Hey guys I just got this phone not even two months ago and recently my phone battery has been dying quick, Like i wont even touch it, and ill check the phone in like 4 hrs its got just about 50% left on the battery after a full charge, without usage. about a week ago I was getting like 2 days of use from a full charge. Any ideas? Faulty battery maybe?
    10-14-08 01:23 PM
    Are you leaving an app running that frequently accesses the internet? Like Google Maps, or Facebook or some other social networking software? Alt-Esc will show you what's running. 5 apps always run and can't be closed: Home Screen, Messenger, Browser, Call Log, and Messages. Anything else that's running you need to close and not leave running if you aren't using it.
    10-14-08 01:46 PM
    Check the settings for Wi-Fi as well. If you have it on and it is finding a Wi-Fi network it's draining the battery. If you aren't using the Wi-Fi, turn it off.
    10-14-08 01:50 PM
    This might be a good Blackberry 101 lesson.
    10-14-08 01:59 PM
    JeffH-

thanks for this response post! i was having the same problem for WEEKS now whereas I could actually watch my battery get drained throughout the day...but last night, I took deleted Facebook and now just use the mobile site...and I make sure all my IM sites are disconnected--all before I was auto-connecting/auto-signing on--now my battery is @ 85%...thanks!
    10-14-08 02:27 PM
    i agree w/ fatboy97...put this info in 101 for newbies like myself.
    10-14-08 02:36 PM
    dannette-

who knew that leaving the wifi on that that would drain the battery...so today i went w/ just leaving wifi off for 4 hours and running it for 4 hours and still @ 85% battery...yeah! thanks for all the tips to us newbies!
    10-14-08 02:39 PM
    thank you for the help, lets see how it works for me, i did have a few apps and wifi on while not using them
    10-14-08 03:01 PM
    Still dying insanely fast for me ... Also a few times i keep getting The loading clock constantly, itll show for 5 secs disapear come back and just do this all day unless I take the battery out, and restart it. I even deleted quite a few apps to see if that would help, nothing has yet. Maybe I got a faulty Phone or battery I dunno.
    10-15-08 02:54 PM
    How much free memory do you have? Check under options, status.
    10-15-08 02:59 PM
    all i see is file free in status and it says 16608420 bytes
    10-15-08 03:03 PM
    that's pretty low still. the blackberry will start deleting call logs and old messages around 14 or 15. your bb needs at least 12 to operate, I would keep cleaning it out. Although, your memory doesn't have much to do with battery life. I you checked open apps as jeff suggested and found none it could be a faulty batt. how long have you had the bb?
    10-15-08 03:09 PM
    not even 2 months yet, Ive deleted tons of apps so I don't think that's the problem I basically got rid of everything unless I use it. Sucks, Cars and cell phones are 2 things I NEVER have luck with haha.
    10-15-08 03:12 PM
    If nothing is running, then it may be just a bad battery. Take it by a full service Tmo store and ask them to check it. I assume your not talking on it for 5 or 6 hours straight
    10-15-08 03:16 PM
    Nope, Its actually rare I use my fone, Ill send like 25 text a day, I use around 50 Mins a month... Actually I was using my phone alot the past few weeks, and it was lasting for 2 days on one charge, now I rarely touch it and the battery is just dying... I'm definitly going by t-mobile tomorrow. What sucks is I just purchased an unlock code for this phone, I hope its the battery and not the phone because if so I'm Out another 30$ from the unlock code.
    10-15-08 03:21 PM
    9 times out of 10 that's a battery issue. If it was a phone issue, it would be a charging port issue in which case the device wouldn't get a full charge at all.
    10-15-08 03:37 PM
    I just got the 8330 and my battery seems to not be that great. I have closed all IM apps (besides BB messneger). I have nothing open besides the 5 apps that are always open, I haven't used google maps to locate me, I am limiting my internet usage (been on for maybe 5 mins since the last change). The only thing using the net is prob checking for emails. I used maybe no more than 5 mins in calls. I am already at 75% battery. It is looking like I need to charge daily if I want to last otherwise it seems like it will only last 1.5 days. Also I wanted to try and totally kill my battery but once I get too low I can't make calls/send msgs/browse the web/use video camera or flash on my camera. How do you kill the battery totally in this situation? Any comments/suggestions would be great. Thank you in advance.
    10-15-08 03:45 PM
    ...How do you kill the battery totally in this situation? Any comments/suggestions would be great. Thank you in advance.
    You should never intentionally kill your battery totally. Li-Ion batteries don't suffer from memory effects and in fact last longer if they are not fully discharged. Your phone shuts down when the battery drops below a certain level to prevent that damage. Charging your phone overnight every night will not hurt it.
    10-15-08 03:51 PM
    You should never intentionally kill your battery totally. Li-Ion batteries don't suffer from memory effects and in fact last longer if they are not fully discharged. Your phone shuts down when the battery drops below a certain level to prevent that damage. Charging your phone overnight every night will not hurt it.
    Thanks. Ya I knew this the only reason I asked was when I first got my phone as with most you're suppose to fully kill the battery the first time and I couldnt do that so I was wondering if that was the problem or not. Is it not good to fully kill the battery once in a while or is that a myth also?
    10-15-08 07:25 PM
    Don't kill your battery! Sounds like you have a bad battery if it really dies that fast. I suggest you simply charge your phone on a home charger all night every night, never kill it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-08 07:34 PM
    ...Is it not good to fully kill the battery once in a while ...
    Older technology batteries needed to be fully discharged periodically to maintain their ability to deliver a full charge. Li-Ion batteries don't need that maintenance, and in fact are harmed by it. If you fully discharge one, you shorten its life. The phone shuts down to prevent that happening.
    10-15-08 07:50 PM
    Apps kill the battery, especially the Internet (even if you're not using it).

Make sure you only have apps you're using on and keep your browser closed unless you're activity using it.
    10-15-08 07:55 PM
    it was a faulty batt it was replaced today at the store i bought it and it is now fine
    10-16-08 05:50 PM
    that happened to my phone too. Took about a month for the battery to go and vz replaced it free.
    10-16-08 06:55 PM
    I have been given the exact opposite advice. The guy from the Verizon store told me:

1. Let the battery drain completely once a month

2. Do not leave the phone plugged into the charger overnight

This is very frustrating. No offense to Jeff because your previous advice in this thread was very helpful, but how does someone suffering for technological idiocy know who to trust?
    03-03-09 10:29 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD