BlackBerry 10 Launch was a fiasco, before I go ahead and make some suggestions, let me do a brief recap (clearly, I am still a bit upset):

- Presentation quality/stage presence of Thorsten, Marty was pretty bad. Vivek was okay but not excellent either.
    - No demo of key apps (just showed us a bunch of logos) – should have demo’ed maps/navigation app, some productivity apps, some social media apps, some games, some NFC integrated apps. I was hoping to be blown away by demo of some “quality” “top” apps developed in Cascade for BlackBerry
    - Didn’t show off any cool accessories (power-users would have liked to see some docks, consumers would have liked to see cases etc.)
    - Didn’t invite any key partners (big name app makers) on stage to talk about how “awesome”/”easy” it was to develop for BB 10
    - Didn’t talk about hardware (cpu, micro HDMI, RAM, battery life, expandable memory cards etc.)
    - Didn’t demo voice assistance/viki, browser (BB 5/6/7 are infamous for having terrible browser. Now that you’ve finally gotten it right, demo it. Sure, it’s taken for granted in all smartphones but come on, BlackBerry is infamous for not having a great browser, why not just show it!)
    - Launch delayed in US, Q10 not available immediately.

So, now that, US launch has been delayed well into March, you can be sure that (already) pissed-off US media will go to WAR with BlackBerry if BlackBerry (when it launches) comes with frustrating bugs. Use next 30 days wisely. What’s done is done. Here is what RIM MUST do –

1. Listen to user feedback. Don’t dismiss critical/negative reviews/criticism from haters. Behind their rants, there are some genuine concerns. The only thing haters are doing is blowing those concerns out of proportion.. So, make a list of all criticism, categorize them, brainstorm them and fix them. I haven’t used a production BB 10, and I am sure that BB-haters (BGR etc.) are exaggerating their criticism but it’s for Team BlackBerry to extract real pain-points from those rants and fix them.
    Just a few examples:

- I read criticism about text-messages/SMS short cut not working as a normal user would expect it to work, about how it takes you to last-used Hub screen. Brainstorm it, find an elegant solution and fix it with software update.

- Some users are mighty upset at lack of fine-grained sound-profiles that were available in BB 5/6/7 but not in BB 10.

- BBM Voice was released couple of months ago and Team BlackBerry re-assured us that they’ll provide us ability to “turn off” Voice when you are on wifi. It hasn’t been done yet and even in their own BlackBerry's BetaZone “feature-request” page, it has been one of the top 5 most requested features.

- Also, read in reviews that there is no “status bar” inside apps. So, if you get an email, message or anything, you’ll see red LED blinking but you won’t know what kind of message it is without going to Hub. In BB 5/6/7, you can see right on top (remaining battery, wireless signal, # of emails, # texts, # whatsapp, #bbm, #other notifications). This is basic and should be fixed.

So, basically, listen to user feedback, see what bugs/issues are “most irritating” to users and fix those first and fast!

2. Commercials/Advertising: Do what you can to show-off key features (including obvious features like Browser, Maps etc.). If you are going to spend XXX million dollars in advertising/commercials, please ensure that you are educating your potential customers. While BB enthusiasts and fans already know these features, general public doesn’t and they think that BlackBerry is so lame that it can’t even “browse”. So, inform them!
    - you’ve to over-write the general image that people have of BlackBerry that its a lame device and can't even browser. BB 10 is at-par (if not better), inform users about this!
    - you’ve to show off features that differentiate you from competition, how it makes you more productive (hub, flow, better keyboard, short cuts etc.)
    Basically, don’t waste your marketing money in crap/un-informative commercials.

3. Demo, demo, physical demo: I believe BlackBerry “experience” is an addictive experience. You only appreciate it after you’ve used it for few days. On paper, you don’t realize how productive a BlackBerry makes you but once you’ve experienced it, you start realizing how a BlackBerry is saving you time. It speeds up routine/repetitive tasks and saves you few seconds everytime. Adds up and makes for an addictive experience. So, BlackBerry should do whatever it can to demo this “experience” to as many users as possible.[I]
    - One suggestion is to simply ship a batch of “trial” devices to major stores. When a user wants to purchase a phone, they can ask sales-rep for a “trial BB 10 devices” for few days. Use it for few days, buy a new device if you like it. Return it at no charge if you don’t like it.

- I read reports about how BlackBerry has “demo vans” in Toronto. I think that’s a great idea. Do more of it, do it in major cities.

Basically, the key is to get as many people as possible to "experience" out the device. Not just try for few seconds or minutes but actually experience it. If you can't offer few-days trial, do it through your demo vans. Maybe, do 15 minute workshops. Hand everyone a device and go through some common tasks that can be done more effectively on BlackBerry. Then give these people some "play time". Then do another 15 minute session with next set of people. Do it via Demo Vans or set-up mini stalls inside major stores like BestBuy, FutureShop etc.
    I don’t know the logistics of it but that’s for Team BlackBerry to figure out. Make it happen.

4. Do whatever you can to speed up launch. First week of March is better than second week of March. Every week counts.

5. Give PlayBook BB 10 (beta?) update as soon as possible. Next week be good, tomorrow would be better!

CrackBerry members, feel free to add more suggestions. And if you know people at RIM/BlackBerry, please point them to this thread. Let’s make a list of suggestions here and hope Team BlackBerry reads, listens and implements constructive and do-able suggestions. Let's try and keep our suggestions/criticism, "constructive".

I am sure some suggestions are not going to be do-able, some are going to be rants, some un-constructive, but it’s for Team BlackBerry to extract constructive, meaningful, do-able “to do” list from them.
    Last edited by chrysaurora; 01-31-13 at 11:44 AM.
    01-31-13 11:25 AM
    What? You folks have no suggestions for improving BB 10?
    Come on, UK folks, you've had it for a day. List your suggestions here.
    02-01-13 10:28 AM
    I couldn't agree more with chrysaurora. BB should hire this person. I have not seen a clearer concise summary of what needs to be done.

I also wonder why they decided to not work out the obvious issues with the Q10 so that it could launch side by side with the Z10. Rumor is that it is quite the amazing phone but has some issues due to screen size, etc. for apps. I am waiting for that phone.

The Apple marketing for their products is so genius because they flood the media with images of what the phone can do, basically saying, whatever you want to do, "There is an app for that."
    02-01-13 10:41 AM
    I couldn't agree more with chrysaurora. BB should hire this person. I have not seen a clearer concise summary of what needs to be done.

I also wonder why they decided to not work out the obvious issues with the Q10 so that it could launch side by side with the Z10. Rumor is that it is quite the amazing phone but has some issues due to screen size, etc. for apps. I am waiting for that phone.

The Apple marketing for their products is so genius because they flood the media with images of what the phone can do, basically saying, whatever you want to do, "There is an app for that."
    except for recieving music by bluetooth

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    02-01-13 11:41 AM
    about these trial devices?
    whats to stop people stealing them?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    02-01-13 11:42 AM
    Suggestion: support more VPN protocols. Right now, BB10 only supports protocols often used in large scale corporate environments. It makes it very difficult for consumers and small businesses to secure their connections and connect to their work places if they choose Blackberry. For example, most commercial vpn providers offer PPTP, OpenVPN and IPSEC based connections. That allows them to connect to all desktop operating systems (Windows, Linux, OSX) and iOS and Android devices but not Blackberry. Please support industry standards.
    02-01-13 02:40 PM
    My suggestion:

1) BBM Video group chat.
    2) Equalizer for music player
    3) True cache GPS map similar to google map but better. For an example, google map allow cache but requires internet connection to navigate. Data has to be sent to servers, then they send back route info. If BB10 allows cache map, and allow navigation while you are in a middle of no where without carrier signal. TRUE OFFLINE GPS NAVIGATION PLEASE.
    02-01-13 02:58 PM
    Allow bb10 devices to connect to windows "shares"

j
    02-01-13 03:06 PM