Some of you seem to know people at RIM. From what you see and with all the negative aspects these days, how are the morale in Waterloo? Knowing that if it is too low it is wise too say that boring things will emerge. But if enthusiasm is among some key persons, it could make a difference. I wish it is still possible to think the morale is up but it would take a very strong guru at RIM. Anyone has this quality in the team?
    11-17-11 07:29 AM
    Whilst it must be frustrating to know that you make not one but a whole range of the best damn smartphone ever made and to be selling like wildfire everywhere EXCEPT in the USA, RIM employees must know that what is coming is trully massive.

You know that we have seen a couple of pics of the new phones, we have experienced the excellence of QNX with the PlayBook and there is a new killer opdate coming for taht device with OS2. So I think that whist RIM have got to overcome a lot of the current negative publicity (now, I wonder who could have started and fanned that? Surely not a competitor...). Once they have done that, the future for RIM looks very bright indeed.

I am certainly staying with the dark fruit phone for the foreseeable future.
    11-17-11 07:39 AM
    I think it is the constant negative articles in tech websites/blogs (all of which come from the USA) that continue to hurt the brand. I mean I read a CNET "ask maggie" (not sure if that's the right name, will post a link later" and she went on to say she doesn't like Blackberries, but when the guy said he does a lot of email she still was negative. And what is worse is she admits she doesn't write long emails from her iPhone because of the on screen keyboard is only good for sending short messages!!!

I hope the men and women who are RIM don't let it get to them! And I do hope that they see more growth in the US. As everywhere else they seem to be doing ok.

I'm sticking with RIM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-11 08:28 AM
    I think RIM is steady in the shadow. They must stay low profile for now, people will finally calm down. This is a good strategy, since they have nothing concrete in hands.
    They must wait, enjoy the OS7 devices sales, take back some cash for Q4 results ... and then ... everything will be ready for ... you know what /\
    Snap51, Kiddello and Jake2826 like this.
    11-17-11 12:27 PM
    I have a friend that works in the dev department. The f***er won't tell me anything except 'you should see whats coming'.
    I would love to!

Anyway, I don't know about the company as a whole, but the few people I do know seem to have a good morale and can't understand why BBs get all the negative press.
    They love/like their jobs.

HTH
    rocmon, 00stryder, Navidb and 8 others like this.
    11-17-11 01:02 PM
    Good to know, and read something positive
    11-17-11 01:07 PM
    Marguerite Reardon makes me want to barf , her face looks half pared on a guys ! haha , i wonder how much she has to shave
    11-17-11 02:30 PM
    The morale is not bad, a few people aren't as happy as they once were but most of my friends still love it there.

And I am told the same thing, you should see what's coming. The company is finally sharing some of the vision with the employees and not keeping them in the dark. Living close to Waterloo, sometimes you can catch people talking about the upcoming phones and ideas.

I am patiently waiting for the new QNX phones to drop.

11-17-11 07:29 PM
    RIM still one of the BEST place, if not THE BEST place to work in Canada. The high level engineering design teams are under pressure to perform well. But this is the nature of any job anyway. RIM seems to be focusing its future on marks in Asia including India and China two of the largest populations.

One of my friends went from IBM Canada service office to RIM as soon as she received the job. So, a lot of Canadians love to work at RIM.

Remember, Ontario, the province where RIM HQ is located, seen a huge drop in jobs thanks to bad economy. I bet that most people work at RIM love it because they are happy to have job at the first place.

No I only know one person who work at RIM and she used to be in engineering section of IBM servers. She said RIM is a far better place to work compared to IBM Canada. That's all I know... RIM is a great company for us.
    11-17-11 07:48 PM
    Cnet really amazes me sometimes, they were laughing at the OS7 devices and Tong was saying that none of the phones in the lineup had NFC and my mouth was like
    11-17-11 07:50 PM
    Cnet really amazes me sometimes, they were laughing at the OS7 devices and Tong was saying that none of the phones in the lineup had NFC and my mouth was like
    Ok..... That's really odd. What a d***

Anyway my friend at RIM really is just telling me to wait cause he knows something big is coming. That all the fool wants to tell me

11-17-11 08:07 PM
    I don't know anybody working at RIM well enough to have heard anything (I know of a couple people from my Computer Science program working there but not well enough to be in the loop). But I would bet that the morale is still doing ok - maybe not great like it might have been 4 years ago, but ok. One thing that helps with that I think it is in Ontario, where BlackBerry is still the dominant platform - partly just because of geographic loyalty. Last time I was in Toronto a few weeks ago, I did a quick inventory of the smartphones on the transit ride I was on, and it came out to something like 25 BB's, 0 iPhones, and 1 Android. When Google set up their new office in Waterloo earlier this year, a bunch of U of Waterloo and Wilfrid Laurier students organized protests against Google to encourage people to keep buying BlackBerry's. If the HQ was somewhere in the States with a low userbase, it would probably hurt morale more, but here in Ontario they can still see their products everywhere. They are still taking a beating from the media of course, but I think seeing their users out in the world plus having some idea of what's coming would keep them fairly interested.
    11-17-11 08:13 PM
    Working at the University of Waterloo I have a couple of friends across the parking lot at RIM. They tell me that they have never been this excited about whats coming in BBX. They refuse to give me any specifics but also say some of the BBX concepts are mindblowing. Apparently the Cascades stuff shown at Devcon makes building eye candy really easy.

They have got me eagerly waiting for BBX.
    Last edited by rjshahan; 11-17-11 at 08:30 PM. Reason: corrected awkward grammar
    11-17-11 08:29 PM

Anyway my friend at RIM really is just telling me to wait cause he knows something big is coming. That all the fool wants to tell me

That's been the biggest problem with RIM over the years. Months of talk and hype and then fail to deliver a really good product. The competition is blowing them away with cutting edge hardware and software while RIM makes minor upgrades to their already outdated software and devices. This is one reason why they are loosing all kinds of market share in the US. US consumers are on the cutting edge of the smartphone wave. Not like the 3rd world countries where RIM seems to be doing well, for now.
    New data now shows that iPhones have surpassed Blackberries in enterprises. I have witnessed this first hand at my company. Within 2 years after the iPhone was approved by IT for use at our company more than half of our employees have made the switch. I would say within another year the company can no longer justify maintaining the BES / blackberry platform. The cost to keep the BES servers maintained and running for a few holdouts will not be justifiable.
    11-17-11 08:31 PM
    She said RIM is a far better place to work compared to IBM Canada.
    I used to work at IBM Canada and I approve this statement...
    11-17-11 08:43 PM
    Well I wish I could say more but if they can deliver on the ideas they have then they can get back in the game. Execution is the key which has not been RIM's strong suit.

Can't say more, pesky NDA's.

11-17-11 08:46 PM
    @collide.six

Have you read the report? I am assuming you are talking about the ipass report. I tried downloading the full report, no such luck but from the first 7 pages, you do not come away with that conclusion. From the charts, 80% of the companies provide and support Blackberry and intend to upgrade in the next 3 months. As I said, I haven't read the report but I am trying to figure out how they got that conclusion.
    11-17-11 08:46 PM
    The iPhone is just popular right now and some companies will experiment with other brands. And isn't there a "buy American" campaign in the US right now

Apple makes a good product and some places are just changing-over...because it's trendy.
    RIM will come back hard because they're better

I own a Mac running Lion and I'm thoroughly impressed with the playbook and the future of RIM. Apple is a great product but even with some annoyances pb >> iPad ...oh..and I can't forget....pb >> Kindle-ing
    11-17-11 09:01 PM
    for the sake of the final flagship device released with bbx;i damn sure hope it is high
    11-17-11 09:02 PM
    I have a friend that works in the dev department. The f***er won't tell me anything except 'you should see whats coming'.
    I would love to!

Anyway, I don't know about the company as a whole, but the few people I do know seem to have a good morale and can't understand why BBs get all the negative press.
    They love/like their jobs.

HTH
    RIM is a great company. without all the 'attitude' you find at some tech companies!
    11-17-11 09:22 PM
    Let's see....Octoberfest was how long ago? I think the folks in Waterloo invented morale long before they invented the Blackberry. Who's got Rangers tickets?...anyone? Anyone?
    11-17-11 09:41 PM
  22. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Rim is in the heart of Canada's "silicon valley" and draws on the great association it has with the University of Waterloo.... Canada's "MIT"....

I am very confident exciting things are coming from Rim and would not underestimate their capacity for innovation .....
    11-17-11 09:50 PM
    US consumers are on the cutting edge of the smartphone wave.
    Seriously ? LOL
    Thats why they get phones overseas looong before they are released in North America (The Sharp Aquos phone ... for example ... is in Japan before its over here).
    buwee likes this.
    11-17-11 10:21 PM
    i work with a large company and we have 2400 bb. we have offered the iphone for 2 years now, they number 200....bb is relavent

over the last year i find myself defending rim so i can sympothise with the good folks in waterloo. like them, i am excited for real change...not just talk , it just has to happen. im looking foward to q1 and q2.

the hate for rim reminds me of what happened to vanilla ice....we loved him so, cool hair, cool tune...but then someone said he had no street cred, and boom...the world turned on him...rim has street cred and thats why they will make a come back!

ice ice baby
    11-17-11 10:22 PM
    It feels good to read such comforting replies about RIM. Life has its difficulties but when you mix knowledge, drive and work it usually ends up with very positive things. And I have increasingly the feeling that RIM will come out with exceptional products. To everyone working at RIM don't be distracted with panic and negative. Just be focus to be THE best.

It's now time more than ever to tell you that we stand behind you.
    11-17-11 11:16 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD