My husband wants to set up his email from work on his blackberry. His email comes from Microsoft Outlook through Microsoft Exchange server for his company. Does he need a password or something from his company or can he just set up the account in new email account?

Sorry for the stupid questions
    03-19-08 09:30 PM
    He should just be able to set it up

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-08 09:32 PM
    There are no stupid questions !

03-19-08 09:36 PM
    hello and welcome to CB
    03-19-08 10:15 PM
    Does he have a BES or a BIS account?

03-19-08 10:28 PM
    He needs to ask his IT dept if he needs to have BES. If so then you need a BES plan for the BB and his IT dept will give him a password to connect.

03-19-08 10:38 PM
    I use BIS and didn't have to do anything other than going to the VZW BIS site and putting in my work email (also run on Microsoft Exchange server).
    03-19-08 10:59 PM
    What they all said.

Welcome NJMom, where are you at in this great state?
    03-19-08 11:01 PM
    My work uses Novell Groupwise for email and can't get the email to forward to my BB, any help would be great
    03-20-08 02:16 AM
    Welcome to CB. Your company may possibly have a password and would be able to assist him in setting it up on the server.
    03-20-08 02:43 AM
    Don't quote me, but I didn't think that users could connect to a Microsoft Exchange-hosted account using the BlackBerry Individual Solution (BIS); as I understand it, Exchange-hosted e-mail accounts MUST connect via a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES)...

Can anyone confirm if this is the case or not?

03-20-08 03:57 AM
    Welcome to CB NJMom
    03-20-08 06:38 AM
    Welcome to CB
    03-20-08 06:50 AM
    Welcome!!! =]
    03-20-08 08:17 AM
    Hey,
    Don't need BES for Exchange, just my user name and password, in my case, same one's I use for my network connection at the office.

*sorry..I quoted you*

Don't quote me, but I didn't think that users could connect to a Microsoft Exchange-hosted account using the BlackBerry Individual Solution (BIS); as I understand it, Exchange-hosted e-mail accounts MUST connect via a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES)...

Can anyone confirm if this is the case or not?

03-20-08 08:21 AM
    You can connect to Outlook exchange through BIS servers. Set up internet mail, email accounts, add an email account, address and password (it will say unable to configure-that's okay), click on "I will provide the settings to add this email then scroll down to next, click Outlook Exchange, Click I can access account through web browser, enter web address, user name (say way you login at work), password, email address, and under mailbox name type in your user name again (same way you type it at work). Click next and you should be good to go.
    03-20-08 08:58 AM
    I'm in Morris County
    03-20-08 04:16 PM
    Ok all another stupid question. What is BES and BIS? When I set up hubby's email address I just went into bb and put "I want to add an email address" then went through the motions.

Can you help me tell the difference?

Thanks
    03-20-08 04:18 PM
    Ok all another stupid question. What is BES and BIS? When I set up hubby's email address I just went into bb and put "I want to add an email address" then went through the motions.

Can you help me tell the difference?

Thanks
    The BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) and BIS (Blackberry Internet Server) is the settings that come with the CD to install your desktop manager. If the company gave you the phone then most likely it will be set to BES which usually carries a password that the company has to give you. If you bought the phone then choose BIS so you can add your own emails and download your own applications. For the most part there are more restrictions with BES since it deals with the company more.

Hope this helps
    03-21-08 08:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD