Now I'm upset. I had cell manager on my blackberry just to keep up with my data and messages. I've had it since it came out. A year or so. I just got this message on my blackberry that Rim has removed the app cause it wasn't supported by my carrier. WTF. How can this happen? Wonder if I appeal to Rim or at&t if it will make a difference. What does att have to do with what I have on my device. They don't provide me w/ apps or internet. This stinks.
    02-21-12 04:42 PM
    Sorry dude you contacted them.
    02-21-12 04:55 PM
    Ouch, they used the Kill Switch.
    02-21-12 04:58 PM
    Didn't know RIM/carrier could do that.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    02-21-12 04:59 PM
    I didn't know it either. It confused me at first. There was a message on home screen and I thought it boogis. I looked in my app folder and it wasn't there. Looked in app mananger and it not there. Then on today screen I see a message from rim. Crazy.
    02-21-12 05:26 PM
    Here is screen capture of the message;
    02-21-12 05:40 PM
    Wow.. That was very applesque. I'm sure there is some fine print where they say they can do this, but it's a reason why I stick with tmo.
    02-21-12 05:45 PM
    Interesting. Would like to see more info on this (a brief search didn't provide much, but then I didn't try very hard). It's not unheard of from any smartphone platform (albeit... very rare that it happens), although a few on these forums said it would never happen with BB or that the capability wasn't there via BIS.
    02-21-12 05:46 PM
    Interesting. Would like to see more info on this (a brief search didn't provide much, but then I didn't try very hard). It's not unheard of from any smartphone platform (albeit... very rare that it happens), although a few on these forums said it would never happen with BB or that the capability wasn't there via BIS.
    Exactly! Never say never...
    02-21-12 06:27 PM
    After about an hour on the phone with at&t we seem to have maybe found the problem.
    Rim is saying its a corruption in the app. That turner will get it straighten out in next few days. My only problem I it just started to have a problem.
    I would like say thanks to Bo over at the tech center for att. He is a fellow blackberry user. He went as far as installing the app on his personal 9900 to see what I was going thru. It happened to him right when he installed it.He couldn't find a problem with the network and att didn't black list it. So he called Rim and got their explantion. Att has gotten themselves some good folks.
    Oh this is the message I just got from big brother rim. Thanks for nothing.
    Last edited by 13echo4; 02-21-12 at 07:30 PM.
    02-21-12 07:24 PM
    It appears RIM has and uses their powers just like google and apple. But what irks me this was not malware. This appears to be ATT being pissed about something and crying to RIM. That to me is not cool.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-21-12 08:31 PM
    It appears RIM has and uses their powers just like google and apple. But what irks me this was not malware. This appears to be ATT being pissed about something and crying to RIM. That to me is not cool.
    This has nothing to do w/ att. After checking everthing out itd not on att's end. Its between turner and Rim.
    I can tell you this Rim can remove stuff from your device. By my up time they cAn reboot your device remotely also. My uptime jives with about 430 pm today. It should be 2 weeks.
    Guys need I say this doesn't sit well w/ me.
    02-21-12 08:44 PM
    This has nothing to do w/ att. After checking everthing out itd not on att's end. Its between turner and Rim.
    I can tell you this Rim can remove stuff from your device. By my up time they cAn reboot your device remotely also. My uptime jives with about 430 pm today. It should be 2 weeks.
    Guys need I say this doesn't sit well w/ me.
    If it doesn't have anything to do with att why did the initial email mention the app wasnt approved by your wireless service provider?
    02-21-12 08:50 PM
    Belfast? Thoughts?
    raino and avt123 like this.
    02-21-12 08:54 PM
    If it doesn't have anything to do with att why did the initial email mention the app wasnt approved by your wireless service provider?
    That's what the techs couldn't understand. After doing a search for the app and finding it IS approved by att the tech handling my case installed the app on his own blackberry and dealt with the problem 1st hand. So then he called rim. The rim tech said it was a corruption in the app. Not what the 2nd email said. They don't trouble shoot 3rd party apps.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-21-12 08:58 PM
    Belfast? Thoughts?
    hahaha, yes im curious to hear his take on this too
    02-21-12 08:58 PM
    Belfast? Thoughts?
    You kill me friend!

Cheers!
    02-21-12 09:42 PM
    That's what the techs couldn't understand. After doing a search for the app and finding it IS approved by att the tech handling my case installed the app on his own blackberry and dealt with the problem 1st hand. So then he called rim. The rim tech said it was a corruption in the app. Not what the 2nd email said. They don't trouble shoot 3rd party apps.
    Sounds like no one knows dor sure what happened and have decided to just give you the 'ole run around.
    02-21-12 09:44 PM
    Sounds like no one knows dor sure what happened and have decided to just give you the 'ole run around.
    Not at all. The techs went above and beyound to settle this matter. Do you understand that the app IS approved by att. I've had the app since it came out in 2010. If it was on att I believe it would have came out before now.
    02-21-12 10:20 PM
    Never heard of this either.
    02-21-12 11:10 PM
    "Never heard of this" ?

WOW. Some people. Apple has been doing this for a long time. It's no shock RIM and Android do it too.
    02-21-12 11:42 PM
    Here is screen capture of the message;
    Click to view quoted image
    I'm surprised they didn't remotely delete this email
    02-22-12 12:00 AM
    Two thoughts
    First, I would be p1ssed beyone belief if RIM removed an app like that.
    Second, if the app were in fact corrupted, and there were a possibility of interference with the db or phone functionality I would want it removed. But *I* would want to remove it. Not RIM. Let them tell me and then I would do it.
    This is bizarre.
    13echo4 likes this.
    02-22-12 04:05 AM
    Two thoughts
    First, I would be p1ssed beyone belief if RIM removed an app like that.
    Second, if the app were in fact corrupted, and there were a possibility of interference with the db or phone functionality I would want it removed. But *I* would want to remove it. Not RIM. Let them tell me and then I would do it.
    This is bizarre.
    Thank you. That's just what I think about it.
    02-22-12 05:21 AM
    I would be a little disappointed if this I true but let's analyze it a bit.

My suspicion is the kill switch is built into the app not the OS, otherwise why would RIM "request" the removal?

Either way, this question should be put to RIM, is there a back door built in BBOS?
    02-22-12 07:28 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD