Siri-like Voice Commands on BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha (Video) - N4BB

Just wondering what you guys think. Do you think Blackberry users want/need this?

Siri on the iPhone, to me, seems more like something for entertainment, rather than productivity. However, the ability to use most functions of the phone will driving via voice command always seems like a plus.
    07-20-12 12:51 PM
    Siri is NOT productive...but it's become something that people expect (Due to the Apple distortion field). If RIM does not do anything like it, people will point that as being a negative; even though they would never use it.

....also BlackBerrys have had Voice Control for years
    Last edited by bbpandy; 07-20-12 at 12:58 PM.
    07-20-12 12:54 PM
    its like the front facign camera, pretty pointless but now a days its seems to be a must.

a Siri like feature wouldn't be a bad thing if it was to access points of the phone while you are driving, what Siri does for most people is like what raj on "the big bang theory" does and talk to it like its a real person in a case liek that its useless and just a shiney bobble to say "hey look what we did we made your phone into a person you no life loser"
    07-20-12 01:00 PM
    I think the main thing about siri and the android voice recognition features is what they are actually capable of doing. It is an amazing technology, particularly on the galaxy nexus as it brings up results so quickly (quicker than siri and s- voice) and they are also very accurate. However, imo its a novelty. I question how many people actually bring it up every single time they wanna do a search on something... It's pointless... You use it for an hour, have fun and never use it again. When I'm on the go and need stuff done, I open the Internet and done.. Or navigate to whatever I need to go to..done in a flash. I would never bring up a voice command every time I need to search for something. Especially when I'm out in public. Talking to my phone and it doesn't want to obey my command so I keep talking to it. Call the psychiatrists. I don't see the point of it tbh looool. And also for what the bb is.. I don't see it fitting in the environment of a bb user who has to get things done... It's time wasting.
    07-20-12 01:14 PM
    its like the front facign camera, pretty pointless but now a days its seems to be a must.

a Siri like feature wouldn't be a bad thing if it was to access points of the phone while you are driving, what Siri does for most people is like what raj on "the big bang theory" does and talk to it like its a real person in a case liek that its useless and just a shiney bobble to say "hey look what we did we made your phone into a person you no life loser"
    Pointless for you, but not for people who use Skype.
    07-20-12 01:43 PM
    Pointless for you, but not for people who use Skype.
    when the concept of a front facing camera came out there was no skype on a smartphone, normal pueple went on a computer with an HD camera and high speed connection with a larger screen to skype. its really just a novelty to have a front facign camera, when you really think about it talkign to a family member on a computer and being able to see them one a larger screen is much better then using a smart phone with a wee little 4" screen.

thats the way we talk to my family that is living in argentina, this way everyone is able to talk and view not just one person
    07-20-12 02:18 PM

BlackBerrys already do that. For years Ive been using Voice control to make calls while driving....That's the only thing I use voice for...I've tried using voice control for other things, like having it read any SMS or Emails I got while driving but found they were not that productive for me, so I went back to just phone commands.
    07-20-12 02:29 PM
    when the concept of a front facing camera came out there was no skype on a smartphone, normal pueple went on a computer with an HD camera and high speed connection with a larger screen to skype. its really just a novelty to have a front facign camera, when you really think about it talkign to a family member on a computer and being able to see them one a larger screen is much better then using a smart phone with a wee little 4" screen.

thats the way we talk to my family that is living in argentina, this way everyone is able to talk and view not just one person
    That's great if you're home or next to a computer. What if you're not? Why can't it be a good thing that someone could do that on their phone? What works for you, may not work for everyone.
    pantlesspenguin and Drew808 like this.
    07-20-12 02:32 PM
    I've discovered a few more commands:

- "Facebook Status" + msg
    - "Twitter" + msg
    - "BBM" + msg
    - "Map"
    - "Directions" + msg
    07-20-12 03:36 PM
    Funny how so many here love POYNT, but don't see any use for SIRI.

Try searching for a local restaurant, checking movie times, finding a phone number or address for a local store. Poynt is great, but very difficult to use while driving. Now ask someone with an iPhone to do the same task with Siri...

I bet everyone laughed at the guy that wanted to put a camera on a phone...
    07-20-12 03:39 PM
    I havent really used voice software much on my bb...i have vlingo but it seems the technology isn't quite as advanced as we'd like it to be, to really be useful day in and day out.

Maybe its cuz of pop culture, but if im talking to my phone/computer i expect to be able to talk to it like Tony Stark talks to his iron man suit/software butler. And the tech, while making leaps and bounds, isn't quite there yet.

Then again, i haven't used the iphone 4s, so i dont know how similar the siri experience is to that.
    Last edited by Knightcrawler; 07-20-12 at 04:38 PM.
    07-20-12 04:03 PM
    My boyfriend got rid of his 2-week-old iPhone 4 to get a 4S for Siri...and he's used it twice. Literally twice.

PS: Love Poynt.
    BBisthefuture likes this.
    07-20-12 04:04 PM
    I use Google Now numerous times a day. It's nice to just tap once, and use voice recognition to set reminders, alarms, schedule appointments, search, etc..

I use it more often than I had initially thought I would.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    07-20-12 04:16 PM

1. I'm pretty sure there was already a Skype app on Android when the Evo came out, and IIRC smartphones in other countries (and maybe even some in the US) have had FFC for years.

2. When my brother and sister in law start having kids, and one of them wants to sing a song to his/her Auntie Penguin, and Auntie Penguin happens to be in line at the bank, you bet your behind I'll be glad to have Skype and a FFC on my phone!
    07-20-12 04:36 PM
    When i first saw the video, the first thought that pop into my head was Vlingo. It is still pretty simple voice command style where you have to use specific keywords to achieve specific task. Where as SIRI uses a more natural manner of speech.
    07-20-12 08:58 PM
    I said on the front page I think voice integration is going to be very important in the car. If the goal is "hands on the wheel, eyes on the road" car integration will probably be very linked to voice. Already seeing it with things like Ford Sync. If RIM in going to integrate BB10 with the car - I really believe that strong voice software is going to be very important.
    07-20-12 10:22 PM
    I think siri is useless! Why do you need to talk to your phone? And since I'm a 9900 user, I rather type out what I need eh.
    07-20-12 11:05 PM
    Voice commands that are native on BB10 would be good of course, but they showed nothing of that sort during Blackberry World, which leads me to think that maybe RIM isn't even considering that feature.

That would be rather sad btw. I really am hoping for RIM to really go balls out with BB10...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Speedygi; 07-21-12 at 01:46 AM.
    07-20-12 11:07 PM
    Funny how so many here love POYNT, but don't see any use for SIRI.

Try searching for a local restaurant, checking movie times, finding a phone number or address for a local store. Poynt is great, but very difficult to use while driving. Now ask someone with an iPhone to do the same task with Siri...

I bet everyone laughed at the guy that wanted to put a camera on a phone...
    umm you havn't used Siri have you?....I have an iphone 4S (laying around somewhere with a dead battery) it's hard enouph getting her to do what you want when you sitting in a quiet room. Using her while driving with background noise would be SO frustrating I would probably end up crashing my car because I was busy swearing at Siri & not watching the road
    07-21-12 03:01 PM
    Voice commands that are native on BB10 would be good of course, but they showed nothing of that sort during Blackberry World, which leads me to think that maybe RIM isn't even considering that feature.

That would be rather sad btw. I really am hoping for RIM to really go balls out with BB10...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Well check the main page of CrackBerry because it looks like BlackBerry 10 will have SIRI like features.
    07-21-12 05:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD