My fellow BlackBerry users and abusers,

I have a story to tell. This story is about the cruel world we live in. I will format this as a conversation...here we go:

(Customer [me] walks into a Sprint store in Boston MA and goes straight for the BlackBerry rack to get some hands on action with the BB 7 devices)

(Customer approached by Steve [sales employee])

Steve: Hello. Can I help you with anything?
    Customer: I'm just browsing. Checking out the Berries
    Steve: (pointing to the 9930 & 9950) These would be it
    Customer: (*thinking "no ****"*) Yeah I'm having a hard time deciding between the two.
    Which would you suggest?
    Steve: I'd say depends on your preference. Are you into keyboards?
    Customer: No, I'm more of a virtual keyboard, large screen type
    Steve: (*grinning*) Then you should take a look at our selection of Androids, including
    the new Epic 4G. Follow me
    Customer: (*pissed*) No thanks. I'm here for a BlackBerry. Androids suck!

THE END (This was a quick summary of the encounter)

This happened today and ruined the rest of my day. As you can see, even though stores are reporting good BB 7 sales, the representative tried talking me into getting an Android. And I'm 100% sure I'm not the only case (not just in MA, but nationwide). This just ticks me off. Customers looking for their 1st smartphone are talked out of BlackBerries!!!

What are your thoughts and comments?
    09-23-11 11:01 PM
    you told him you were into virtual keybaords. android has a myriad of options available to use as your keyboards. it sounds like he was giving you sound advice and catering to what you said you liked.
    K Bear, Jasy, Rello and 7 others like this.
    09-23-11 11:12 PM
    You said virtual keyboard, large screen type. I can only think of Android phones for that, and the Epic 4G is a suitable candidate for what YOU said.

Oh the sad & horrible truth.. that BB fans live in their dramatic world of being bullied and repressed in the smartphone world.
    09-23-11 11:29 PM
    But the OP also told the sales rep he was looking at the BlackBerrys. Reps should be able to listen at least a little bit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-11 12:10 AM
    you told him you were into virtual keybaords. android has a myriad of options available to use as your keyboards. it sounds like he was giving you sound advice and catering to what you said you liked.
    You said virtual keyboard, large screen type. I can only think of Android phones for that, and the Epic 4G is a suitable candidate for what YOU said.

Oh the sad & horrible truth.. that BB fans live in their dramatic world of being bullied and repressed in the smartphone world.
    The 9850 has a virtual keyboard and a large screen.
    09-24-11 12:14 AM

I have a story to tell. This story is about the cruel world we live in. I will format this as a conversation...here we go:

(Customer [me] walks into a Sprint store in Boston MA and goes straight for the BlackBerry rack to get some hands on action with the BB 7 devices)

Customer: (*thinking "no ****"*) Yeah I'm having a hard time deciding between the two.
    Which would you suggest?
    Steve: (*grinning*) Then you should take a look at our selection of Androids, including

This happened today and ruined the rest of my day. As you can see, even though stores are reporting good BB 7 sales, the representative tried talking me into getting an Android. And I'm 100% sure I'm not the only case (not just in MA, but nationwide). This just ticks me off. Customers looking for their 1st smartphone are talked out of BlackBerries!!!

Congrats on the 9860. Hope you didn't buy it from this *****.
    09-24-11 12:17 AM
    Totally hate this....... Kill him!

09-24-11 12:52 AM
    The sales employee did a good job. You said you're not into keyboards and wished for a larger screen size.
    Just because you're testing BBs he shouldn't inform you about other options which fit your "needs"???

Strange people nowadays...BB fanboys seem to be very sensitive
    09-24-11 02:15 AM
    Steve: (*grinning*) Then you should take a look at our selection of Androids, including the new Epic 4G. Follow me
    What the Steve should have said is:
    Steve... Well if your into "Berries" with virtual keyboards, we have the new Blackberry Torch 9850 (educating the customer) We also have other brands including the new Android Epic 4G that have virtual keyboards as well... (goes for the sale) or would you like to take the Torch 9850 home with you today? (ready to answer customers questions to overcome objectives to sell another cell phone this month)

... and that's how I would have done it!
    09-24-11 02:51 AM
    BlackBerry is no longer a big-name player in the eyes of most consumers. Steve was just trying to show you what they had to offer that fits your needs, instead of getting mad you should have been thankful.
    Chrisy and phonejunky like this.
    09-24-11 04:03 AM
    BlackBerry is no longer a big-name player in the eyes of most consumers. Steve was just trying to show you what they had to offer that fits your needs, instead of getting mad you should have been thankful.
    Doesn't really matter whether or not Blackberry is a big name player or not, this is a classic example where the salesman is NOT listening to what the customer wants. The salesman's only job is to close the deal and get the new contract or contract extension. If the customer is drooling over a BlackBerry, the salesman should do the best at overcoming the customer objections and sell the phone that the customer wants right on the spot!
    recompile likes this.
    09-24-11 04:25 AM
    At least he didn't say "Then you should take a look at our selection of Apple devices"
    09-24-11 05:34 AM

I have a story to tell.
    Awesome! I love a good story! Does it involve ghosts or UFOs? Those are the best!

This story is about the cruel world we live in.
    OHNOES! I'm starting to have a bad feeling about this! Please don't let it be about a puppykiller or something really cruel like that!

This happened today and ruined the rest of my day. As you can see, even though stores are reporting good BB 7 sales, the representative tried talking me into getting an Android.
    SAY... IT... AINT... SO...

I'm still sitting here shaking with anger. Thank god I had this handy:
    Instant No Button! Star Wars funnies FTW!

Doesn't really matter whether or not Blackberry is a big name player or not, this is a classic example where the salesman is NOT listening to what the customer wants. The salesman's only job is to close the deal and get the new contract or contract extension.
    Actually I agree with the others that say he did an excellent job. It's only the worst kind of salesman, that's only thinking about closing the deal. Instead, this guy also had customer satisfaction in mind.

The sad and horrible truth is, that people buying a Blackberry phone or a Playbook are more likely to come back to return it after a week.

(That's what I was told in a handful of stores, when I asked how Playbook sales were doing. Just try and ask salespeople in your nearest Best Buy yourself. )

That costs the store (and often the salesperson) money, so is it any wonder, that they try to push people over to a device and a platform that they're less likely to be unhappy with and return?
    09-24-11 06:04 AM
    I have to agree with both sides of the argument. I've experienced it first hand where the store employee, Verizon in my case, directly and openly downplays BlackBerry, and also, there are probably a hundred posts just since I joined CB earlier this year that have said the same general story.

I agree with the OP that salespeople should not downplay a product on their shelves they are supposed to be selling. That is straight bulls*it. On the other hand, mentioning the words "large screen" does not make me think of either a Torch or an iPhone. Compared to phones like the EVO or Droid X for example, the new Torches aren't to shabby, but I would not call them large with such said phones out there, more like "medium." Not small, but not large.

As I say, its perception I guess.

09-24-11 06:06 AM

Which would you suggest?

IMO, Steve did nothing wrong. Unless you walked into the shop wearing a RIMpire Strikes back shirt or a BlackBerry #1 Fan hat on. A salesperson doesn't know a diehard from an average customer. It is the job of salespeople to listen, educate and give options. Once you are informed of your choices, then you are free to make up your mind. Never in your conversation did Steve say, "Blackberries suck". He was just showing you other options. This is normal in sales.

A good salesperson will show you the pros and cons of the product a consumer is interested in . There is what is also known as the "upsale". The selling of a more feature rich product. How many people go into something with blinders on, only to be back the next day unhappy. Not all salespeople are evil and are really there to educate the consumer. If I were selling smartphones, I wouldn't push my love of BBerries on everone (sorry Kevin ). I would ask, What are your needs? What computer or OS do you use? Do you travel a lot? Touchscreen or physical keyboard? I would show them the pros and cons or their device of choice and perhaps two different ones from other platforms. It's called choice, and it's great that we have it.

Peronally, if you came in wanting a new Blackberry and you got angry because the salesperson did his job, that's on you. When I walked into Verizon looking at the new 9930 that was nestled in the sea of new android devices, I was approched by a saleswoman and was shown the Thunderbolt. Pretty much, I smiled and explained my needs. She smiled back, nodded yes and said "the Blackberry is for you". She even went on and convered (pleasantly) on her experiences with Blackberry, but prefered her iphone. She did however mentioned that the new Bold 9930 was a hot phone and it might bring her back.

I think some folks in general go into shop with their game face on way to much. Conversation is a lost art. I really wouldn't be to hard on someone who is just showing me another option as opposed to shoving it down my throat. Remember, you walked in to them, not the other way around.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    09-24-11 06:57 AM
    I have to agree with the others that when you said virtual keyboard and large screen he was correct in offering Android which has the larger selection. I did not hear you say that he made any negative comment about Blackberry, that would be a whole different conversation. People get too defensive sometimes.
    Chrisy and pantlesspenguin like this.
    09-24-11 07:01 AM
    The 9850 has a virtual keyboard and a large screen.
    Not large compared to the Androids...

09-24-11 07:45 AM
    Let me see if I get this correct. We have a guy (the OP) who's day was ruined because someone suggested an Android phone.

We also have a guy here who said to 'kill" Steve because of it.

Why don't you guys take a Paxil and sleep on it?

09-24-11 07:46 AM
    Not a sad and horrible truth but my experience when I got my playbook was I went in

Me: I want to look at the playbook.
    Sales: We don't have one that is working. Have you looked at the xoom or ipad?
    Me: Yes I have and I don't care for either.
    Sales: Really? Are you sure. They are much better and sell much better.
    Me: Yes really. I don't care for them. Can you get a playbook out so I can use it?
    Sales: I can't see why anyone would want a playbook over the others. Are you sure it is what you want?
    Me: No I don't. Not from here anyway. Thanks for your help. Do you know where Staples or Officemax are?
    09-24-11 08:06 AM
    I guess he could have mentioned the Torch too. When I think of large screen and virtual keyboards I also think of Android phones.

Horrible truth and ruined your day...Little dramatic, but ok.
    K Bear likes this.
    09-24-11 08:14 AM
    Not a sad and horrible truth but my experience when I got my playbook was I went in

Me: I want to look at the playbook.
    Sales: We don't have one that is working. Have you looked at the xoom or ipad?
    Me: Yes I have and I don't care for either.
    Sales: Really? Are you sure. They are much better and sell much better.
    Me: Yes really. I don't care for them. Can you get a playbook out so I can use it?
    Sales: I can't see why anyone would want a playbook over the others. Are you sure it is what you want?
    Me: No I don't. Not from here anyway. Thanks for your help. Do you know where Staples or Officemax are?
    That's more valid. A product being more popular doesn't make it better, unless it's an ipad
    09-24-11 08:18 AM
    Customer says they're looking at BlackBerry's, and the first word out of the sales guy's mouth is Android? Yeah, ok, awesome customer service. That's the problem with these places ... they are not listening to their customers and pushing what they want to push. The customer doesn't want an Android! I don't care how superior YOU think Android is to BlackBerry, that's not what the customer is there for. So don't try to sell them an Android. Would you like to walk into a car dealer with your heart set on a Audi and have some know-it-all sales wonk try to steer you into a BMW because - in his opinion - Audi's suck? I know I'd be heading for another dealer.
    macbodock likes this.
    09-24-11 08:29 AM
    I'm open minded enough to look at other suggested items, yes. Sure, why not. Choice is good. Comparing is good. I don't mind going into a store looking for something specific and being informed about alternatives. Heck, they may be a better fit. In the end, I decide. But no harm looking at it all. I actually did do that when I bought a car. I had my mind set on something specific, and left with something different.

BLackBerry users seem to have this abused and forgotten thing going on lately.
    K Bear likes this.
    09-24-11 08:38 AM
    When I got my torch in March the guy tried to talk me out of it. Something about web browsing not as good, that I wouldn't get the full websites or something. I signed up for 200mb data because he said I would never come close to touching that on a blackberry. Well 5 days later I got an email that I was nearing the limit of my data so I went to the att site and upgraded to 2gb. I think the guy just didn't know what he was talking about! It was my first smartphone so I had no idea, just had my heart set on blackberry because I liked the way they looked. I went home and second guessed because of what he told me, then went back the next day and got it. Been addicted ever since. I LOVE blackberry!!

09-24-11 09:41 AM
    I'm open minded enough to look at other suggested items, yes. Sure, why not. Choice is good. Comparing is good. I don't mind going into a store looking for something specific and being informed about alternatives. Heck, they may be a better fit. In the end, I decide. But no harm looking at it all. I actually did do that when I bought a car. I had my mind set on something specific, and left with something different.

BLackBerry users seem to have this abused and forgotten thing going on lately.
    Exactly. Too many of these stories turn into "I went into a store and asked for a Blackberry but the salesman put a knife to my throat and made me get an android". We ultimately make the final decision on what we purchase and I find nothing wrong with people making suggestions based on what we say is important to us. I bet many of us, myself included, came TO Blackberry from another platform because someone suggested it might fit our needs. It works both ways.
    K Bear and Chrisy like this.
    09-24-11 10:27 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD