i'm a long time PC hardware tech, retired now...i used to fry 486's on a regular basis, i just couldn't leave those jumpers alone.

i'm also a mobile customer for some time, but "mobile" only meant "phone" for years.

then i got to travelling on my motorized-bicycle, and used a messaging phone with data to keep my personal site & forum up to date...it was more fun (and easier) than i'd expected it would be.

Attachment 100072

recently, a series of customer-service "mishaps" led me to a smartphone upgrade & i accidentally wound up being "stuck" buying the new Torch2...and i couldn't be happier now that all the screw-ups occurred.

of course i had to research after-the-fact to find out what i had in my hands, but i have fallen in love with my blackberry...this isn't a phone, it's a computer that can make phone calls. i am much impressed.

i've always liked technical forums...but i'm telling you right now, i DO NOT like either AT&T's or BB's "support" forums. if a company's gonna set one up, then the company outta be there to provide support, not just censor and delete.

so here i am, i have a few questions & will try to search out the answers before stomping around demanding attention. however, i'm still so way lost (about terms & slang specific to BB's) that i'm not sure what's relevant to my situation...instead of answers here, links to appropriate threads would be appreciated.

i am on the AT&T 4GB/Tethering Plan & am having one heck of a time keeping real-time tabs on my (real) data usage. the current arrangement seems exploitive & at&t is being no help.

i am also interested in learning if upgrading to the OS that allows Hotspot is doable.

and i need to know how to use the basic headset that's included in the box, meaning i need to know HOW it's supposed to work so i know if it IS working.

thanks in advance for any pointers in the right direction
    Last edited by augidog; 01-06-12 at 11:14 PM.
    01-06-12 11:10 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!

I think you'll fit right in here

For data tracking, there's a few apps out there. Here's one I found worked well:

e-office mobile - Mobile Data Alerter

The upgrade is certainly doable. There should be some instructions on the thread. If not, I can always point you in the right direction.

The wired headset should be pretty straightforward, and instructions included. What issue are you having?
    augidog likes this.
    01-06-12 11:56 PM
    Welcome to the Crack(Berry)!!!
    The headset: Long press initiates voice command. Quick click to answer incoming call. Long press to end call. Quick click to mute call. Quick click to pause/unpause media.

~Sent via Carrier Pigeon~
    augidog likes this.
    01-07-12 01:30 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry forums and to the 9810. That is one very fine device you have in your hands.

The 7.1 upgrade is doable. http://forums.crackberry.com/hybrid-...ilable-678442/ as a hybrid but is not for everyone. Friends have the OS loaded and working but the process was too much for me. To each his.

May be worth a try but be sure to read the threads first. And A$$ will want more money for a tethering plan if you use the hotspot feature.
    augidog likes this.
    01-07-12 05:35 AM
    thanks folks, for the welcome, and for the real answers real fast!

BigBadWulf: i swear, i've never found any instructions for the headset. no issues i know of, i just needed to know what the button does and how. i'm going after that data counter as soon as my billing recycles.

maxiang: thank you for the headset basics, that's exactly what i needed.

sedalia066: so "hotspot" = "tethering"...ok then...i'm tethered now because i'm inside for the winter and using a desktop. i intend to drop tethering when i hit the road, so i guess i won't be able to hotspot, even if i did the upgrade. so no upgrade...

unless, of course, i become wildly addicted and just can't leave well enough alone

cya's 'round the board
    Last edited by augidog; 01-07-12 at 10:43 AM.
    sedalia066 likes this.
    01-07-12 10:26 AM
    first, i've learned this is one fine forum.

second, some of y'all are really into this...the device-specific areas, well, let's just say "get help, & soon"...hehe, really, i think i'll explore some gearheading with my 9810 too, but slow is the key for me...since my device and os are on the edge, & i'm way new, i'm making no moves for quite a while. mostly i'll look for established updates and i'll stay a step or two behind & let the gurus fry their phones (or whatever happens to phones) and eventually reap the benefits of their experience.

third, i'm envisioning the (potential) value of the carrier-specific areas, but i think the membership so far underestimates that potential. i'm gonna get active in the ATT area, organized consumer-advocacy can sometimes help a company see things in a different light, if it can be convinced to come to the table & work things out. i like ATT's technology enough to wanna want to stay with them.

it becomes noticable sooner or later anyway, but i'm a little thin-skinned & i have a way with the words when poked at...so i'll speak up when i'm not sure how to interpret something. that doesn't mean i'm looking for trouble, it means i'm looking to avoid it.

ok then, you seem like a decent buncha folks and the group does a fine job of staying on-topic in the areas that matter, and that will help me when i go to learnin' what's up with my torch, so thanks to all the posters who put this stuff here for me to find
    01-10-12 11:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD