I'm considering switching from at&t to t-mobile (difference of 40-50% in my monthly bill).
    Before i do switch I want to know if t-mob compares favorably to at&t as far as voice & 3G reception (i'm in boston & travel throughout central Massachusetts).

Thanks
    05-15-12 03:30 PM
    Have you taken a look here?

One advantage TMO has over AT&T is that they allow WiFi and UMA calling. Your 9900 will be capable of WiFi calling. This is a great help where you have WiFi available and TMO's signal is weak (for example, the basement of a house.)
    baldanders and p51 like this.
    05-15-12 03:51 PM
    If you are taking your AT&T 9900 to Tmo, you will not get 3G, you will only get EDGE.
    p51 likes this.
    05-15-12 03:55 PM
    I could just be biased, but I wouldn't go with T-Mo. I recently just switched away from them after 7 years. The costs of their plans are very reasonable, however their customer service has REALLY taken a nosedive and is only bound to get worse. They recently closed down 7 (IIRC) call centers in North America, and I've gotten subpar service at retailers over the past year or so. I had difficulty keeping a signal while on road trips, however I was travelling to rural Kansas and Missouri, so you might have better luck in Mass. All in all I'm glad I switched, but I'm not thrilled with paying a fortune on Verizon. I'm now thinking I should've gone with Sprint.
    p51 and shaleem like this.
    05-15-12 04:00 PM
    If you are taking your AT&T 9900 to Tmo, you will not get 3G, you will only get EDGE.
    Yep with AT&T that T-Mobile 9900 is gonna be running on super duper slow 1x EDGE.
    Your T-mobile 9900 is on 3GH+ which is a little faster than basic 3G and way faster than EDGE 1x(2G)
    p51 likes this.
    05-15-12 04:41 PM
    Yep with AT&T that T-Mobile 9900 is gonna be running on super duper slow 1x EDGE.
    Your T-mobile 9900 is on 3GH+ which is a little faster than basic 3G and way faster than EDGE 1x(2G)
    Later this year T-Mobile is refarming the spectrum to put HSPA+ service in both the 1900 MHz band that are compatible with AT&T phones, and the 1700 MHz AWS bands that they are currently running HSPA+ in. Also they will be putting LTE in the AWS band in 2013. This will allow AT&T phones to work on T-Mobile with HSPA+ service (they will likely offer the iPhone then too).

As for T-Mobile service, I switched from Sprint to T-Mobile in October and couldn't be happier. Cheaper, better technology, the data is so much faster.
    p51, grover5, MoolahMitch and 1 others like this.
    05-15-12 04:55 PM
    Opps I though the OP was switching from T-mobile to AT&T
    yeah thanks for the correction.
    yeah since late last year T-mobile has been able to run AT&T's
    iPhone4S and any H+ device on their networks 3G H+.
    p51 likes this.
    05-15-12 05:07 PM
    Thanks for all the responses. I went to a t-mobile store yesterday. The customer service rep told me that i would get 3G speeds on my BB. I wouldn't be able to get 3G speeds on an iPhone though until later this year. I think I may just stay on at&t...for now.
    05-16-12 03:55 PM
    I just switched back to t-mobile simply because AT&T has far too many network issues for my liking. Also, t-mobile are in the process of refarming their 1900mhz spectrum and by the end of the year their network will provide 3g service on all unlocked AT&T devices also.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    p51 likes this.
    05-16-12 04:48 PM
    If you ever travel outside of major metropolitan areas, you'll regret TMo.
    05-17-12 12:22 AM
    Stay with AT&T. I made the mistake of resigning with T-Mobile, and the service has gone down hill in an area where they claim to have 4G. Let's just say that 4 phones, all different models, all pretty much couldn't connect or were slower than EDGE. CS? Forget it... Used to be stellar, but now it is ridiculous. Reps btw never know anything. Why would an AT&T BB be on 3G but an iPhone wouldn't? Again, T-Mobile is going down the drain.
    p51 likes this.
    05-17-12 12:56 AM
    An important thing to remember is TMO allows for wifi calling. That bridges the coverage gap in many areas. Anyway, I have a 9900 on TMO and I'm pretty happy. I would confirm coverage in your area though.
    MoolahMitch and p51 like this.
    05-17-12 01:02 AM
    I'm considering switching from at&t to t-mobile (difference of 40-50% in my monthly bill).
    Before i do switch I want to know if t-mob compares favorably to at&t as far as voice & 3G reception (i'm in boston & travel throughout central Massachusetts).

Thanks
    Ive been with T-mobile for about a year now and I am very happy with their service. I originally switched from AT&T because they lagged so long on getting the 9900 and a huge selling point for me was that T mobile 9900's can make wifi or uma calls. As for coverage I have no idea how they are in rural areas but I live in a major metropolitan area and they are on par with Verizon and At&t. In regards to their customer service I dont know about other areas but the T mobile shop in my neighborhood is fairly laid back and they were only to happy to sell me a BB unlike Verizon where the salesman attempted to cram an android phone down my throat.So there you have my opinion and AS I said I am thoroughly happy with T-Mobile but YMMV.
    xiaohuaxing and p51 like this.
    05-17-12 01:52 AM

This is what I see. Whenever I go to rural areas if anything works its Verizon first. AT&T second. Sometimes Sprint but often not.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    p51 likes this.
    05-17-12 03:09 AM
    An important thing to remember is TMO allows for wifi calling. That bridges the coverage gap in many areas. Anyway, I have a 9900 on TMO and I'm pretty happy. I would confirm coverage in your area though.
    The coverage problems I had with T-Mo didn't have to do with voice coverage as it did with data coverage. A couple years ago my bro and SIL took an Oktoberfest trip to a winery in the boonies of Missouri. Trying to upload pics and videos on FB was so frustrating. Likewise, my parents live in Sedona, AZ and my parents say that really the only mobile provider that works there is Verizon. Again, when I vacation there it's difficult to upload pics and vids on the spot. I have to wait til we get back to their place so I can hop on their wifi.

And to reiterate...their customer care is really, really awful now. I'm a very patient and understanding person when it comes to customer support. I know you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. But it really, REALLY seems like they hire people off the streets and don't give them proper training on how to resolve issues. There was a gal I always went to for my issues. I noticed I hadn't seen her around at the store for several months. After I switched to Verizon, I went to a Verizon retailer to pick up an extended battery. Lo and behold, there was my gal working there. She remembered me, and we got a huge laugh out of the situation. She says that working for Verizon was a HUGE change from working for T-Mo. She even said "Verizon is an oasis in the T-Mo desert."
    p51 likes this.
    05-17-12 09:40 AM
    When I drive into WV to visit my parents I roam on AT&T there just fine. Part of the breakup for the failed merger was roaming agreements with AT&T.
    p51 likes this.
    05-17-12 09:54 AM
    I've been with TMO about 5 years now and even though their "tech support" leaves a lot to be desired I rarely go to them unless I want them to connect me with RIM for free. My first stop for all technical issues is right here and that would be the case regardless who the carrier was.

AT&T would the last carrier I ever use.
    p51 likes this.
    05-17-12 10:01 AM
    Consistent voice/data service is my biggest concern right now. I travel to several rural areas in Massachusetts, I would hate to be without cell service. I feel at&t definitely price gouges (i pay $103.00-unlimited data,text, & 450 mins plus tax) but that may be the going rate for peace of mind.
    05-17-12 11:08 AM
    Consistent voice/data service is my biggest concern right now. I travel to several rural areas in Massachusetts, I would hate to be without cell service. I feel at&t definitely price gouges (i pay $103.00-unlimited data,text, & 450 mins plus tax) but that may be the going rate for peace of mind.
    That's right around what I pay on Verizon for nearly the same services (I have 4gb of data but I'm almost always on wifi so it may as well be unlimited lol). I pay a LITTLE less than that, though, because I get a discount on my bill through my work.
    p51 likes this.
    05-17-12 11:32 AM
    That's right around what I pay on Verizon for nearly the same services (I have 4gb of data but I'm almost always on wifi so it may as well be unlimited lol). I pay a LITTLE less than that, though, because I get a discount on my bill through my work.
    I am one of the lucky ones that has unlimited data with VZW. But according to the latest news I can see they are about to pry that away. And my bill is plenty high.

I have "eyed" TMO a lot. But I just know I'd be without service when I travel to remote areas.
    p51 likes this.
    05-17-12 03:51 PM
    Do you have friends in your area that have been TMO customers? I would ask them.

Cell reception and data can vary from places to places. Unlike a few people here, I rarely have any issue with both voice and data when I am in rural area. However, I don't frequent those areas that much (no pun intended here )

As for me personally, I have been with TMO for the past 9 years going into 10 in Fall. Talking about loyalty... Because of what I do, TMO plan works best for me. WiFi Calling, inexpensive pro-rated BB international data roaming plan, cheap unlimited international SMS for family (only $5 to add on top of my SMS plan for all 5 lines!!!).

I have to admit though that their CS has declined. I have no comparison to others as I have never switched. For example, when I called CS line, it used to go directly to a live person. These days, it took some good minutes with not so smart automated voice system until I can actually talk to someone. However, they still treat me quite nice and I don't see myself moving my family lines anywhere for a while.

Last but not least, internationally, I always get 3G signal anywhere I go except most Latin countries (sometime it even drops to GPRS) and some Asian countries. Best 3G signal coverage experience is when I am in Europe, both western and eastern. Fastest 3G experience is when I was in Japan. It felt as if it was faster than TMO advertised 4G here in the US

Good luck with your choice.
    marksthespot60 and p51 like this.
    05-17-12 04:56 PM
    I was TMO for many years as a BBerry user - UMA/Wifi was a great option, Intl service and pricing is unbeatable, and the bills are about half of what ATT is.

But really at the end of the day you have to pick what has the best service where you spend most of your time. If TMO has that covered, Id be there again.

I think they currently have $49 for unlimited talk, data, text?
    p51 likes this.
    05-17-12 05:28 PM
    Its' a shame because I was a Tmo customer for years when I lived in Portland,....but when I relocated to SouthEastern KY I just had terrible reception. It was almost sad when I called to terminate my service. Almost like breaking up.

I'm with ATT now and I hate them. HATE THEM! Was super-relieved the govt. shut down the takeover.
    p51 likes this.
    05-17-12 06:56 PM
    I have T mobile and so far i have no complaints...
    p51 likes this.
    05-17-12 09:44 PM
    T-Mobile has the best non-LTE network in the country. I have an Android HSPA+42 phone and I never get less than 10 Mbps download, most times it is above 20 Mbps which is faster than my cable modem.

But I agree, if you are not in a major metropolitan area AT&T might be better.
    p51 likes this.
    05-17-12 09:50 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD