A reintroduction and back-story.
    I was a Blackberry user and C/B poster for a couple of years until I bought my first Android phone, the Google Nexus, in 2010. Since then I have had 4 Android phones with my present phone being the Note2. All the while I kept my eye on new Blackberry phone offerings. I hate typing on VKB, missing the keyboards of the BB, however I didn't want to give up the bigger screens of my Android phones. I have often told people that the best phones for what they are designed to do are BBs. In short I missed my BBs. All this is going to change with the coming of Passport. When I saw that phone I genuinely felt the first true excitement I have had over any phone. That is going to be my next phone. I can't wait.
    Now for the real purpose of this post. I have spent the last couple of weeks following C/B and others BB forums to try to glean any info as to what I will need to do to go from my Android phone to BB. I've been looking for some sort of compendium, a Dummy's Guide to converting to Blackberry from Android. It is like a putting together a giant jigsaw puzzle with the pieces scattered all over. Things like how do I transfer my contacts, do I have to reformat my sd card, etc. Since I did have a BIS account in the past, with a different phone number, can I reactivate it or do I just start a new one? I can't remember the details of the account (such as password) since it has been almost 5 years, if I can reactivate it will my old BB apps re-install?
    Anyway, if anyone can just point me the right direction I can take it from there. I am looking forward, and saving my $$, to get the Passport and enjoying my BB smartphone experience and PKB usage again. Thanks.
    09-21-14 08:55 AM
    Hi. I'm not sure about contacts, pretty sure you can sync them with Gmail, not positive. Depending on your SD cards current format you shouldn't have to if it's fat32. Your BIS account is worthless for BB10 as it doesn't use it. Apps from OS 7 will not work either, if your number is still active you can have the carrier port it.
    Smokeaire likes this.
    09-21-14 09:02 AM
    09-21-14 09:04 AM
    Thanks to both of you for just the advice I'm looking for. I'm looking forward to being a member of the BB family again.
    Actually I am thinking about getting a Q10 (cheaply) to get up and running. I might just wait for Passport though.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-21-14 09:28 AM
    Just be sure that your daily apps in android works well with passport.

Q10
    Smokeaire likes this.
    09-21-14 09:44 AM
    Just be sure that your daily apps in android works well with passport.

Q10
    Klobb,
    Good point. I have been researching that and I think that the apps I use on a daily basis will run fine. I will be keeping my Note2 for home wifi use just in case some Google apps, Chromecast for one, doesn't work on BB.
    09-21-14 09:50 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!

Good luck with the switch, hope everything goes well.
    09-29-14 08:19 PM
    Klobb,
    Good point. I have been researching that and I think that the apps I use on a daily basis will run fine. I will be keeping my Note2 for home wifi use just in case some Google apps, Chromecast for one, doesn't work on BB.
    There is a third party app for chrome cast but it's not fully featured.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    09-29-14 08:31 PM
    A reintroduction and back-story.
    I have often told people that the best phones for what they are designed to do are BBs. In short I missed my BBs. All this is going to change with the coming of Passport.
    Hell and welcome, Am there with you. I waited all along for a big screen device. Presently rocking a Z3 and transiting towards Passport : )
    OS 10.3 can be a very rewarding program and almost all the amazon apps work but as you know they are not true native apps of BB10. With that caveat go ahead and try out the Q10 and see if you like the idea. I can vouch that Z3 is a batteryzilla but abstaining from non BB10 apps seems to be pushing the battery into days and on; If you know your limits and keep reasonable expectations from non BB apps, you are going to be one happy soul in the end.
    Cheers
    09-30-14 02:03 PM