Continuing from this thread here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/blac...e-fail-335415/

I have several questions.

At present, I DO have a data plan AND BIS.

If I discontinue my BIS but keep my data plan, will I be able to:

1. Browse the internet using BB Browser or Opera Mini?
    2. Access my Gmail using Google's application
    3. Use GTalk - with Google's application
    4. Navigate with Google Maps

I DO NOT need or use the BBM, so this is a no-issue for me. If I can use the Gmail application to access my email, I won't be needing the Blackberry email service either.

So, please advise if I can do the things I listed without BIS but with Data Plan?

If you can think of other functionality that is depending on BIS, please let me know

Thank you!
    Last edited by defcon3; 10-14-09 at 05:09 AM.
    10-14-09 05:06 AM
    i believe, as long as internet settings are set up properly, 3rd party browsers will work just fine on a regular data plan. however, im not sure about 3rd party apps. i think only some apps will work, kind of like how only some work over wifi. most require the BB data plan.
    10-14-09 05:11 AM
    Hi there. I was on the same boat as you for a while. I just had a data plan without BIS. Browsing works well either with the built in browser or opera mini. The gmail app works but gTalk requires you to have BIS connection i'm afraid.
    10-14-09 05:24 AM
    Basically, without BIS few 3rd party apps function properly. Which in return means that until I have my BB, I need the BIS so all is in order?..

Anyone tried Google Maps without BIS?
    10-14-09 08:49 AM
    I'm guessing gtalk would require BIS since I think your messages are pushed to you...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-09 09:00 AM
    Google Maps does require BIS.
    10-14-09 11:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD