Just curious if RIM is going to remove Call, Menu, Trackpad, Back & End Buttons in BB10 device?? I wish they save those buttons. Otherwise, it aint Blackberry. Same thing with Home Screen......I hate that windows Phone style home-screen in BB alpha device. Wish RIM would tweak & keep the same home screen we've now in OS 7.1.
    Thats the only 2 things I worried about BB10....the rest looks awesome!
    08-29-12 09:14 AM
    just saw this on a tweet. a little off the point of what you're talking about but still thought it was nice to share.

Article: Visualizing BlackBerry 10 Smartphones! | BBin

RoseBud68, sleepngbear and jegs2 like this.
    08-29-12 12:04 PM
    I think it's safe to say that they will take away the menu key, escape key, and that heavenly trackpad. The call and answer buttons may not be lost though... only time will tell
    08-29-12 07:23 PM
    I just think that keyboard concept is not big enough for fingers to type unless people are planning on using their thumbnail... The 9900 keyboard keys are Perfect!
    08-29-12 07:39 PM
    just saw this on a tweet. a little off the point of what you're talking about but still thought it was nice to share.

Click to view quoted image
    I like that one. The Victory looks better, but this one is not bad.
    08-29-12 07:43 PM
    This one looks really nice.
    08-29-12 11:38 PM
    Just curious if RIM is going to remove Call, Menu, Trackpad, Back & End Buttons in BB10 device?? I wish they save those buttons. Otherwise, it aint Blackberry. Same thing with Home Screen......I hate that windows Phone style home-screen in BB alpha device. Wish RIM would tweak & keep the same home screen we've now in OS 7.1.
    I guess you are a little late to the game.. If you want the OS7 stuff (device included) you might want to stick around to just that..

I also do love all the buttons, trackpad and homescreen everything but it's time for a change..

Your hate is justified because all you have seen is the Windows phone style stuff.. You should get some information on BB10 and how different it is.
    08-29-12 11:50 PM
    Really hope they find some way to keep the trackpad. Without it, editing messages on BB will be just as frustrating as other platforms.

Sent from an Unkown Device using Tapatalk
    vpblaze likes this.
    08-30-12 01:18 AM
    ^^not true
    08-30-12 01:50 AM
    I think the at least the trackpad will be gone for the new OS10 devices. Not too sure about the other buttons though.

As for the interface, the situation kinda reminds me on the Windows Mobile 6.x to Windows Phone 7 situation:
    The fanbase was eagerly awaiting a new, modern OS. However UI and UX were dramatically different, not every Win Mo fan was happy with the new WP7 concept.
    This is one of the reasons why I am not completely excited for OS10 without doubts: the UI and UX will change. Stuff I like about my current 7.x device will vanish and I am not sure if certain things will change for the better. At least when it comes to my very own needs.
    08-30-12 02:44 AM
    I can live without the four mains buttons. I can hardly figure my life with no back button, but if they succeed to replace it by a great gesture, it would be appreciated. But the trackpad seems unreplaceable, IMO. Like berryGuy25, I'll find a Berry trackpad "free" would be very disappointing. Still a BlackBerry, maybe, but a doubtful upgrade...
    08-30-12 03:13 AM
    Don't know about everyone else her, but I would really miss the trackpad. Touchscreen or no touchscreen, the trackpad is a genius invention and makes the phone far more usable single handed.
    recompile likes this.
    08-30-12 05:40 AM
    I like the four main keys and the trackpad. I could manage without the keys but I hope RIM finds a way to keep the trackpad and the touchscreen on the BB10 devices.
    08-30-12 07:49 AM
    I think they can stand to lose those buttons but the TrackPad is so important to my UI. I love the way when I just can't tap that little tiny spot, I can just use my TrackPad like a mouse on my laptop and go straight too it and select.

What I wouldn't mind though is them integrating the TrackPad into the gesture area for a nice clean, integrated look.
    08-30-12 08:32 AM

I actually don't like that new keyboard design which they got a patent for a believe? It just looks too crazy. The 9900 keyboard is tried tested and true, I hope that what they go with for the QWERTY BB10 device. The call send and end buttons look hot and I would hope that the Blackberry logo area would act as a trackpad.
    08-30-12 09:53 AM
    I think we can be pretty sure that the full touchscreen BB10 device will be completely buttonless on the front. I think that was pretty clear from the get go that BB10 will be all about swipes and gestures, ala PlayBook. The QWERTY model I'm not so sure about as there is virtually zero details out about it...but in terms of hardware keys on the touchscreen BB10 device, my guess would be a screen lock/on/off button on the top, and a volume rocker with a play/pause/mute key in the middle, maybe on the side of the device.

Only time will tell.

On another note, who else is jones-ing to read Kevin's BB10 Hands-on impression today. *scratches neck*
    08-30-12 10:03 AM
    Still patiently waiting for Kevin's article here.

Anyway, I've been using a lumia 800 as my daily driver on and off now for quite some time. I can honestly say I can live without these navigation buttons. They do make using a BBOS device easy, but on an OS that has been optimised for touch, I think it will matter less. I think its all up to how RIM is going to design BB10. Microsoft did a pretty good job with the OS in the way that typing on the virtual keyboard is actually pretty easy, fast and accurate. Even if I hit a few letters off once in a while, auto correct typically gets the job done most of the time. Selecting and editing of text is pretty easy easy on it too. I actually prefer microsoft's implementation over iOS.

I never did enjoyed the virtual keyboard on an iPhone much when I used it previously, even after having used it for years. but I'm actually enjoying using a virtual keyboard now. With the keyboard that RIM has shown us, and a bigger screen for easier typing, I think it will be a good keyboard to type on as well.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    08-30-12 01:00 PM
    In a recent interview with Thor, he stated that nothing from BB7 will be in BB10.. which is my opinion is not cool. I think BB7 is awesome the way it is now!

A BB isn't a BB without a track pad and 4 control buttons.. because that's how it used to be before BB had touchscreen. I'm just curious to see what BB10 will be like... But I'm thinking I will stick with my Bold 9930
    08-30-12 01:20 PM
    From the front-page:

As we've known and visualized in our DreamBerry mockup, the front of the phone features only a display and a keyboard. Gone is the row in between where you'd normally see the trackpad and call, menu and back buttons. The phone's footprint is similar to the Bold 9900, but the with more room on the front the display is now taller, featuring a 1:1 ratio at 720x720 resolution. Seeing the iconic BlackBerry design with that row of buttons missing from the middle took a little getting used to - it's something we have been looking at since the trackball was introduced. It almost felt like something was missing at first glance, but there's no doubt people are going to love the additional screen real estate afforded by this cleaner design.
    08-30-12 03:12 PM
    Engineering wise, it is probably better to minimize trouble prone mechanical buttons (Qwerty models sure have plenty). I do not mind converting them (I'm talking about those function buttons) to software alternatives, leaving one mechanical button for rest/recovery (besides volume up/down and lock etc), like Apple do.
    On Qwerty model, since they already have so many tiny keys, keeping additional keys really does not matter.
    I was sorta looking forward to BB10 touchscreen model that has a very functional always-on keypad on default (lock screen plus some) screen that can be used for shortcuts, and disappear automatically for display something. It will re-appear automatically as default. That would keep unique features of BB devices. Touchscreen model, no matter how fabulous it might be, will have to compete head on with iOS or Android etc.

I am dreaming some kind of qwerty/touch hybrid magic
    08-30-12 03:45 PM
    Engineering wise, it is probably better to minimize trouble prone mechanical buttons (Qwerty models sure have plenty). I do not mind converting them (I'm talking about those function buttons) to software alternatives, leaving one mechanical button for rest/recovery (besides volume up/down and lock etc), like Apple do.
    On Qwerty model, since they already have so many tiny keys, keeping additional keys really does not matter.
    I was sorta looking forward to BB10 touchscreen model that has a very functional always-on keypad on default (lock screen plus some) screen that can be used for shortcuts, and disappear automatically for display something. It will re-appear automatically as default. That would keep unique features of BB devices. Touchscreen model, no matter how fabulous it might be, will have to compete head on with iOS or Android etc.

I am dreaming some kind of qwerty/touch hybrid magic
    On the PlayBook you can swipe from the bottom left corner to bring up the keyboard no matter where you are. I'm hoping they will keep that gesture, and allow users to set custom shortcuts using the virtual keyboard.
    08-30-12 04:00 PM

When I first read RIM was patenting this type of keyboard I was a bit hesitant in accepting it and picturing it in my mind but it looks pretty cool in this picture.
    08-31-12 12:05 AM
    I can understand if they do away with the trackpad, but that would be a shame. The trackpad makes it so easy to navigate - I just move my thumb a little bit and I can navigate anywhere without having to touch all over the screen. For example, if I get an Email, I just pick up the phone in one hand, touch the trackpad a few times and if all I want to do is read the message I can do everything I need to do with a few thumb movements and I don't have to use both hands. I think that is really efficient. Also, I am one of those people who cannot stand fingerprints on the screen and I have better things to do than wipe the screen clean several times a day. The trackpad makes the device much more pleasant to use than it would be if navigation were all touch screen.
    08-31-12 10:24 AM
    1>
    Good riddance to anything OS6/7. homescreen included. pooey pooey pooey. they tried it with OS1 for the playbook and it was not great.

and two: I do not know which buttons exist, but I do know that the BB10 phones DO have a few hardware keys. Though, Full screen devices tend to not have the call and end buttons as hardware buttons anymore, so i dont believe the first one will have it. Most likyl hardware volume rocker, witha play / pauce button and maybe one more.
    08-31-12 10:29 AM
    I haven't looked at the new keyboard but hopefully it'll be similar to thumb keyboard which has 4 arrow keys so you can move around nicely. I'd rather have no physical buttons on a touch screen device so that you can have more screen real estate.
    08-31-12 10:50 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD