it will shorten the life of the battery and you will down the road have to replace it sooner than if you didn't. A few times is okay but not every night. That's the info I was given.

Gia
    07-16-07 09:20 AM
    When i leave mine plugged in at 100% it just stops charging the little lightning bolt just goes away.
    07-16-07 10:26 AM
    Lithium ion batteries suffer from a limited number of charging cycles. Unlike nickle metal hydride, this is not a memory issue that dictates discharging the battery and fully recharging. The issue is related to the number of charging cycles, that is, how many times you plug in the charger. Best to allow the phone to nearly deplete the battery. If you charge it every other day, you effectively double the battery life when compared to charging it each evening. Your particular use, however, may dictate that you charge each evening, in which case you will simply have to purchase a new battery sooner than others.

When plugged in all night, you may actually subject the phone to multiple charging cycles. Once the voltage reaches the upper threshold, the charging circuit turns off. However, over several hours the voltage will diminish, triggering the charging circuit to once again charge the battery. This constitutes another charging cycle.

Pi Variables
    07-17-07 01:00 AM
    Thank you Pi Variables for the detailed explanation. That was quite interesting! Much appreciated.

Gia
    07-17-07 07:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD