I just switched back to BB after having an LG Revolution/Droid/4G /Verizon for one year. Google’s altering of its privacy policy raised some questions in my mind so I decided to see what BB was up to. I tried out a Bold 9930, felt regret for having left BB, and then proceeded to order the 9930. Why? Well, it ended up having little to do with the privacy policy, but that gave me a window to reconsider the BB device. Here’s why I switched…

Keyboard, keyboard, keyboard – Much less of hitting the wrong key, be it a letter key or a function key. No question about when a key has been depressed. Droid typing was too slow without autocorrect and too frustrating with autocorrect.

One-hand operation – Most of the time my Droid required two hands, one to hold, one to swipe. I can navigate on my 9930 with one hand very well. If I hold the Revolution normally, my thumb barely reaches the top of the screen, and does so awkwardly.

Smaller swipes – The Droid seemed to require exaggerated swipes to navigate around the OS.

Faster menus – The 9930 menu switching seems must faster. I seemed to have to wait a noticeable split second more.

Crisper resolution/nice icons -- The Droid’s icons don’t seem quite as sharp or as “pretty”

Device size – The 9930 is smaller and sleeker, fits more easily in my hand and in my pocket.

I love the 9930 and am eagerly awaiting the BB10/QNX qwerty phone – and even if that disappoints I would be hard pressed to switch from my 9930 to a Droid/iOS phone. My only complaint with 9930 is that the plastic surrounding the track pad occasionally sounds squeaky and feels cheap; maybe the squeaks will go away after some use. I also miss the 4G, but am saving money by not having it.
    Last edited by back2BB; 03-29-12 at 10:42 PM.
    03-29-12 10:40 PM
    Welcome back . I cannot wait to see what the BB10 phones would be like either.
    03-29-12 10:46 PM
    Good points
    and welcome back
    03-29-12 10:56 PM
    Good reasons. I switched back from an Android too. Looks like a lot of us are returning.
    03-29-12 11:14 PM
    Strength in numbers....welcome back. Grab a Playbook and experience bliss!
    03-29-12 11:20 PM
    I just switched back to BB after having an LG Revolution/Droid/4G /Verizon for one year. Google’s altering of its privacy policy raised some questions in my mind so I decided to see what BB was up to. I tried out a Bold 9930, felt regret for having left BB, and then proceeded to order the 9930. Why? Well, it ended up having little to do with the privacy policy, but that gave me a window to reconsider the BB device. Here’s why I switched…

Keyboard, keyboard, keyboard – Much less of hitting the wrong key, be it a letter key or a function key. No question about when a key has been depressed. Droid typing was too slow without autocorrect and too frustrating with autocorrect.

One-hand operation – Most of the time my Droid required two hands, one to hold, one to swipe. I can navigate on my 9930 with one hand very well. If I hold the Revolution normally, my thumb barely reaches the top of the screen, and does so awkwardly.

Smaller swipes – The Droid seemed to require exaggerated swipes to navigate around the OS.

Faster menus – The 9930 menu switching seems must faster. I seemed to have to wait a noticeable split second more.

Crisper resolution/nice icons -- The Droid’s icons don’t seem quite as sharp or as “pretty”

Device size – The 9930 is smaller and sleeker, fits more easily in my hand and in my pocket.

I love the 9930 and am eagerly awaiting the BB10/QNX qwerty phone – and even if that disappoints I would be hard pressed to switch from my 9930 to a Droid/iOS phone. My only complaint with 9930 is that the plastic surrounding the track pad occasionally sounds squeaky and feels cheap; maybe the squeaks will go away after some use. I also miss the 4G, but am saving money by not having it.

The privacy policies doesn't even make me want to switch to another device.

The most creepy one is:

They have the right to make your phone a lifeless brick.

Welcome back!
    Don't go hard on regret

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.342
    03-29-12 11:36 PM
    The 9930 will be my next device.
    03-29-12 11:53 PM
    bb blade will be my next device!
    I regret getting my 9790 as the days grow shorter ... only because I want to get a bb10 device

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    03-29-12 11:56 PM
    good reasons. I switched back from an android too. Looks like a lot of us are returning.
    here-here!
    03-29-12 11:58 PM
    Welcome back..... Always good to hear the view from the otherside of the fence..... Need more of it.... both ways.....
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-30-12 12:01 AM
    The squeaky noise does go away. I had the same issue and now it is gone.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    back2BB likes this.
    03-30-12 12:11 AM
    BB rules! Got my first one just over a month ago. Never looking back!

Glad you are here
    03-30-12 01:01 AM
    I've switched back so many times between iOS, Android, and back to BB. I guess I just prefer BB as a main device, but always tempted to see what the other devices offer. Just waiting on something similar to the Droid Pro but better on Verizon.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-30-12 01:49 AM
    1. Glad to hear that the squeakiness should go a way after a while.

2. I was in Starbucks this morning and intently watched a guy operate his iPhone 4 with two hands. I don't think people realize how "all consuming" it is to have to operate a phone with two hands. It appears difficult to drink coffee and effectively operate your iPhone at the same time! Whereas with a BB, it is much easier to multi-task with your other hand.
    Last edited by back2BB; 04-02-12 at 01:11 PM. Reason: It was too strongly worded, and indeed incorrect to say one cannot use an ipone and drink cofffee at the same time.
    Morty2264 and SnoozerBold like this.
    03-30-12 12:26 PM
    Welcome back. Hope you enjoy your new BB! Don't forget to post in this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...e-home-631658/

Need to fill that baby up!!!
    back2BB likes this.
    03-30-12 12:34 PM
    I won't leave my BB. Ever.

I may buy other devices and I may like them and I may play with them, but my first love are my BBerries.
    llllBULLSEYE likes this.
    03-30-12 01:26 PM
    Androids are powerful devises but seem jittery is the best way I can put it. BB is more polished for use I guess. I've used a razor and it was pretty cool but the size and the UI i thought was not as user friendly. Like you say: one hand with that awesome track pad and key board. BB has made a key board lover out of me.
    03-30-12 01:31 PM
    Good reasons. I was on my Galaxy Nexus for a week because my 9930 was giving me issues. Thankfully, I checked the forums and saw some tips on how to adjust my settings and my Bold has been working great so far. So, I'm back too. You're right. Autocorrect is a pain and there are way too many typos when typing on glass.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-30-12 01:39 PM
    I'll be happy to return to a more powerful BB, myself. I've made a temporary foray into Android, then MLB belatedly supported BlackBerry after I'd made a change to cover my bases, so to speak. I cant say I'm having a terrible time with the typing yet, if anything, it's less of a problem than I anticipated. Correcting typos can be a little tricky, getting the tab positioned properly, but I'm doing OK with it. I've just recently spent enough time to get to post more, but it is different.

The system is definitely not what I'm used to, but I'll have it til at least the end of the baseball season. Then, perhaps, I'll arrange a trade for a 9930 until I can get a 10 device.

Oh, about one handed operations, thats one of the reasons I passed on the newer Galaxy S2 model, size. The Motorola Photon sits in hand very nicely in portrait mode. The shape is similar to the newer Torch, just larger. Also, the screen ismore responsive than some I tried. Just a flick and that screen scrolls.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 03-30-12 at 10:45 PM.
    03-30-12 10:34 PM
    My android Stratosphere.... a slider phone... was ok. I did enjoy the entertainment type activities: youtube, for example.

But in the three months that I had the phone, it was so distinctly more difficult to get things done.

As someone said, the operation of any slab phone requires your total attention and usually both hands. Not only do you have to hit an icon, but you have to keep your eyes on the device to see if your "tap on the icon" actually took hold... and this is a continual process, not just a momentary inconvenience.

My android broke two days ago, so I was forced to go back to my old 9650. Amazing. With this old slug, I am able to do my job far more easily... communication... sending attachments... beautiful.

I am in fear of RIM going the way of HP and Palm

In fairness to Android, if they would keep working on the Droid Pro form factor...I could go that way without regrets.

Unfortunately, the public seems to be "in" to these darn glass phones. If I've got lots of time and patience to fiddle while I'm trying to communicate, fine. So that's the other problem: the public isn't pushing Android or iPhone to offer nice qwerty form factors....so we may never get one.

Back when BB had larger market share, Droid was smart to offer that form factor... but now.... I'm not so sure they care to "steal" any more of the BB market.
    03-31-12 06:55 AM
    bb blade will be my next device!
    I regret getting my 9790 as the days grow shorter ... only because I want to get a bb10 device

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    I have a friend in California who would buy that 9790 off you, I've been on the hunt for a good quality 9790 for her for a few weeks, shipping from the east coast is a killer.

That little device you have there is pretty coveted
    03-31-12 08:02 AM
    As for 1 hand operation, I agree BlackBerry does it best, BUT a skilled iPhone user can pull off 1 handed operation pretty good as well

not nearly as fast as a skilled BlackBerry user, but the device doesn't have to be all encompassing

I can't see how a 4" plus device can be used with 1 hand yet, no one I've seen withone has used it one handed
    03-31-12 08:06 AM
    Good reasons. I switched back from an Android too. Looks like a lot of us are returning.
    I'm back as well....
    Used an HTC Vivid for about 2/3 months. I really loved it.........for most everything.
    It took 1 insane work week for me to come to the conclusion that the things I need my device to do, BB does way better.
    03-31-12 08:22 AM
    My Atrix2 is over 4 inches in screen size and I have no issues with one hand use but ymmv. I was on BlackBerry for years and loved them but the wifi and 3g were so slow for data I could not take it any longer.

When my contract came up there was nothing on the BlackBerry horizon so I jumped. The Google integration is fantastic but everything else does not seem to be so smooth or well connected throughout the OS. I am not fond of having to add a whole host of apps to just do what BlackBerry does right out of the box. Oh and my Atrix2 has issues ending a call. Sigh.

I am ready to come back to BlackBerry but cant do it for a while, maybe the BlackBerry 10 stuff will be solid when I can come back. But for the meantime I can spend time here at crackb and stay up to date with what is going on.

It is nice to see so many getting back to BlackBerry and the reasons for such things. I am looking to experience that joy as well.
    03-31-12 08:32 AM
    Iphones are all-touchscreen, and about the same size as the 9850.

Since apple is having no problems selling "slab" phones, i dont think the form factor is an issue.
    03-31-12 02:38 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD