OK, so I got my first BlackBerry device this afternoon. I like it for the most part, but I think I'll have to exchange it (for another Curve.) At any random point (and quite frequently) my Curve turns off the screen, lights up the service indicator in red, and then turns on the screen again with an hourglass that takes way too long before I see the Homescreen again.

Unless there's a menu setting I can use to prevent this, I think my unit is defective. I haven't added any programs, media files or even contacts yet. The only thing I did was to change the display language to Spanish and set the fonts to 12-point.

Did I win yet another trip to the store to exchange my new BlackBerry?
    09-17-08 07:23 PM
    The unit is defective. This is not your problem. Take it back to the store and make them give you a new one.
    09-17-08 07:25 PM
    Run back to the store
    09-17-08 08:14 PM
    Suspecting of the two changes I made before the first reboot, I decided to revert them one by one. So I dropped the font size back to the default (which I can barely see), and kept using the Curve; it still rebooted.

I bumped the font size back to 12-point and then set the device language back to English. I ran the device for a while without a spontaneous reboot. Then I decided to install the desktop software, synchronize my Outlook contacts, calendar, tasks and notes, and also populate the device with my ringtones and some music. Still no reboots, even when I then decided to assign custom ringtones to various contacts.

So, is setting the device to Spanish the culprit of the spontaneous reboots? A bug that most users wouldn't notice? I don't know. I set the device back to Spanish and I've been running it for a while, making calls, rearranging application icons and composing emails. No reboots so far. I even full powered-off the device a couple of times and still no reboots.

For the next couple of days, my Curve will be under observation...
    09-17-08 11:10 PM
    OK, here's an update. I did get 2 reboots yesterday but that's way less than those I got on Wednesday. I then did a device wipe so I could return the phone for an exchange and something hit me. I decided to re-populate the device with my stuff and my settings, and so far *knocks on wood* not a single reboot.

Now, this kind of behavior where out-of-box software is unstable at first but gets better after a hard reset, is something I've seen on other Smartphones when they have been upgraded to a new ROM. Since I came late to the Curve party, I don't know what was the original ROM version for T-Mobile's Curve 8320. Mine has version 4.2.2.180, platform 2.5.0.36. Could it be that the Curve got flashed in the factory with a newer ROM before it was shipped to T-Mobile? As far as I can tell the phone is new, the box had the seal intact and the phone looked and smelled like new.

What are your thoughts? I have until next Monday to exchange it at the store if necessary, after Monday, I'd have to do a warranty exchange for a refurb via T-Mobile.
    09-19-08 09:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD