Hey all, I have a 9650 and recently started a new job. When asking the IT guy to set my email for me he told me that he created a spot in the BES system for me. He gave me an activation code and told me all would be good. My only issue is when I go into my email settings on my 9650 there is no option for BES. It only shows my current personal BIS email accounts and gives me an option to add another BIS. When I used to go into email settings it would give me the option to select Internet mail setup or BES setup. Im not sure if a setting got changed or what. Also what are the advantages of setting it up through BES vs just setting it up on BIS?

Thanks
    02-18-11 09:06 PM
    Under Options/Advanced Options/ try "Enterprise Activation".

The advantages to BES on the same Exchange server would be:

1. Nearly-instant push e-mail;
    2. Nearly-instant reconciliation of read/unread/replied/forwarded status between the BlackBerry and Outlook;
    3. Nearly-instant reconciliation of Contacts, Calendar entries, tasks and notes between the BlackBerry and Outlook.

Comparing BES on Exchange with BIS on a non-exchange server is more difficult, but most of the above apply across the board. A couple of non BES e-mail providers (gmail and yahoo!) offer instant push, and yahoo! offers instant reconciliation of email status flags, but BIS in general doesn't work as well as BES. Having said that, I used BIS/gmail/google sync very effectively for several years. I had to change over when I got involved in an enterprise environment where sharing calendars over mobile devices became critical. After struggling with Google Apps for six months, we changed to Exchange/BES. It has just worked.
    Last edited by jbs-horn; 02-19-11 at 12:15 AM.
    02-19-11 12:06 AM
    Hey all, I have a 9650 and recently started a new job. When asking the IT guy to set my email for me he told me that he created a spot in the BES system for me. He gave me an activation code and told me all would be good. My only issue is when I go into my email settings on my 9650 there is no option for BES. It only shows my current personal BIS email accounts and gives me an option to add another BIS. When I used to go into email settings it would give me the option to select Internet mail setup or BES setup. Im not sure if a setting got changed or what. Also what are the advantages of setting it up through BES vs just setting it up on BIS?

Thanks
    Is your personal BIS setup with a GMail account? If you enable wireless contact and calendar sync through your GMail account, it performs a pseudo-BES activation (for lack of a better term) to enable the contact and calendar sync (using the Google Sync app is no longer necessary).

If you want to get on the BES system at work, you will need to either remove your GMail account (might work) or wipe the device (definitely will work) in order to get the enterprise activation option back.
    Last edited by anthromatt; 02-19-11 at 09:56 AM.
    02-19-11 09:51 AM
    If you haven't been a BES user (and it sounds like you haven't), then you may not be aware of the privacy and control implications. It is almost never a good idea to put your personal device on a BES account.

Can a BES administrator read my PIN and/or SMS messages and see my phone call logs?
    Yes, if the BES is version 4.1 or newer and the device is o/s code 4.1 or later.
    • Starting with BES 4.1, the BES admin can log all PIN and SMS messages to the BES server, including the content of those messages.
    • BlackBerry Messenger messages and conversations can also be audited by the BES administrator.
    • In addition, the administrator can view all phone calls made/received to the device including date/time, number dialed, and the name of the person you are calling or who called you if that name is listed in your contact list.

Source: BES Users FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ

See also this link, originally posted by Joolie, a super moderator at the BES forum port3101.org: What does BES see? What can be tracked?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-11 06:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD