Was surfing youtube and found a very interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1weKReXu16Q.

This is Nokia 2011 demo of Meego. I found that it was very similar to BB10, which made me question who is copying who?
    Another piece of research took me to TAT's home page where i read that they have assisted with the meego's platform. What i am trying to say is that i dont want a bunch of OS's that look similar (Ubuntu). I want a unique and awesome experience. Please someone tell me i have all my facts messed up and that BB10 is not copying anyone that closely.
    01-14-13 02:04 AM
    Bb10 is copying meego. This is old news though
    01-14-13 02:07 AM
    Damn, i was hoping this wasn't true. Meego hasn't caught on in North America I assume, so tell me BB10 is that much better and wont suffer the same fate.
    magutwit likes this.
    01-14-13 02:16 AM
    Bb10 is copying meego. This is old news though
    Personally, I don't care considering everyone borrows from everyone else these days but let's not get it twisted. MeeGo was in the works long before BlackBerry 10 was even conceived, just look at the Nokia N9 - http://swipe.nokia.com/

Nokia N9 is so easy to use it doesn't need any menu buttons. In any app, swiping from any edge takes you home – so you can move easily between your activities.
    Sound familiar? lol
    01-14-13 02:20 AM
    Jan 30 2013

Damn, i was hoping this wasn't true. Meego hasn't caught on in North America I assume, so tell me BB10 is that much better and wont suffer the same fate.
    01-14-13 02:26 AM
    MeeGo got axed when the newly installed CEO of Nokia, Stephen Elop, went with the Windows Phone OS. Also, it's hard to catch on when only 92,000 handsets, the N9, were ever made...
    01-14-13 04:28 AM
    Was surfing youtube and found a very interesting

This is Nokia 2011 demo of Meego. I found that it was very similar to BB10, which made me question who is copying who?
    Another piece of research took me to TAT's home page where i read that they have assisted with the meego's platform. What i am trying to say is that i dont want a bunch of OS's that look similar (Ubuntu). I want a unique and awesome experience. Please someone tell me i have all my facts messed up and that BB10 is not copying anyone that closely.
    Well, BB10 is somewhat similar to MeeGo (was already mentioned several time everywhere). But we heard the same when MeeGo was released, WebOS fans where screaming that it's a copy of their beloved OS. What makes all these OSs (WebOS, MeeGo, Ubuntu Mobile, SailFish, BlackBerry 10) similar is the use of gestures. But MeeGo has a different set of gestures compared to BB10. For example, you can swipe from left/right to send app to background, same you can do as in BB10, from bottom. To close app in MeeGo you swipe from top, in BB10 you have app menu appear with that gesture. Also there is a notification center in MeeGo, but compared to BB10 it's a mess. Icons on MeeGo all in one vertically scrollable screen. So, what I'm trying to say is that they are similar but not a copy of each other.
    01-14-13 05:46 AM
    Personally, I don't care considering everyone borrows from everyone else these days but let's not get it twisted. MeeGo was in the works long before BlackBerry 10 was even conceived, just look at the Nokia N9 - Home | Experience Nokia N9 ? All it takes is a swipe

Sound familiar? lol
    Isn't that what he said? Lol
    01-14-13 07:29 AM
    Nokia really did trade the bird in their hand for the one on in bush......and they lost big time. They had a beautiful OS in their hands and they gave it up for WP7, not even WP8 at the time. It's too late to go back to it now.
    magutwit, SilkySunshine and Gerii like this.
    01-14-13 07:33 AM
    If TAT worked on meego and was also a part of BB10 - does it not stand to reason there may be some similarities?
    01-14-13 07:38 AM
    What i am trying to say is that i dont want a bunch of OS's that look similar (Ubuntu). I want a unique and awesome experience. Please someone tell me i have all my facts messed up and that BB10 is not copying anyone that closely.
    I suggest you focus your attention on functionality rather than cosmetics. A smartphone is supposed to be a practical device, and it doesn't matter in the slightest if the UI looks similar to another device - provided it works for the user.
    Shanerredflag, aniym and peter9477 like this.
    01-14-13 07:44 AM
    Meego was an opensource OS that TAT contributed to before being bought by RIM. So the people that had a heavy influence on the Meego UI are the people having a heavy influence on BB10 UI. Either way RIM now owns the talent!
    01-14-13 08:42 AM
    That's an interrogation I share
    I'm gonna be in for BB10. But what about the other north americans...
    01-14-13 12:26 PM
    That's an interrogation I share
    I'm gonna be in for BB10. But what about the other north americans...
    Meego wasn't widely spread accross the media as BB10 is. Heck, I hadn't heard of it until it was pointed out to me here a couple of months ago (not that I'm in the know but I am a consumer). Every news agency and tech blog has been all over RIM over the last coulple of years, and continue to do so, but now, it is a positive sentiment. Sure, there are millions who know nothing of BB10 but that will change once RIM's marketing comes into play. Can you remember ever hearing of Meego before?
    magtheridon2000 likes this.
    01-14-13 12:31 PM
    Sure, there are millions who know nothing of BB10 but that will change once RIM's marketing comes into play. Can you remember ever hearing of Meego before?
    Good points. Never heard of meego before this thread. Compared to my grand father who had read about Blackberry 10 in the journal, it clearly shows the difference, as you say.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    01-14-13 12:46 PM
    Meego, or the Nokia N9 in particular, was never actually released for the mass market. The N9 only launched in a couple of evolving markets, mostly without too much carrier support. It was mainly a texhnology testbed for Nokia. A shame thiugh, because the N9 recieved much more positive voices than Nokias first Lumias did.
    So the situations of both plattforms can't be more radically different. While Meego was treated like trash by Nokia, BB10 is RIMs best bet with much better support by the company.
    thymaster likes this.
    01-14-13 01:39 PM
    Isn't that what he said? Lol
    pantlesspenguin and jakie55 like this.
    01-18-13 04:56 PM
    Despite the similarities, Meego is a thing of the past now and no one is going to remember or care about them because they are dead in the water. It has a lot of potentials but was never given the opportunity to shine. That was Nokia biggest mistake, they didn't have any plans or long term goal for this mobile OS to succeed.

BB10 is in it to win. Blackberry is determined to promote their BB10 OS for the next 10 years. They are confident that BB10 is going to be a huge international success that they have set goals and have invested millions of dollars in marketing the product.

That's the difference between the two company. Nokia didn't lack innovation but they were lacking goals and confidence.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    01-19-13 03:13 PM
    IF we look at past companies with great ideas that did nothing, I still have a soft spot for WebOS....just too bad they could not follow through. (I know...too complex for such a simple comment, but bear with me.) Meego is another great idea....I was looking forward to meego computers and phones....oh well. On the other hand, we have a vibrant, ready to launch product that has grown from those previous ideas. Isn't that how most innovations mature? Did you think Graham Alexander Bell "invented" the telephone in a vaccuum?
    tack likes this.
    01-20-13 02:17 AM
    There are definitely some cosmetic similarities between Meego and BB10, and even some architectural ones. FUNCTIONALLY, though, RIM has done a lot of its own work. Hub is a very important differentiator, as is the keyboard.

As well, let's not forget the app portfolio and infrastructure for BB10 is already pretty robust, and it hasn't even released yet.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-20-13 05:21 AM