Does anyone know if the new BB10 phones will be able do voice and data simultaneously? It's seems the new iphone5 wouldn't be able to do it.

Verizon and Sprint LTE iPhone 5s still can't surf and make calls simultaneously - National Technology | Examiner.com
    09-15-12 05:11 PM
    Current BBs can, I don't see why RIM would release 'new and improved gen of multitasking powerhouses' that can't do this.
    09-15-12 06:22 PM
    A very good question, as I don't believe the 9930 can - same deal. You need Wifi on to use both voice and data.
    The GSM devices can.
    09-15-12 06:27 PM
    GSM has always had this feature but CDMA phones for the most part cannot do this. Only the newer android LTE devices have been able to have simultaneous voica/data. it depends on the final chipset that rim has for its CDMA phones on if they can do this.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    09-15-12 06:30 PM
    Believe that is carrier specific, AT&T has been doing this for some time with all there phones. Not so for Verizon.
    09-15-12 06:31 PM
    Is it perhaps also a carrier thing? Just tested it with my brother - I have a Torch 9650 on Telus and he has an iPhone 4s on Rogers and he was able to chat with me while he was surfing the net.

- R.
    09-15-12 06:32 PM
    Tellus and Verizon are CDMA network. AT&T is a GSM legacy network. That's the difference.

Please read post 4 in this thread.

The question is will the CDMA BB 10 devices support voice and data simultaneously.
    09-15-12 06:39 PM
    Rogers is GSM. AT&T is GSM. GSM networks since 3G have been able to do it. Some Android phones on LTE/CDMA can too but the general rule is CDMA phones can't and GSM networks can.
    09-15-12 06:56 PM
    LTE, which is not CDMA or GSM.

If the LTE phones have the second antenna that is needed, then they can. iPhone 5 cannot because Apple made the design decision to leave out this second antenna, possibly for space reasons.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    09-15-12 07:19 PM
    LTE, which is not CDMA or GSM.

If the LTE phones have the second antenna that is needed, then they can. iPhone 5 cannot because Apple made the design decision to leave out this second antenna, possibly for space reasons.
    Space, battery and cost. The same reasons will likely apply to RIM if they leave out this functionality as well.
    Last edited by mikeo007; 09-15-12 at 08:46 PM.
    09-15-12 07:59 PM
    Telus is HSPA. My understanding is that is not CDMA based. Please note I recognize that may be a stupid statement as HSPA may not ever be CDMA based (apples can't be based on oranges) but the bottom line is my understanding is that the CDMA/GSM issue is moot on HSPA. If anyone can confirm/deny or otherwise enlighten me that would be great.

- R.
    09-15-12 08:03 PM
    Telus is HSPA. My understanding is that is not CDMA based. Please note I recognize that may be a stupid statement as HSPA may not ever be CDMA based (apples can't be based on oranges) but the bottom line is my understanding is that the CDMA/GSM issue is moot on HSPA. If anyone can confirm/deny or otherwise enlighten me that would be great.

- R.
    If I understand correctly, GPRS/EDGE/HSPA are all GSM/UTMS protocols
    1X and 1xEV-DO are CDMA protocols.

Tellus used to (still does) have a CDMA network, but they've recently worked with Bell to deploy a nation wide HSPA network. Tellus and Bell services are confusing because they still support the older networks, but basically all 3 major carriers in Canada are UMTS now.

Not sure about the USA, is Verizon still CDMA?
    pcguy514 likes this.
    09-15-12 08:11 PM
    Got a quote for such a speculation?

RIM acquired paratek which is a company specializing in antenna design
    I'd wager RIM will support the multi antenna needed to give both voice and data on CDMA networks
    No, but common sense would dictate that those are the main factors in Apple choosing not to include the capability. I would have to assume that if RIM didn't include the functionality, it would be for the same reason. What other reason would there be? Spite? Just for lulz?
    09-15-12 08:14 PM
    No, but common sense would dictate that those are the main factors in Apple choosing not to include the capability. I would have to assume that if RIM didn't include the functionality, it would be for the same reason. What other reason would there be? Spite? Just for lulz?
    But seeing as ONLY Apple is doing it and Android and Microsoft aren't doing it the safer bet is RIM would be the same as the norm and not try and have LESS features than 2012 models
    _BB10_ likes this.
    09-15-12 08:24 PM
    But seeing as ONLY Apple is doing it and Android and Microsoft aren't doing it the safer bet is RIM would be the same as the norm and not try and have LESS features than 2012 models
    You may be right, and I never said that they wouldn't have it. I only gave justification for them not implementing it.
    09-15-12 08:29 PM
    So everyone can see the origin of the question that started this post...

http://forums.crackberry.com/apple-i...eously-745010/
    09-15-12 08:39 PM
    You may be right, and I never said that they wouldn't have it. I only gave justification for them not implementing it.
    Well you implied they'd likely leave it out

and words get twisted over and over and over and someone will be quoting you as to why RIM is gonna fail
    09-15-12 08:42 PM
    Well you implied they'd likely leave it out

and words get twisted over and over and over and someone will be quoting you as to why RIM is gonna fail
    Sorry, my post was poorly worded I guess. I was never implying that RIM would not include the ability. I'll change it so nobody else misinterprets it.
    09-15-12 08:44 PM
    Until otherwise noted, it would appear the answer is "no one knows".
    Which is fair given the lack of published specifications.

Guess we will find out in a couple of months. Or a leak.
    09-15-12 08:54 PM
    Is this another antenna issue with apple which effects Sweden customers?

Does Apple hate Swedes? — European technology news
    09-16-12 10:34 AM
    GSM has always had this feature but CDMA phones for the most part cannot do this. Only the newer android LTE devices have been able to have simultaneous voica/data. it depends on the final chipset that rim has for its CDMA phones on if they can do this.

I believe the chipset is more than sufficient to run a side by side capability.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.569 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    09-16-12 11:41 AM
    CDMA is voice only. LTE, at least for the carriers in question, is data only until they implement VoLTE ( Voice over LTE).
    While the antennas can handle one or the other, they cannot handle both simultaneously.
    With Apple, they chose to put out a phone that cannot do both simultaneously at this point in time with the carriers whose fall back system for voice is CDMA. They could have installed a third antenna which would be able to handle the voice while the other two handle data but decided to let people suffer until the VoLTE option was implemented by their carrier.
    The question is, can the antennas that RIM is using handle both LTE and CDMA simultaneously or will they add a second antenna. Or will they just let their customers wait until VoLTE is implemented by their carriers�
    09-16-12 12:07 PM
    edited by timmy t.
    Last edited by timmy t; 09-16-12 at 12:30 PM.
    09-16-12 12:10 PM
    That is disgusting, DeRusett. You changed the quote and then went after him for a poor choice of words.
    Pretty pathetic.
    mike changed his quote after the discussion with DeRusett. The quote DeRusett has is the original quote and no wrongdoing occurred.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    09-16-12 12:26 PM
    mike changed his quote after the discussion with DeRusett. The quote DeRusett has is the original quote and no wrongdoing occurred.
    My apologies. I thought that seemed out of character.
    09-16-12 12:29 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD